Best beach/hotel beach from cruise ship

Kathy130

Since our ship's itinerary just lengthened our tasy in San Juan for 13 hours, maybe we should go to a hotel with a beach for a good part of the day. Suggestions as to what is appropriate for a length of time from 10am - 11pm. Thanks.

I believe the Marriott and Hilton both offer "day passes". Those beaches are nice (not great- the water is not the island clear blue you may expect).

Another option would be to rent a car and try a number of beaches along the NE coast. Most beaches are free or the Balnearios have a $3 parking fee.

You can hit Escambron beach in OSJ, the hotel beaches, then Pinones for some real local flavor , then head to Monserate in Luquillo (past the outlets and the rain forest in case you want to stop in at either/both!), then you can keep going to Fajardo Seven Seas.

Check this page for info on all these beaches:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/category/beach/

If you are out in Fajardo, you can do a Sunset cruise. Erin go Bragh has a dinner/drinks cruise and East Wind has just snacks/drinks.

Thanks for the info. Any preferences? I think it's a Wed. we are there. How far of a taxi ride would it be to Seven Seas Beach, for instance. Would the Marriot or the Hilton be better.....better facilities. My family wants a beach day there, since we have the time for it. Since you checked (thanks so much) and saw we are there from 10 to 11pm....... which would be a must do. have already toured Old San Juan, shopped in new San Juan, and viisited San Cristobel. THANKS SO MUCH for the help you can give me.

A taxi to Seven Seas is probably about $90 each way, but it may be difficult to get one on the way home. It is a far drive- about 1.25 hrs away. If you want to go that far, a car rental is really the best way.

I haven't been to either hotel/beach, but from what I hear, the Hilton has a more private beach. The beach at the Marriott is larger. I can't say about the hotel amenities. Passes for the Hilton are iffy- they offer them only if they are not full.

If it were me, and money is not an object, take the plane to Culebra! For something much closer, I would go to the beach behind the El San Juan hotel. They don't do day passes, but if you have lunch at their restuarant, you can use their bathrooms. I think there is someone that rents chairs and some food vendors. They also have water sport stuff for rent- jet skis, sail boats, banana boat rides etc.

If you don't care about the toy rentals, go to the government run beaches (Balnearios)- there is one just past the Marriott, (Balneario Carolina) you will have all the amenities- food,bathrooms, showers, chair rentals. (This is assuming you are coming in the summer months- in winter months, no food/chair rentals during the week). Make sure you have the number for the taxi company so you can call one when you are done.

Some other ideas of fun stuff to do in PR- ATV rides/horse back riding in Luquillo or the zip line adventure in Guaynabo. Or right in OSJ there is now a Segway tour.

Hi Kathy,

I noticed you are on the Princess trip out of NY in July. Most of the port times have changed for this Princess cruise. Log in to your cruise personalizer and check the new times. The new times do not show up until you log in. For our August cruise we were supposed to get in at 10 and are now not arriving in San Juan until 2:00, cutting 4 hours off of our stay. We are wondering how much beach time we will have if we don't get in until 2:00 and then need to clear customs because Bermuda was our first stop.

Netta7

Hi....Netta 7

Yes, that's exactly what happened late yesterday. That's why I am scrambling to find something for the family. Our hours in PR were extended to 13 hours.......with Bermuda being cut short by 4 hours. So ......................COQUISHIDEAWAY.....has been helping me figure this out. I'll check on a website for the El San Juan Hotel. We are coming in on July 23, so I need a plan soon. Any ideas are SO appreciated.

Archived