Balcony

Scorpiorose

Ok....I'm new to Hal!!! I've been sailing RCCL - it's comparable line to eachother correct?

Any perks ya know about, tricks?

How does the dining work?

What are the Balconies like? The one on RCCL had metal around the edges so it distracted a bit from the view.

What is the food like?

Enlighten me, I'm dying for info!!!:p

Ok....I'm new to Hal!!! I've been sailing RCCL - it's comparable line to eachother correct?

Any perks ya know about, tricks?

How does the dining work?

What are the Balconies like? The one on RCCL had metal around the edges so it distracted a bit from the view.

What is the food like?

Enlighten me, I'm dying for info!!!:p

Welcome to the HAL board.

I wouldn't say the cruise lines are at all comparable. I say this having sailed both lines and for the last 6 years, exclusively HAL.

HAL now offers the choices of both traditional and as you wish dining. It will depend on how soon you book before your cruise sails as to whether you will get traditional seating (if you request it). They do waitlist if that's what you prefer and there are no spots left when you book.

The standard balconies are plexiglass but some on the Vista class ships are solid so you can't see the view while seated. These solid rails are indicated on the deck plans on HAL's website.

Food is subjective; it can be great to not so great depending on your personal tastes as on any cruise line. There are alternate dining venues for all 3 meals including comlimentary room service in all cabin categories.

HAL has the best beds at sea, the largest standard and deluxe cabins, the friendliest crew, and the amenities are wonderful without the "nickel and diming" as on other lines.

See the sticky on this page for the :classes and categories of HAL ships to begin with, and please do ask specific questions as we all like to share information about our favorite cruise line.

Again, welcome

Grannynurse

Welcome to the HAL section.

We did one RCI cruise years and years ago - so I really can't compare anymore.

It depends on the class of ship and the cabin category that you choose for the type of balcony you will have.

On the S class ships (Statendam, Veendam, Ryndam, Maasdam) and the R class ships (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Zaandam and Volendam) -- the balconies are the older type - solid metal about 3 feet high and then 2 bars of metal a few inches apart going higher and then a wooden rail.

On the Vista class ships all the verandahs have the plexiglass which is about 4 feet high - difficut to see over the top when seated.

The size of the verandahs depends on the category that you choose.

We have done 45 cruises on HAL and have had good food and bad food.

We had a chef on one ship who was new and we all figured that his instructions to his staff was to burn the food. Everything that came from the kitchen was burned.

A lot depends on the chef and his interpretation of the menus that are supplied by Seattle. Some spice up the dishes while others make everything bland.

And of course what one person likes, another person may not like.

We just got back from the zuierdam. The food was great. I get migranes from foods so if I find food that I do not get a migriane from I just keep getting the same thing. The steaks are great! If you order beef order it one less than you like. I like mine med rare so I order it rare by the time it gets to the table it is perfect. I took a class from a chef a long time ago and he always said to do that when there are a lot of meals being served at the same time. As for my other favorites the onion soup is great and you can order a garden salad and I always change my mind to have dessert when I see the desserts. Enjoy your cruise!

Like Target compares to Macy's! :D Our one RCCL cruise is the only one I was ever happy to see end.

Great information!

I guess I still don't quite get dine the way you wish....our cruise is in Nov so it's coming up and I may not get the traditional dining. So what is the other type like. We usually enjoy meeting table mates..:o

Well we love RCCL so I guess we'll more than love HAL!!!

We had fun on Miracle as well, but the food was bad bad bad!

Great information!

I guess I still don't quite get dine the way you wish....our cruise is in Nov so it's coming up and I may not get the traditional dining. So what is the other type like. We usually enjoy meeting table mates..:o

Well we love RCCL so I guess we'll more than love HAL!!!

We had fun on Miracle as well, but the food was bad bad bad!

Hi Scorpiorose..welcome to HAL When in November are you sailing???

"As You wish Dining" is simply that you can eat on the lower level of the main dining room anytime from 5:30 to 9pm. you will be seated at an available table if you just show up. OR You may call in advance any day starting at 8am and ask for a table for 2 or more at 7:30 or whenever.

Many of us like traditional because we enjoy the same table, servers, tablemates etc for the entire cruise.

HAL is a cut above Royal in atmosphere and ambiance. It's more relaxed, not as frantic, no urging to participate in activities, more refined, and caters to a different demographic. We enjoyed Royal in the 1980's and 90's, now we like HAL and are at home onboard all their ships. We like the fresh flowers everywhere, the cloth towels in the public restrooms, the very personal service, and the wonderful cabins.

Hope this helps,

GN

Whether you will like HAL over Royal Caribbean really depends on what you are looking for.

Royal Caribbean is better at the following: There are more activities on Royal Caribbean and the ships (at least their newer one's) have amenities such as Rock Climbing Walls, Ice Skating Rinks, Mini Golf, Surfing etc.

Holland America tends to be a little more upscale and has nice touches such as cloth towels in the public bathrooms, lots of fresh flowers, fancier furniture on the balcony etc.

The average age on HAL is significantly higher than Royal Caribbean and as such the entetainment is geared towards a higher age on HAL. There is also far more nightlife on Royal Caribbean. There are significantly fewer children on HAL on most cruises. People tend to dress up more on HAL and often stay dressed up after dinner.

The spas are run by the same company so are similar on both lines, but the spas on HAL do often have nice Thalasotherapy Pools and rooms with heated ceramic recliners that are very nice, though it costs extra to use these rooms. The gym is comprable.

Food is rather subjective. I found the buffet to be better on HAL but the main dining room and specialty restaurants better on Royal Caribbean. I found the quality of service from the staff approximately equal on both lines.

I also found the staterooms comprable with the exception of the balcony on HAL being much nicer (teak deck and wicker furniture versus metal deck and cheap plastic furniture). My wife did complain that the vanity on HAL was poor and had limited space and lighting for applying make up / doing her hair; she found Royal Caribbean's vanity far more practical for this.

So all in all, you will find some things the same and some rather different. Whether you like it more, the less, or the same really has to do with what you are looking for (i.e. having lots of activitives and stayting up late at night in a festive atmosphere versus being pampered more, having a more elegang ambiance, and a relaxing experience).

Archived