4 Days Post Cruise - Seeking Kenai Penninsula Advice Please

TeeBuccs

DH and I will be arriving in Whittier August 12 (2009) and this time around, I would like to rent a car and do a few days on land just ourselves (vs. last time the cruise tour.) Last time we ventured up northward to Denali, this time would like to stay down in the SE area and get to know the area.

We are not big into museums and history but more the outdoor, active sorts. We both love fishing and wildlife viewing, hikes, rafting and active things like these. I am considering two nights in Homer area, maybe one in Seward or somewhere and one in Anchorage. Any ideas for what we can do in these areas?

In mid August is it worth doing a stay a Hallo Bay (not cheap) vs. day bear viewing trip. Is Brooks Falls even an option this time of year? Any help is greatly appreciated as I have never been to these areas yet and want to go ahead and reserve accomodations and excursions now.

Thanks!

DH and I will be arriving in Whittier August 12 (2009) and this time around, I would like to rent a car and do a few days on land just ourselves (vs. last time the cruise tour.) Last time we ventured up northward to Denali, this time would like to stay down in the SE area and get to know the area.

We are not big into museums and history but more the outdoor, active sorts. We both love fishing and wildlife viewing, hikes, rafting and active things like these. I am considering two nights in Homer area, maybe one in Seward or somewhere and one in Anchorage. Any ideas for what we can do in these areas?

In mid August is it worth doing a stay a Hallo Bay (not cheap) vs. day bear viewing trip. Is Brooks Falls even an option this time of year? Any help is greatly appreciated as I have never been to these areas yet and want to go ahead and reserve accomodations and excursions now.

Thanks!

If you do get to Homer, be sure to take a trip to Halibut cove.

We were in Homer last 2 years and the highlight last year was the trip to Halibut cove.

Many interesting local folk but the most interesting was this artist [cant remember her name just now] She had paintings from Octopus ink that she was displaying. A fascinating and delightful person to meet and talk with.

Be sure also,should you go, to take the Skyline drive above Homer for breathtaking views of the Spit and the Bay.

We stayed at a beautiful B&B with Kevin and Donna Maltz -

A Memorable Experience it was named..... and it sure was.

Homer,like Seward on the other side of the Kenai Peninsular is a place worth visiting time and again....

Lu

Spent 2 days in Seward last year and just left there yesterday after 1-1/2 days. Wonderful things to do in Seward. Alaska Sealife Center, Godwin's sled dog excursion on top of a glacier (we did this yesterday and it was simply spectacular). Take a hike to Exit Glacier just outside of town. Take a Kenai Fjords boat tour - one of the highlights of this area. Seward is worth 2 days, at least!

Thanks!

Few suggestions from a part time Homer resident:

Hallo Bay is WELL WORTH THE MONEY. The silver salmon should just start arriving when you arrive. The bears will head to the ocean to start "power feeding" to get ready for winter. The later in the month of August you go to Hallo Bay, the more bears you will see. I have been there the first week in September several times and it just seems like it is wall to wall bears.

Brooks is only good in July and September-the bears feed on Red Salmon in Brooks and they are not spawning in August.

For a truly fantastic fishing trip-try the double limit overnight. 4 halibut per person in about 16 hours. The boat is very nice, the crew is good. You will see lots of sea otters, bird and sometimes even a whale. And since you are fishing at the end of your trip, you can have Coal Point fillet and freeze your fish and take them home on the plane with you. Will have to pay 2nd or maybe even 3rd bag charge, but a darn sight cheaper than shipping them home. We do it EVERY year.

http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/overnight_fishing_trips.htm

http://www.welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

There are many, many little day trips out of Homer. Someone already mentioned Halibut Cove. There is Seldovia, there is a trip to Gull Island and the Rookery for lunch. There is a dinner cruise to the Rookery which is really nice. We have taken Mako's water taxi to Seldovia and rented ATV's to ride around. It was a fun afternoon.

http://www.ottercoveresort.com/rookery.htm

http://seldovia.com/nav_transportation.htm

And something you won't want to miss. The Fritz Creek grocery store. You just have to head out East End Road to find it. A true throw back to 1960's Venice Beach California-hippie skirts and all. Their baklava is some of the best I have eaten worldwide and their soups are thick and meaty and make a full meal. Check out the community bulletin board-another 1960's hippie commune idea.

