Documents needed

We have passports but upon filling out the advance registration for NCL, read that we also need photo id's i.e. license for identification, which two of us don't have.

Why would NCL require a driver's license in addition to a passport? Isn't the reason for a passport to identify oneself?

I think you need 2 pieces of PHOTO ID - Although I've only ever had to use my passport at the dock - it's the airlines that may want the second piece (if you are using airlines) Most US citizens only require a birth certificate and one piece of photo ID. You may want to go back and re-read the NCL requirements - it probably says either or. Really does depend on where you are cruising to.

We have passports but upon filling out the advance registration for NCL, read that we also need photo id's i.e. license for identification, which two of us don't have.

Why would NCL require a driver's license in addition to a passport? Isn't the reason for a passport to identify oneself?

I think you may be misreading it. I know when I filled out the form for my April cruise I only had passport info for one of the travelers. I'm not sure if he even has a license. Of course things may have changed since then. but like you said, I can't figure out why they would need more than one.

"valid passport or birth certificate along with a government issued photo ID (16 years or older)."

This is what the requirement is. It means you have to have A) a passport OR B) a combination of birth certificate and photo ID. Hope that helps clarify.

remember, you had to send in your birth certificate to get your passport...plus it's a government document, with your photo...

if you have the passport, you have it all.

the birth certifiticate AND government issued photo ID..is the package you need if you don't have a passport.

The following is what confused me. This is from NCL's advance registration form. If they put a "However" before "U.S. Citizens, it would be clear, but the way they have it sound like you need both.

Note: In addition to your proof of citizenship document, proof of identity must also be presented on embarkation day for all persons 16 years of age and older (i.e., valid driver's license that includes a photograph or government identification card that includes a physical description).

U.S. Citizens traveling to Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean require one of the following documents:

• Passport
  • State Issued Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Report of Birth Abroad

Thanks for the input, I guess it depends on how you read it and where you read it. I'll try to get everyone who doesn't have a license to get a DMV id just in case.

You do not need to do that. If you have a passport, that is all you need. Really. Trust the folks here that travel all the time.

This is a case where the old "better safe than sorry" is a waste of time.

My license and passport experience has been this:

In August 2007, I flew from Philly to Orlando on Airtran when I went thru security at both airports, I handed them my passport and they said, no ... they wanted my drivers license. I had to put down all my bags & pull that out. What an inconveniece and when I questioned them, they said they need my ID. I couldn't understand it and wasn't going to get into ... it was security. I wasn't going to be an unruly passenger ... if you know what I mean.

In June 2007, I drove to NYC and got on the Carnival Miracle. They asked for our tickets, passports and drivers licences. My DH said we have passports only for the kids, they questioned their age (6 and 16) they said that was fine for them, but they needed our drivers license. Then when we were getting on and off the ship in all ports Carnival wanted our room key and our drivers licenses. Once I was on the ship I never had to pull out my passport again.

So I'm not sure what to suggest to REEINCRUISER (the OP), but this has been my expereincese. Maybe it just depends on who you talk to that day, what mood they are in or what, but it could cause a sense of worry.

I would contact the port as well as the cruise line directly and have them forward you something in writing as to what they require; make sure they provide their name and contact information. Because if you fulfill the requirements and someone asks you for something you don't have, but yet have fulfilled the ID requirements you have documentation of who told you what you needed and you should be covered.

Yes, in our many cruises I am often asked for Drivers License. I tell them I do not have one and then you witness a mild brain fart as they realize the passport is a GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID. And, all is well. Yes, I have a DL, but like to have fun sometimes. Remember who you are dealing with.

By the way, they will beat into your head that you had better have your shipboard ID/room key with you or you can not get back on the ship. This is almost true. In reality, people do loose them while out and about. They just double check you when you board. And, if there is the extra rent a cop on the pier, they might walk you over to the ship and hand you off. On a recent cruise I stood around by the desk a few minutes and witnessed lots of people without their shipboard ID.

Going to Bemuda and have a passport for the ship. My drivers license has to be renewed in September. Leaving for the cruise in early October, so I probably won't receive my new drivers license card in time to fly to New York. I will have the old card and they will give me a receipt stating that I renewed my license. Will I have any trouble at LAX with my old drivers license? Never had to deal with this. One more thing to worry about.

Going to Bemuda and have a passport for the ship. My drivers license has to be renewed in September. Leaving for the cruise in early October, so I probably won't receive my new drivers license card in time to fly to New York. I will have the old card and they will give me a receipt stating that I renewed my license. Will I have any trouble at LAX with my old drivers license? Never had to deal with this. One more thing to worry about.

You will have absolutely no problem checking in at LAX with your passport. No need to worry about not having a current DL.

Again. Your passport is a government issued photo ID. It will work just fine for EVERYTHING.

By the way, the TSA seems to be more concerned with things like your name and ID matching and the expiration date than whether or not you are a bad guy. I doubt they would allow just a receipt, but since you have a passport, no problem.

It really depends upon your ports of call. We were in Europe and for some countries, the passports stayed with the purser (not too popular with the passengers) and everyone needed photo id for off/on the ship. I know we did a Mexican Riviera cruise and San Diego was the most stringent port for id (and let's face it, as an American you are unlikely to walk are San Diego with your passport). Ship's cards are not enough id. It is tougher with kids but over the years we have had picture ids like a gym membership, a transit pass and a soccer card and those were fine. At least be aware of the requirement and then decide how you want to deal with it.

Archived