Advice on seasickness pills please

margrey

Just been to the chemist to buy some Dramamine and the chemist advised against these particular pills!! he said they will make me drowsy and will not stay in my system 24/7 and then advised i go to my doctor and he will prescribe Stematil, any opinions on this will be very helpful.

Thanks Marg

Just been to the chemist to buy some Dramamine and the chemist advised against these particular pills!! he said they will make me drowsy and will not stay in my system 24/7 and then advised i go to my doctor and he will prescribe Stematil, any opinions on this will be very helpful.

Thanks Marg

I have taken dramamine for several years and have never been sleepy and I find that they last 24 hours as claimed in the medication's literature. I get sleepy with antihistimine such as Polaramine, but not with Dramamine. Before our first cruise my doctor prescribed stemitil, and when the sea became rough I took a tablet. It certainly stopped me from throwing up but I felt absolutely wretched and wished I could throw up. I think that would have made me feel a lot better. Never again!!

Maybe it would be an idea to get some Dramamine and/or Phenergan and try one prior to the cruise. See if it makes you sleepy.

On the "Princess Cruises" section of this forum there is a thread from a week or so ago on seasickness medication. One person (who I think is a pharmacist of doctor) posted some detailed information on how Dramamine and Bonine (both often used in the US) work. They block the message to the brain that makes a person feel nauseous. From my experience, Stemetil won't block the message to the brain, but just stop you from throwing up.

All the best.:):)

Thanks Ela2 I want something that is going to be in my system all day and i have read that you said these were good, so i was surprised when he said no, i don't think they had them in stock perhaps he was just trying to sell me something ? think i will just buy them and some ginger and i should be fine.

Cheers Marg

Hi Margray, Kwells are fine as well. I have tried them all - Dramamine, Kwells, Stemitil and Bonine. The kwells make your mouth feel a bit dry but they are all ok. None of them made me sleepy. The kwells you need to take every 4-6 hours though - the others you just take at night before you go to bed and they should last the day.- mummsie

Thanks Mummsie that makes me feel a whole lot better one of the dreads of going on a ship for the first time is if i am going to suffers from seasickness! so i might just take all of them:D

I haven't tried Kwells, but I know many people use them. I have a serious motion sickness problem and that is why I don't even try the herbal remedies like ginger tablets, or the wrist bands.

I suggest you try a few different things. Maybe ginger tablets or kwells would work for you. Maybe Dramamine might make you sleepy, although I have read (on the US site) that the old version made people drowsy. This makes sense to me. I actually use Reisetabletten that I got from Germany. About 16-17 years ago I took them to a pharmacist who told me there was no equivalent here. I asked only a few months ago and another pharmacist showed me that the ingredient was exactly the same as the present version of Dramamine. I think it is likely that Dramamine has changed to the same formula as Reisetabletten. I have also given these to several friends who suffer badly from seasickness and they have been totally well and not at all sleepy.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I felt it was the only way I could properly address the question. You will need to work out what is OK for you. You don't want to be sick, but you don't want to sleep you holiday away. That is what would happen to me if I took Phenergan, and I know that makes many people sleepy. By the way, the injection they give on the ship is Phenergan. Go prepared, and then don't think about it.:):)

Don't discount Avomine.... you take one at night so it doesn't matter if they make you sleepy... i always carry Stemetil... you don't have to take a full tab i only use a quarter if i feel a little off....your mouth may get a little dry but i would rather have that than heaving.....i have lousy sealegs always have, but love cruising so i make sure i cruise well equipped......we also carried kwells for John when he was working just in case but the ship would have to be doing 360deg spins for him to get seasick..........grrrrrr....lucky boy.............cheers shiona

Thanks Mummsie that makes me feel a whole lot better one of the dreads of going on a ship for the first time is if i am going to suffers from seasickness! so i might just take all of them:D

Hi Margrey,

You really may not need to worry about it at all. I take stuff with us but I personally don't get sea sick nor do my kids even though one gets car sick.

Glenda

Do you know if any of them stops you drinking alcohol?

They all sound good i must admit

I still have a drink (or two .....) of wine even when taking the dramamine. Hasn't had any side effects. I gave tablets to one of our table companions (and also one of my family) on our last cruise. They both still had a couple of drinks.:):)

I don't know of any tablets that stop you drinking alcohol! :rolleyes:

The best advice given is to see your family GP.

I personally take one kwell a day and have no problems, my hubby however needs the stronger avomine.

Everyone is different and even "over the counter" medications work differently for different people. It also depends on your physicality and other medications you may be taking.

It's great that you are going prepared! I hope you have a fantastic time!

Hi margrey

I've done 'all of the above' (no not at the same time!!!).

I've used Phernerghan with much success - it comes in 10mg & 25mg (I think) - I buy the 10mg (which allows you to take two tablets at a time if you need to - but often one is enough for me ... which does lessen the 'sleepy' affect if you suffer from it. I think my body has built up a bit of an immunity to the sleppy side-affect as I've used Phernerghan for many and varied allergy problems all my life!). I use it on my children as well - with great success.

I've also used Dramamine (and the Junior form for the kids) - and found it very effective as well ... didn't seem to be any different (for me) to Phernerghan.

I always take Stemetil with me as well - as it does help stop the symptoms if you get them (either from sea-sickness or from a stomache bug). I've only used them once on the ship when I was sea-sick once last cruise --- took one of them and two ginger tablets - lay down for about 90 minutes (watched the entire Bee Movie that was on) - then was fine to go off to Bingo and had no further ill effects!

I think the suggestion that the others have made about trying some before you go to see how sleepy they make you is a good one! It's not like you're going to be operating heavy machinery - so being a little drowsy isn't going to be too restrictive - however if it knocks you out - that may not be a good result!!!

