Remember this old lady? Neiuw Amsterdam.

Maybe it is just nostalgia, but I can't forget my first short, inexpensive (we had little discretionary money then) cruise in the Caribbean. It was aboard the Neiuw Amsterdam. My DW surprised me with the trip on Christmas morning and we sailed a week later. Took off from Tampa, were we lived and sailed under the skyway bridge. We had an inside cabin. It was the most incredible experience! I wonder about that ship...many cruises later. It was small, like the Noordam, but beautiful! Do you have any memories of her? I know now she is called the "Patriot" sailing the Hawaiian Islands for her new owners. This is a brief description:

The 33,930 grt 1,350 passenger vessel was not considered small when built, but is dwarfed today by the megaships which have taken over the industry. Built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique in France, Nieuw Amsterdam entered service in July 1983. While many ships built in the early '80's looked ahead in their design, Holland America wanted the Nieuw Amsterdam to be traditional in style. Swimming pools were situated aft, on the navigation deck and lido; lifeboats were suspended away from the upper decks. The magnificent, full, teak promenade deck has always been a favorite with cruise aficionados. On board decor featured polished rosewood and teak with an absence of chrome, vinyl and plastic. Passengers enjoyed a comfortable cruise in elegant surroundings.

This Boat (I mean ship) got me hooked on Holland America lines...

BOTH the old Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam were terrific ships and our introduction to HAL. Our first cruise outside "Princess" was on one of those 2 ships [?] with our cousins -who are Princess fans/LOTS of nightlife - and they still cruise Princess; HAL was too laid-back for them. WE OTOH, had found a home and have nearly 450 days on HAL.

On ONE of our later cruises we had a large cabin on the second-floor level behind the main activities room [above] and just behind the bar area ; we thought it COULD be WAY too noisy; It was WONDERFUL -there was a door separating the rooms and the balcony to the activities. One UNEXPECTED at-sea day the crew was scrambling for activities and planned a morning of large scale cooking ideas [ mostly Asian; how to do Egg-roll, for example] and had 8 or 9 "stations" set up with "instructors" showing how to make things. We wandered in ABOVE and were looking over the balcony JUST as the "sample" trays were being carried out of the kitchen. I remarked to my DH "Its LESS than an hour after most people have had breakfast- I HATE to see THAT much food go to waste -but I expect everyone's FULL" Someone brought in plates and before you could SNEEZE -the line was long/people taking samples -and within 15 MINUTES the place was empty!!!!!!It looked like an ATTACK of VULTURES!!!! Nothing left!

With great GOOD humor, crew came out/cleared everything like tables/trays/dishes away.

Our cousins like LOTS of organized activities all day [ and night] long. We're more the kind that visits with new friends/read a book/ take a nap/ see a movie/ go our OWN way. We LOVED those old ships; They were perfect! Of course the NEWEST ones are "Perfect" too! :)

We've yet to find another lounge that feels like the Piet Hein.

What a wonderful lounge for pre/after dinner drinks.

Loved it.

(Not to say we don't love Ocean Bars on all the ships. ;)

We've yet to find another lounge that feels like the Piet Hein.

What a wonderful lounge for pre/after dinner drinks.

Loved it.

(Not to say we don't love Ocean Bars on all the ships. ;)

I agree the entire ship had a different feel to it. I still prefer the Crows Nest on the Noordam III. It was smaller, darker and more intimate than todays Crows Nests. And before automatic doors they had a crew member to open the door for you from the Lido to the outside seating for those people carrying a full tray. Different ships and different times, but good memories.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived