If at first you don't succeed,.........................

cod

I thought I'd pass along my 'price reduction' story from today.

A short background first. Two days ago I booked an August, 5 night cruise with an on line agency, paying in full. I chose them because their rate was the same as I was quoted by a Carnival pvp(?) but in addition they offered a $25 mastercard AND a Carnival coupon book. Plus, their web-site showed a same category cabin midship and the Carnival rep said he had nothing midship...only 'very forward' or 'very aft'. (Do they give these websites cabins that they then no longer have access to themselves?...just wondering).

Now for today! I look on line and lo-and-behold, what I considered a very good price Monday was now $20pp cheaper!! I thought it worth a try so I called the customer service # on the confirmation I'd received. The person I spoke to immediately pooh-poohed the idea of an obc (my suggestion since I know that's what Carnival usually does and that would be fine with me!) but said 'she'd check' and put me on hold for some time. (Somehow I imagined her getting a cup of coffee and/or filing her nails). She finally came back and said NO because, after-all, I was getting a great rate already AND a $25 MC.. Hmmm, after we hung up I realized she never said out-right that Carnival said "No" and knowing that Carnival is usually pretty in this case I talked myself in to calling back this afternoon, hoping not to get the same person.

I got a very nice lady who said she'd be glad to check it for me and asked if I remembered the name of who I talked to this morning (I didn't) because there was no note on my reservation that I'd even called and she said there should be.

Anyway, to make a short story even longer, she put me on hold for some time (she came back to apologize twice which in itself was very nice) and then said Carnival was giving me/us a $40 OBC. YEA!!!! I even got an email shortly after showing the new rate, an overpayment and then stating that it would be given as an obc.

That's it! I'm not even going to look at that site again! (Sure).

I'm just here to let you know that it pays to be persistant. Just be pleasant in the process and hope for the best!

I thought I'd pass along my 'price reduction' story from today.

A short background first. Two days ago I booked an August, 5 night cruise with an on line agency, paying in full. I chose them because their rate was the same as I was quoted by a Carnival pvp(?) but in addition they offered a $25 mastercard AND a Carnival coupon book. Plus, their web-site showed a same category cabin midship and the Carnival rep said he had nothing midship...only 'very forward' or 'very aft'. (Do they give these websites cabins that they then no longer have access to themselves?...just wondering).

Now for today! I look on line and lo-and-behold, what I considered a very good price Monday was now $20pp cheaper!! I thought it worth a try so I called the customer service # on the confirmation I'd received. The person I spoke to immediately pooh-poohed the idea of an obc (my suggestion since I know that's what Carnival usually does and that would be fine with me!) but said 'she'd check' and put me on hold for some time. (Somehow I imagined her getting a cup of coffee and/or filing her nails). She finally came back and said NO because, after-all, I was getting a great rate already AND a $25 MC.. Hmmm, after we hung up I realized she never said out-right that Carnival said "No" and knowing that Carnival is usually pretty in this case I talked myself in to calling back this afternoon, hoping not to get the same person.

I got a very nice lady who said she'd be glad to check it for me and asked if I remembered the name of who I talked to this morning (I didn't) because there was no note on my reservation that I'd even called and she said there should be.

Anyway, to make a short story even longer, she put me on hold for some time (she came back to apologize twice which in itself was very nice) and then said Carnival was giving me/us a $40 OBC. YEA!!!! I even got an email shortly after showing the new rate, an overpayment and then stating that it would be given as an obc.

That's it! I'm not even going to look at that site again! (Sure).

I'm just here to let you know that it pays to be persistant. Just be pleasant in the process and hope for the best!

GOOD FOR YOU!!! ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!

I don't know who you talked to at Carnival but they do have access to any cabin you see on line. We use a couple of different on line websites check their prices. Then call our PVP and ask him the price usually it's the same. Next we tell him the cabin number that is available on the other web site and it's ours.

I am glad that you were persistent. Let see that's almost two buckets of free beer.

HI,

Just wondering if Carnival does OBC's if you find a cheaper rate on another web site? I booked through Carnival, but am now finding rates that are about $100 cheaper because of a resident discount (which was not available through Carnival when I booked in Feb).

Thanks for helping a newbie!

I'm not sure but I know Carnival itself sometimes has residence rates and I would think that if a website is offering them, Carnival might be too.

I have trouble navigating Carnival's website for prices. I don't see where I can enter the fact that we're seniors or - like in your case - where I live for a possible discount that way.

But I'd call Carnival and check it out. It's certainly worth looking into. And good luck!

For the well-wishes, thanks. And for the suggestions on how to spend my new-found funds, I'm in full agreement!

And cruzvinniecruz, that does make sense. I just don't understand why when I specifically asked if he had anything more midship he would say no after supposedly taking the time to look. Maybe he would have found the cabin we settled on if I'd mentioned it but it seems he should have regardless. I have to say he didn't seem very interested OR very friendly. I guess the latter really doesn't matter much though.

Hurry August 23rd.....we are SO ready!

Perfect, thanks for your suggestion. I have a representative that has been very helpful with each of my questions. However, each time I call I have to leave a message and wait for him to get back to me (he has each time so far). Would you suggest leaving a message for him or just calling Carnival and speaking with any rep?

Thanks again!!

I think I'd try to talk to him about it first. I think I'd leave him a very generic message and hit him with your request/discovery when he actually calls back. (That's just in case price drops are not a favorite part of his job!) Yes, I am smiling as I write this but by the same token I'm serious, too!

