extra charges

Things that I have experienced on other cruise lines that I have not experienced on HAL:

The only bar service offered to folks on deck chairs comes from bar servers who walk around with trays loaded with half melted, very expensive "drinks of the day" -- usually in a "free" souvenir glass

The majority of the activities offered during sea days involve an extra charge

A waiter visiting our table at the end of the dinner meal each evening carrying a tray full of glasses of extra charge after dinner cordials

A waiter coming to the table and pushing the sale of a book of cruise line recipes

The "perk" offered to repeat cruisers is a coupon book that offers nothing free, just small discounts on all sorts of extra charge ships products and services

Attending a "spa seminar" that offers no real advice other than to demonstrate expensive spa products that are for sale (though it is possible that this also happens on HAL -- I no longer go to the spa seminars)

Having the last 15 minutes of paid time for my spa treatment spent trying to sell me expensive spa products -- this, in all honesty, has happened to me on HAL once or twice -- but to HAL's credit usually either the offer is not made or if I cut it off early and say no there is no pressure to purchase

Lots of intercom announcements that remind cruisers to attend various upcoming revenue producing events on board

What would you consider nickel and diming to be?

The ones that charge extra for "ice cream"

The ones that charge extra for "room service"

The ones that charge extra for "pizza"

HAL, like other cruise lines, does charge for sodas and specialty coffee drinks as well as alcoholic beverages. However, HAL never charges for ice cream, pizza, or room service (including hot breakfast, and dinner from the dining room menu), and gives you free cappucinos after dinner in the dining room (decaf and/or nonfat versions too). There are also some free canapes in the bars before dinner, and some free chocolates afterwards if you know where to look (hint: Explorers Lounge).

There is a spectrum of cruise lines according to what is included and what is not included. (Nothing is ever "free.") In general, the higher the median price for a stateroom the more that is included. Pay $$$$ for a luxury cruise on Silversea and your wine and bar drinks are included; pay slightly less for a luxury cruise on Crystal and all specialty coffees and soft drinks are included, as well as dinner at the two specialty restaurants.

Or go really cheap on easyCruise and be grateful to have a hook to hang your clothes on, and pay 5 Euro's for a salad. So where is HAL on the continuum? More than mass market and less than luxury.

and some free chocolates afterwards if you know where to look (hint: Explorers Lounge).

We discovered the chocolates in the Explorer's Lounge around the 4th day of our cruise. Nobody else seemed to be touching them. They were good :).

I didn't feel nickel-and-dimed at all, but then we don't drink soda. I would expect to pay for alcoholic drinks -- or mocktails -- anywhere. When I did order one, including at deck chairs, they were always freshly made and excellent.

No extra charge for pizza or ice cream. No announcements selling anything. On the very first day someone tried to sell us a soda card and it took three "no thank you"s before he stopped, but that was only once. Bar waiters came to the dining room table once at the start of the meal and asked about dinner drinks, and that was it. They weren't pushy.

The ones that charge extra for "ice cream"

The ones that charge extra for "room service"

The ones that charge extra for "pizza"

As for HAL(and Princess IIRC), I think they only charge for ice cream (other than what's available in the Lido), just as they charge for specialty coffee, wine, beer etc.

The room service and pizza was free.

I have sailed on HAL, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity and have found equal degrees of nickel and diming on all three. They all charge for soda, alcohol, pictures, spa treatment, shore excursions etc. Most of the entertainment (i.e. shows, gym, comedian) are free on all the lines. All these lines have free room service and have specilaty restaurants (with surcharge) in addition to free options for meals. The spas are actually operated by the same company on all three of these lines so their procedures are virtually indistinguishable across the three lines. The cruise lines certainly do have differences, but in terms of level of nickel and diming they are pretty much the same on the one's I have frequented.

Archived