I could go on an on. There is a lot to do in Homer. Feel free to ask questions-I will try to answer. Homer is my second favorite place in the world (Phnom Phen Cambodia being my favorite-I know, I'm weird).

Last year we spent 2 days in Homer and 2 in Seward. I preferred Homer, but that may have been partly due to better weather when we were there. It seemed less touristy, in spite of the crowded Spit, and more reasonably priced.

(Edited)

Any ideas for what we can do in these areas?

Great advice from Greatam. Brought back a ton of memories. We lived in Kenai, and other parts of Alaska, but Homer is my #1 favorite place in the whole state. During the drive from Soldotna to Homer you will see beautiful views of Cook Inlet and the mountains across the water. Probably even some smoking volcanoes.

this time would like to stay down in the SE area and get to know the area.

quote]

Just so you know, SE is the area you will be cruising: Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Skagway, etc. The other area you will be visiting (Whittier, Kenai Peninsula, Anchorage) are considered SC (or southcentral). It gets confusing, I know. This site has a pretty accurate description of the regions of Alaska: http://www.alaska.com/places/regions/sc/story/4524697p-4501345c.html

We spent a few days in Seward last year and 4 days in Homer this year. We did the trip out to Otter Cove and the Rookery restaurant, and an all day halibut charter with Homer Ocean Charters. Bur if you do nothing else, book the full day kayak trip with St. Augustine's Kayak in Homer. Hands down, best excursion ever. :)

If you do get to Homer, be sure to take a trip to Halibut cove.

We were in Homer last 2 years and the highlight last year was the trip to Halibut cove.

Many interesting local folk but the most interesting was this artist [cant remember her name just now] She had paintings from Octopus ink that she was displaying. A fascinating and delightful person to meet and talk with.

Be sure also,should you go, to take the Skyline drive above Homer for breathtaking views of the Spit and the Bay.

We stayed at a beautiful B&B with Kevin and Donna Maltz -

A Memorable Experience it was named..... and it sure was.

Homer,like Seward on the other side of the Kenai Peninsular is a place worth visiting time and again....

Lu

Lu, We're going to be staying two nights at A Memorable Experience and your comment about it makes me even more excited about staying there! I'm going to google Halibut Cove, but can you tell me how you get there?

We are leaving for Alaska 1 month from today and I'm so looking forward to our 10 days prior to our Southbound on the Volendam!

Lu, We're going to be staying two nights at A Memorable Experience and your comment about it makes me even more excited about staying there! I'm going to google Halibut Cove, but can you tell me how you get there?

We are leaving for Alaska 1 month from today and I'm so looking forward to our 10 days prior to our Southbound on the Volendam!

You get to Halibut Cove by boat: http://www.centralcharter.com/HalibutCove.htm

Donna and Kevin will give you the low down on the best boat to Halibut Cove,. Its a great trip across the bay....

They are a delightful couple and own a great little cafe that does a marvellous breakfast and plenty of other good meals.

Are you staying in their cottage? or in the main house...?

My wife and I stayed in their cottage and it was great...

We are envious of you..

We are going on the TP -14 day cruise 6th August so will not be visiting Homer this year.

Lu

[ my email is luapram @gmail.com if you want any other info]

Thanks for all the great advice all. I am pretty excited about visiting the Homer area. Still researching doing bear viewing at Hallo Bay vs. Emerald Air. Just want to be sure to get the most bear viewing opportunity we can - although I don't know we can spend the night.

Anyone who has stayed at Hallo Bay overnight? Question: What do you do with all the luggage? Coming off cruise we will have a lot of "stuff." Do we just leave in rental car? If so, where do we park it and ensure safety?

Also - as much as I love fishing, not sure about doing it for 16 hours. I am assuming there are some great 1/2 day charters. Looked online and there are a million names. How do you know which company to select???? Any thoughts?

Finally, when staying in Homer area for one night - would like a nice place to stay. I don't mind basic ammenties but hubby likes nice places. What is considered the nicest there vs. affordable and decent?

Thanks all you experts you!!!

Thanks for all the great advice all. I am pretty excited about visiting the Homer area. Still researching doing bear viewing at Hallo Bay vs. Emerald Air. Just want to be sure to get the most bear viewing opportunity we can - although I don't know we can spend the night.

Anyone who has stayed at Hallo Bay overnight? Question: What do you do with all the luggage? Coming off cruise we will have a lot of "stuff." Do we just leave in rental car? If so, where do we park it and ensure safety?