Use of anti-histimines (all of the ones mentioned here) can sometimes increase the effects of alcohol --- so perhaps a bit of moderation if you are taking them is called for (otherwise you may find yourself passed out for the duration!). I too have had a couple of wines .... or so .... when taking them with no adverse effects. Also consider if they could react or enhance the effect of any other medication you're taking (anti-anxiety medication, sleeping tablets, etc). (Your GP would be helpful for advice on this front if it's applicable).

My doctor was a great help before our first cruise -- gave me plenty of options of both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

I always take something (and give the kids something) before we leave port, then again at the recommended dosage for the first few days - we normally are able to stop taking them once we hit smooth water and get our sea legs - but have usually had to start medicating the kids at least (and sometimes myself) on the return journey. (I have a very lucky husband who doesn't suffer!!!!!!)

I've also used Kwells ... but didn't particularly like the dry mouth! (made me want to drink more!!!!!!!)

Take a few with you - have them there in case - and relax and enjoy the cruise!!!:D :D

Thank You Thank You Thank You all great advice.

Think i will take the dremomine and some ginger with me also might sneak in some kwells (just in case) thanks once again guys.

Marg

Thank You Thank You Thank You all great advice.

Think i will take the dremomine and some ginger with me also might sneak in some kwells (just in case) thanks once again guys.

Marg

Great stuff Marg .... be prepared - and make sure you have fun (you may be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to worry!!!!:D :D )

Hi everyone

This thread has come at a very good time for me as I am leaving on Monday and did have some questions. I have no idea whether I will be seasick or not but as we are only on board for 3 days I don't want to be unprepared. I have bought Kwells & Dramamine and tried both in the last few days to see if I had any effects which I haven't. I do have a query re the Dramamine dose though as Ela 2 mentions one tablet lasts for 24 hours but on the box it says 1 or 2 tablets 3 or 4 times a day. They are 50 mg over the counter, so perhaps Ela has stronger ones. My Mum has Stemetil with her so after reading the advice on here, I think I will take the Dramamine as a preventative and only use the Stemetil if necessary. If I do get really bad I'll be straight down to the doctors for the injection!

We may be lucky but and have calm seas but the chances of that crossing the Tasman are quite slim.

Lesley:)

Hi everyone

This thread has come at a very good time for me as I am leaving on Monday and did have some questions. I have no idea whether I will be seasick or not but as we are only on board for 3 days I don't want to be unprepared. I have bought Kwells & Dramamine and tried both in the last few days to see if I had any effects which I haven't. I do have a query re the Dramamine dose though as Ela 2 mentions one tablet lasts for 24 hours but on the box it says 1 or 2 tablets 3 or 4 times a day. They are 50 mg over the counter, so perhaps Ela has stronger ones. My Mum has Stemetil with her so after reading the advice on here, I think I will take the Dramamine as a preventative and only use the Stemetil if necessary. If I do get really bad I'll be straight down to the doctors for the injection!

We may be lucky but and have calm seas but the chances of that crossing the Tasman are quite slim.

Hi Lesley ... I found with the kids I needed to keep the Dramamine up to them at the recommended dose on the packet .... When it came to me ... I took them slightly more spaced about (so sometimes twice a day - other times once - and on occasssion 3-4 ... as long as you don't exceed the maximum dose or have them more regularly than recommended you should be fine.). The ginger tablets as a 'in-between' worked well for the kids too! (I think sometimes the placebo effect was working for them more than the medicinal effect, but whatever it takes eh? I find that ginger tablets really do settle my stomache though! but won't do enough if I'm feeling the effects badly!)

I do have a query re the Dramamine dose though as Ela 2 mentions one tablet lasts for 24 hours but on the box it says 1 or 2 tablets 3 or 4 times a day. They are 50 mg over the counter, so perhaps Ela has stronger ones.

Hi Lesley,

My tablets are from overseas and specify one every 24 hours, so they could be a different strength. I suggest starting with one tablet every 12 hours and see if you need any more. I usually find instructions usually state the maximum and often you do not need that much. Once you get your 'sea legs' you are likely to be fine.:):)

• 9 months later...

Hi Marg,

I took Stemetil on my first cruise, but needed to take more that the prescribed amount once I got sick. It's better to prevent the nausea, so I start on the Avomine a day before we sail and take one tablet (they come in packs of 10) religiously each night of the cruise, whether it's rough or not. I've never suffered with two days of my cruise in bed again.

Enjoy your sea-sick free cruise...

Anna

Does anyone know if there is a seasickness medication that comes in liquid form?

Never heard of liquid seasickness medication.

I use a medication that is similar to Travacalm. Avomine works for a lot of people. I tried Stemitil once, but 'never again'. It stopped me from throwing up, but I still felt absolutely terrible and wished I could throw up. Not good.

If you feel a little bit off, have a drink of ginger ale immediately. Take some crystallised ginger or ginger tablets with you and have some of that also. If you have only mild seasickness symptoms ginger might help and it works virtually immediately. The other remedy used on ships is to eat a Granny Smith apple witht the skin on. I haven't tried that, but I have heard of several people who say it helps.

Evon.

Hi all, yes this is the only thing worrying me about my cruise, seasickness. I have all the stuff to to take and in my head I am repeating I will not get sick, I will not get sick other than that I feel pretty good, not stressed or worried just looking forward to my cruise. Gee I haven't even got my port out to pack yet, I'm just cruisin so to speak (sorry)! I know being on this site has made me feel relaxed with all the information I have and was lucky my uncle told me about it before I cruised (he has been a great help himself). Hope when I come back I contribute instead of just asking questions. Thanks to everyone.

PS

This is the longest reply I have ever posted phew !!

Archived