Cabin Category/Upgrade Question

dos equis

If you have booked a 4A or IS guarantee, is there any chance for upgrade to OV or higher? Or do you have to have booked at least an OV guarantee to receive a higher upgrade? I have an IS guarantee, and I'm obviously okay with having the bunk beds because I wouldn't have booked it if I cared, but I'm just wondering if the chance for an upgrade is still just limited to an inside cabin. Thanks for the info, you guys are great!

Category IS doesn't include Category 1A. So "bunk beds" won't be an issue. While it is possible you could be upgraded to OV...it's much more likely that any upgrade--and there quite possibly won't be one--will be to a different inside cabin

You stand a pretty good chance to move up a few floors on an upgrade but chances are slim you'll move a category. It does happen though.

I was told that upgrades really depend on the time of year your cruise and how fast the ship sells out, is that true?

A lot depends on what rooms are in demand. If the lower cheap rooms are selling out and the higher floor rooms aren't then sometimes they will move those that booked guarantees up so they can book the low rooms and get the $$.

You can also watch the site and if they have a good sale go ahead and book a higher room. During a good sale it may not be much more to get switched to an OV.

We were booked inside guarantee and were assigned a inside on Empress, which we thought was great because the empress deck insides were booking much higher than what we paid. Then during a sale I switched us to an OV for $60. The sale price included an upgrade from the lowest OV to Empress. So instead of a inside on empress we got an OV on Empress and LOVED it.

Takes some work on your part watching the site every day but it can pay off.

I booked an inside guarantee on the Miracle in September 2005 and received a category 5A. I could at least open the door and smell the ocean air. It was an obstructed view, but a view nonetheless.

Good luck on your upgrade.

Our cruise is on the Inspiration on Aug 21st. I've been checking regularly, and the price hasn't gone down at all. We paid 279 pp for inside guarantee, and now it's up to 349. There are still a ton of rooms left in every category though, and on expedia.com they are offering free upgrades (I'm guessing because there are so many rooms), so I have high hopes!

I usually always book IS. On my last Carnival Cruise, I was upgraded from IS to OV. It was really nice, but we don't spend a lot of time in the room so I would not have been upset if I had ended up inside. Good luck! :D

I booked an inside guarantee on the Miracle in September 2005 and received a category 5A. I could at least open the door and smell the ocean air. It was an obstructed view, but a view nonetheless.

Good luck on your upgrade.

Same with us....for this Aug. on the Miracle. I am happy with the 5A category. We have booked IS before and usually we are just upgraded a couple of decks....but we have never been disappointed with our upgrades.

I usually always book IS. On my last Carnival Cruise, I was upgraded from IS to OV. It was really nice, but we don't spend a lot of time in the room so I would not have been upset if I had ended up inside. Good luck! :D

As I said, we booked IS and just got upgraded to 4D. Not OV, but still a nice upgrade.....

Archived