Also - as much as I love fishing, not sure about doing it for 16 hours. I am assuming there are some great 1/2 day charters. Looked online and there are a million names. How do you know which company to select???? Any thoughts?

Finally, when staying in Homer area for one night - would like a nice place to stay. I don't mind basic ammenties but hubby likes nice places. What is considered the nicest there vs. affordable and decent?

There are a number of places to stay for 1 night. A Best Western I think in town but if you can afford 1 night at Lands End hotel, your husband may like that.

Lands End hotel is at the end of the Spit in Homer,probably a bit overpriced but certainly a great location...

Lu

Take the Hallo Bay day trip if you don't want to spend a couple nights. Went with Emerald Air a few years ago. We spent more time flying around LOOKING for bears instead of on the ground looking AT bears. The Hallo Bay owners LIVE there from mid May-mid September. They KNOW where the bears are daily.

I have spent a total of about 12 nights over the last 8 years at Hallo Bay. It is a fantastic experience. BUT in your time frame, save the money and just do the day trip. On the overnights, sometimes you get to fly with Andy (Homer Air's pilot) to another area and sometimes you just stay in the camp and take long walks to see the bears. Depends on how many day trippers there are decides whether you get to fly on days 2 and 3. Sometimes you walk a long ways and only see a couple of bears. But flying in, anytime the salmon are running, guarantees the bears are in the oceans fishing and Andy will land as close to them as he can. And since you are going early August, the salmon may not be running heavily enough to have a great experience on days 2 and 3 IF you have to go for a long walk.

Luggage-leave it at Hallo Bay's B & B, leave it in the rental car at whatever hotel you book.

On the double limit overnight trip, you fish (or at least I do and I HATE to fish) until you catch your limit (about an hour after you get to "the spot"). Then hit the bunks until you feel like getting up and fishing again after midnight. I can fish for about 3 hours total, read my books, sleep, and watch the wildlife. Lots of food for later in the year and a very peaceful experience. But if 16 hours on the boat is too much, IMHO, the best crew and boat in Homer is the MV Jackpot. Bookable on the Spit in a little kiosk-Rainbow tours. Early morning is MUCH better-the sea otters are so thick, it is amazing. And they are all eating their breakfast, carrying around their rocks.

http://www.rainbowtours.net/

BEST place???? Supposedly LandsEnd. We co-own one of the condos. Those are very nice. The hotel is pretty fancy, but IMHO, the management sucks now (they changed management almost 3 years ago). But it is full all the time, so maybe it is just me. Food is VERY good in the restaurant and the view is incredible from the bar/dining room. I make it a point to hang out there at dusk when the fishing fleet comes in for the day.

http://www.lands-end-resort.com/

http://landsendlodges.com/index.html

A REALLY nice place, with a fantastic view, right in the middle of the action. Only good for two people. They say 4, but it would be crowded.

http://www.sealiongallery.com/cove/

Otherwise, there is everything from hostels to a wealth of B & B's, to Best Western. Hallo Bay also owns a B & B and has great rates if you are going to fly to Hallo Bay.

Enjoy!!!!

We spent two wonderful but cold and wet days in Seward. Arrived by train.

We stayed at Seward Windsong Lodge. Beautiful place and setting. It is outside town but shuttle runs from lodge on the hour. Always on time.

Here's what we did:

Sea Life Center - wasn't worth it to us. I'm a teacher and seems geared toward school children. Lots of video exhibits and touch stuff. Wish we hadn't wasted our time.

Exit Glacier tour from National Park Service (office near small boat harbor) Free glacier tours at 12 - 2- 4. Our hotel was charging 28 and most others in town 15.

Walked trail that circled harbor Eagles and otters everywhere.

Renoun tours Kenai Fjords Tour - 6hr - Fantastic and one of the high points of trip. Park Ranger Tom and Captain Eric were super. Very informative and we saw soooo much wildlife. A humpback breeched 5 times right next to boat. Lunch is provided - bagel (either turkey or sm salmon), cookie, potato salad, apple and unlimited drinks. We were also about 500 ft from glacier. Capt turned off engines and everyone was silent for about 10 min to listen to glacer. Wonderful. It also calved for us. Only problem was it was COLD (6-21). Even with 4 layers - under armour - sweats - jacket - coat I was freezing. Day was overcast and windy. Far better than the whale watching in Juneau.

Good places to eat. - Chinooks - seafood, Crab pot - steak, seafood, bakery across from small boat harbor.

Mrsosci

Archived