Once again, good luck. (Let us know what happens).

Thanks again! I'll call him in the a.m. as his hours are from 5 p.m. - 2 a.m. (don't want any late nighters!). I'll definitely let you know. I've checked at least 4 web sites and they are now all offering resident rates.

I don't know who you talked to at Carnival but they do have access to any cabin you see on line. We use a couple of different on line websites check their prices. Then call our PVP and ask him the price usually it's the same. Next we tell him the cabin number that is available on the other web site and it's ours.

I am glad that you were persistent. Let see that's almost two buckets of free beer.

When you say that you check a few online sites for prices and cabins do you actually email or phone those websites for pricing or do you just check the price on the website?

The prices are supposed to be the same if advertised online. You have to actually call or email for a cheaper price.

Bill

Thanks again! I'll call him in the a.m. as his hours are from 5 p.m. - 2 a.m. (don't want any late nighters!). I'll definitely let you know. I've checked at least 4 web sites and they are now all offering resident rates.

Definitely let us know. I've never even knew there was such a thing as a residence discount. I guess this means you live in a State where Carnival sails out of? Just wondering. Like I said, never heard of it before. My mother lives in Florida and it would be a great benefit to her if she could get a residence discount. Just wondering. Please, let us know.

I would call Carnival up. Tell them that you heard there was a state discount, and ask them to apply that to your booking.

I am so jealous. I just saw your countdown... You are less than a day until embarkation..... Oh, man.... I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!

When you say that you check a few online sites for prices and cabins do you actually email or phone those websites for pricing or do you just check the price on the website?

The prices are supposed to be the same if advertised online. You have to actually call or email for a cheaper price.

Bill

To be specific we get an interline rate which is the same rate code as the military discount. There are several sites that post interline rates and we use them for a reference and to check to see if the rate has dropped. They do post the rates on the web. We have found on one occasion were the rate was cheaper the interline web pages and our PVP looked at the web page and matched it.

Yes, even after final payment. Whether it's 'a given' (probably not) or if there is some criteria I'm not sure. And perhaps some lower prices closer to a sail date are specifically for 'new bookings only'. And who knows, perhaps the tone of the 'asker' and the mood of the Carnival 'askee' may even play some part.

As for residence rates, I don't know how they pick certain states for some cruises. It's not the 'sail from' states because we got one once when we lived in Arkansas! Some cruises don't have any residence specials going on, just as some don't have any senior or military rates.

I have been checking our cruise daily on the Carnival site and today low and behold a $100 price drop on a 9a category which we booked. These cabins usually do not drop and I have emailed our PVP requesting an adjustment. I will post my results.

I am so jealous. I just saw your countdown... You are less than a day until embarkation..... Oh, man.... I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Carnival gives Floridians a discount on some cruises, not all. I don't know if it's tied to port cities.

cod--when making reservation on Carnival website it asks for your birthday and then it knows your age. I've accidently only put in my son and it will tell me someone must be at least 25.

I have been checking our cruise daily on the Carnival site and today low and behold a $100 price drop on a 9a category which we booked. These cabins usually do not drop and I have emailed our PVP requesting an adjustment. I will post my results.

My wonderful PVP took care of it immediately..... Not a problem.

Not necessarily. Carnival does give "allotted space" to agencies for groups. Also, beware of an agency that lists cabins for 3 or 4 (even 5 on the smaller ships) as available to your party of two (or less than the cabin capacity, like 3 in a 4 or 5, or 4 in a 5). We had researched on a certain gnomish website and found a great midship cabin on the Conquest for the same price Carnival was offering, but when we called our CVS at Carnival he said the cabin wasn't available for two people. So we called the gnomish website and they came back after a bit and said the same thing (their site had "an error and wasn't recording Carnival's cabin restrictions"... rrrright), so we just went with our CVS. My wife checked FOUR days later and the cabin was still open... and she could've booked it online, got all the way up to the credit card entry with no problems. So caveat emptor.

I would call Carnival up. Tell them that you heard there was a state discount, and ask them to apply that to your booking.

If you're booked through a TA, you can't call Carnival for a rate reduction. You have to go back through the method you made your cruise.

Hi all,

I took your advice and left a generic message yesterday for Richard, my Carnival rep. Needless to say, got no reply. I checked the other cruise sites (cruises.com, cruisesonly, etc) and the price has dropped another $30. So I'm thinking of just calling Carnival this morning to talk to another rep as that would be a savings of over $400. Thoughts?

When is your cruise? (And you did book with a Carnival pvp, right?) If there's time, I'd leave another message and then give him a day or so in case he's been off or something. But that's me.

Perhaps someone reading this who has actually booked with a Carnival pvp themselves (I haven't) will know if talking to just him/her about everything is the way to go.

Hang in there. (If you're like me, the wait is very hard. 'Patience is a virtue' that I wish I'd been allotted a little more of!!)

Never hurts to ask, but watch the taxes and fees. You might end up paying more in taxes even though your getting a lower cruise price (and yes, it's in Carnival's literature about price reductions... we just ended up paying about $10 more person in fees but our cruise price dropped by $40 each).

Hey,

We are cruising mid-August on the Inspiration. I booked through Carnival on one of their sale days back in Feb. We have two rooms connecting rooms booked as we have two teens and we are sailing for my 50th birthday so we thought we'd "splurge". It is hard to be patient as I tend to get "obsessed" once I get on a quest. I guess I will call and leave another message today for my PVP. Is there a way to get a direct email to the PVPs?

Archived