What do you want to know about Grand Princess? Cruise Critic onboard July 13th-20th

kelly@

this is an 'older' post for the boards and you may want to start a new thread asking your question. you'll probably get a lot more answers. :)

as to your question: ANY princess ship will be great for your first cruise. i think the teens especially will like the size and therefore the activities on the grand. enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Very interested in hearing about the condition of Grand Princess. We cruised on her when whe was new, magical, and the largest cruise ship in the world. A lot can happen in 10 years. We will be cruising her again for 14 days in January 2009. We're a little concerned and hope she will be in good shape.

• 1 month later...
Very interested in hearing about the condition of Grand Princess. We cruised on her when whe was new, magical, and the largest cruise ship in the world. A lot can happen in 10 years. We will be cruising her again for 14 days in January 2009. We're a little concerned and hope she will be in good shape.

So are we!! 16th January from Ft Lauderdale. We were on her this last June to the North Cape and in places she was looking 'tired'. I have read that there is to be a 'makeover' in wetdock in December. Does anybody know what is to be done other than "new carpets in places and the Sanctuary being constructed"?

Colin

I am also on that sailing in January and was just assigned my guarantee cabin. Not too impressed with the location. Friends of ours, who have cruised Princess countless time were also assigned a lousy location on this sailing. At the time of booking, months ago, it seems the choice of cabins were mostly guarantees unless you wanted to pay top dollar for the category you wanted. Has anyone else been assigned guarantee cabins??? If so, how did you make out??

I am also on that sailing in January and was just assigned my guarantee cabin. Not too impressed with the location. Friends of ours, who have cruised Princess countless time were also assigned a lousy location on this sailing. At the time of booking, months ago, it seems the choice of cabins were mostly guarantees unless you wanted to pay top dollar for the category you wanted. Has anyone else been assigned guarantee cabins??? If so, how did you make out??

Our guarantee is on a K grade and we've been allocated P219 almost as far forward as you can go on Plaza. I assume that will be final - there are only 25 staterooms in K and I'd be interested to see if we are moved to a higher grade. It is our sixth Princess cruise and the first time we have had a guarantee. Where are you?

Colin

We booked a bd balcony guarantee and got assigned a bd category near the elevator. Our friends booked the same as us and they got the very first cabin in the front, again bd. I wouldn't even have minded getting no upgrade as along as we got a decent location.

I have only booked a guarantee once before on the Diamond. At that time, I booked a minisuite and got a 2 category upgrade. They assigned it only 10 days prior to sailing. I am very surprised that this time they assigned so far in advance and prior to full pay too. Giving such lousy guarantee assignments prior to penalty tempts people to cancel when the cabins locations are lousy. Can't say I'm not thinking of it.:)

Being near the elevator isn't too bad - we've had one there in the past and weren't disturbed at all. Your friends will be well above us at the front but might hear the waves hitting the bows if it is rough like I'm sure we will, being near the water line!!!

Colin

Is there something wrong with P219 on GP. we are booked in a cabin in that block for a cruise next year. Being new to Princess we would like to know the advantages and the drawbacks.

Thanks

Coolgran

I'm sure there isn't a problem - hope not anyway! It looks an exciting location being close to the base of the Atrium and therefore easy access to all parts of the ship except Horizon Court for FOOD!! However, that will work up an appetite for when you get there!

Colin

Archived