seasick patch

dsmini

The Patch is the ultimate seasickness prevention, used by the 2-3% of populace that have really has bad inner ear problem, including my BF. In the states a Dr. perscription is required. He last purchased them on Canadian website without one. Just do a google.

Guest carlogesualdo

I wish I could tell you how well they work, but unfortunately I did not get to wear them long enough to find out for sure. I ran into a side effect problem. I noticed about the third night I was not able to see the dinner menu with my glasses on, which is rather odd. The next morning, I took a good look at myself in the mirror and noticed my pupil was hugely dilated on the same side as I was wearing the patch. I had blurry vision all that next day. I was fine after that, but the day we hit rough seas, I was trying to rely on Dramamine. Dramamine did me no good whatsoever. I can tell you that for the 3 days I did wear one, I felt no seasickness whatsoever. Not even a little queasiness from the gentle rocking the ship was doing every now and then.

The patch is fantastic, however, it gave me the jitters about 12 hours after I applied it...I eventually fell back asleep. The next morning I was incredibly thirsty until later in the day. Otherwise, it works really, really well. I felt no sea-sickness whatsoever.

I work in a doctor's office, and several of our patient's had complained about blurry vision on the patches. We started taking Bonine the night before our cruise and took it nightly throughout and had no problems, even in high seas (we were cruising just after Katrina). I had no sleepiness with it either.

The DH and I tried the patch on a European cruise years ago and we both had the same allergic reaction to it. We woke up at about 2pm in the morning because we had the jitters and couldn't sleep, we also itched all over our body. Thank goodness we had Sea Bands for backup. We never used the patches again.

When it comes to strong medication which the patch is, everyone reacts differently. My advise would be to try it out before you use it, or at least have something else to use as a backup.

Bonnine - The DH and I took 1 tablet each, and we ended up sleeping for 14 hours straight.

When we started cruising with the DS we wanted non-medicinal remedies. The Sea Bands work great for the DH, and the DS and I chew ginger gum. They look exactly like "Chicklets", and are made by the same company that makes Sea Bands. The product is called "Sea Band Ginger Gum", and the only place I have found it in my area is at Rite Aid Drugstores.

Everyone is different and get different results from the products they use. My best advise is the same as above, test out the product you think you want to use before your trip/cruise, or at least take something as backup.

I work in a doctor's office, and several of our patient's had complained about blurry vision on the patches. We started taking Bonine the night before our cruise and took it nightly throughout and had no problems, even in high seas (we were cruising just after Katrina). I had no sleepiness with it either.

This is a perfect example of what I was trying to say in my earlier post. These lucky cruisers did not fall asleepy using Bonine, whereas the DH and I slept for 14 hrs. straight. Everyone reacts differently to medication. Thank goodness we were not on a cruise or on vacation when we took the Bonine. We had just come back from spending the afternoon sailing with friends. We got home ,thought we'd take a nap, and 14 hrs. later woke up and were like, whoa that was a nice, refreshing nap!:D

The patch is an effective seasickness medication, however, as with all medications, it does have side effects. You might want to try it before you wear it on your cruise. It dries out your mucous membranes, i.e., nose and throat, and can be very uncomfortable. I believe they actually use scopolamine before taking patients into surgery for those same effects. It also can make you a little disoriented with blurry vision and dizziness. Bonine works but it made me very sleepy. I tried 1/2 bonine (meclizine) and it worked great. Again, my suggestion would be to try them out at home before taking them on your vacation.

I have always used the patch and it has been wonderful for me.

Meclizine (which is the generic name for Less Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine) puts me to sleep. If I take 1/2 pill before bed I will still be half asleep the next afternoon. Dramamine does the same thing.

The only side effect I have from the patch is a touch of dry mouth on the first day after I apply it (it is worn for 3 days, then replaced with a new one). My niece can't use the patch because it causes vision problems for her, but it works perfectly for me. In fact, we sailed across the Atlantic in March through very, very rough seas and I felt great!

As others have suggested, do talk to your doctor about it, read all of the information carefully and make an informed decision before you sail. If you have a slight body weight there is also a scopolomine pill that may work better for you. If you go with one of the pills, like meclizine, try it out at home to determine if it will make you too sleeeppppyyyy.

I have major problems with motion and have successfully cruised (several times) with the patch. The one side effect that I experienced was dry mouth which was extremely annoying. I was constantly going to my cabin to brush and rinse because I was sure what I was experiencing was also causing a breath issue....................DH said no but I wasn't taking any chances!

Last cruise my doctor gave me a prescription for scopolamine pills. They win hands down! No muddy mouth and no seasickness................ Another plus was that when we were in port, I didn't bother taking a pill. With the patch, since you wear it for multiple days, you're medicated even when you don't need to be.

Recently the TV show "MYth Busters" tried out various sea sickness treatments and found that Ginger pills taken a couple hours before boarding worked better than any of the prescription or OTC type treatments. I know that I have always used the patch without any side effects but think I will try Ginger on my next cruise in October.:)

We only use the patch and it has helped us through pretty rough weather. The key to the patch is to make sure that when you change it, on the morning following the 3rd day, you also change the patch to the opposite ear. Otherwise you will be over medicating yourself and can get some pretty bad side effects.

I used the patch with no side effects. I was under the impression that blurry vision was caused by the medication getting into your eye from your fingers and not as a side effect transdermally. I always washed my hands after I put one on.

I used the patch on our Mexican cruise, after the first day, the menu was so blurry that I knew it was from the patch. I work in pharmacy and knew the side effects so off the patch came. My vision was perfect before the patch and I did'nt use reading glasses at the time so I knew it was the patch. I was ok without it, I just took dramamine on the last day, the seas were a bit rough.

I have used the patch without problems other than the dry mouth but my husband developed a very serious problem and ended up in the ship's hospital overnight. Since then he takes Phernergan (sp) that needs a dr's prescription too.

I now take ginger tablets (they come in capsule form so they'r easy to swallow). I take (1) 4 x a day starting the day before we leave. I've yet to have a problem even during very, very rough seas and no side effects like dry mouth. The ship's dr didn't completely scare me off the patch but when I ran out, I went to the ginger.

Cruisin Oldies

Use if you really get seasick....many people are so scared of getting seasick, that they get seasick, not from the motion of the ocean, but from the fear of getting seasick.

If you experience motion sickness in cars and planes, then you may want to take the patch. If you are OK in cars and planes, then you may not want to take anything.

I have been to docor today, we sail on 26th July, and have been given 2 patches to use on a 14 days cruise. Is this because it's not safe to take them continually os is my doctor just being a bit scroogy??

I also take tablets for depression and high blood pressure and although have been told they're ok to take having read some of the comments postd here I'm not convinced!! :confused:

I normally don't get seasick, but several years ago was experiencing dizziness due to inner ear problems..

Asked our Dr. for the patch, which I had used many years ago & she refused to give it to me because of the side effects...The Dr. instead advised me to take 1/2 tablet of meclizine..

Agree with those who suggested Ginger tablets will not make you sleepy...

Archived