Logistical Nightmare! Ugh...

yuckylucky

In theory, the plan of my husband debarking early from the ship to take a transfer from Whittier to Anchorage while the three of us remained on the ship made sense. He'd go and pick up our RV, head back through Whittier to grab us, and we'd head to Seward to begin our land exploration.

It seems as though this isn't going to work. While looking for transfers from Whitter to Anchorage, it appears it's basically a "tour" transfer at a minimum of $50 per person getting to Anchorage between 12-1pm. This means it will cost us $200 to get to Anchorage to pick up an RV only to have to drive back past the port as we head on our way. I was hoping to avoid having all of us transfer, as it seems a waste of money and time. (We took a Portage Glacier tour and visited Big Game on our last cruise...hence, not an issue if we don't tour)

Has anyone heard of other transfer options from Whittier to Anchorage that don't include a three-hour tour (you know, just get in the vehicle, get through the tunnel, and get to Anchorage in more like 1.5 hours)?

If we're all stuck transfering to Anchorage, then that's what we'll have to do. I figured I'd see if anyone else has ideas that I've overlooked.

Thanks!

Your husband ought to be able to book a motorcoach transfer through the cruiseline. The problem with him going alone and then returning to Whittier to pick-up the rest of you is the time involved to drive through the tunnel. You can drive through the tunnel TO Whittier only on the half hour, and you can leave Whittier only on the hour. Your plan costs less money but takes more time than if all of you went together to Anchorage to get the RV.

Hmmmm, thanks! If the motorcoach with Carnival gets us to Anchorage quicker and we all go, the benefit is that we're all on our way to our land vacation sooner. I think the price for the transfer through the cruiseline is around $50pp as well.

It's the tunnel that is tripping me up! I downloaded the schedule from the DOT site and it goes every hour in each direction. However, I fear that if he goes alone and then there is some sort of tunnel issue (which I've read does happen due to traffic or construction or an accident, etc), we might be stuck waiting for him just killing time.

I guess I should just look at it this way: we've already spent soooooooo much money on this trip that $200 for us to transfer together shouldn't be an issue waste too much energy on, right? :)

I guess I should just look at it this way: we've already spent soooooooo much money on this trip that $200 for us to transfer together shouldn't be an issue waste too much energy on, right? :)

Right! Look at it as an opportunity for all of you to see the beautiful scenery along Turnagain Arm on the way to Anchorage.

I would stay together. It takes a lot of time to get the RV, check it out, get organized and get out of there. In the meantime you would be killing time in Whittier!

Yes, the tunnel sometimes does have issues, but they do the best job of getting the cruise buses in and out. Have to!

Check with your RV rental company regarding 'pick-up' time. Our rental couldn't be picked-up until after 1pm. Paperwork, RV movie and intro took about an hour for us, so we wouldn't have gained much by being there too early anyway.

Archived