In between excursions can you re-board the ship?

QueenMadge

My husband and I are first time cruisers (obviously) and we were wondering if in between excursions at a port you can reboard the ship? We have booked all our excursions thru the cruise line but don't know how much they follow the stated time frames per excursion or where we will fit in lunch time etc. Should we just plan on being off the ship all day and bring whatever we need for each separate excursion as far as clothing etc.

Thank you.

Margot

Nice to meet you 1st time cruiser! We will be 1st time cruisers as well. I have learned from the boards that you can come and go on the ship and port as much as you want. I would be happy to help if I can, happy sailing, Kelly:)

If there is a few hours between excursions you could reboard the ship. However you don't mention which ship you are on. If it is smaller you should have no problem. If it is a larger ship you definately need a few hours.

Never be afraid to have lunch or dinner in a port if you are running close on time because these can be some of your best vacation memories.

mcboo:):):)

Welcome to cruising,

Most of the ship provided/arranged tours are done in such a way that there is some time frame provided for lunch on the cruise ship but there could be some exceptions: for example you had lets say 4 hour tour of whatever that started at 8:00 AM and you got the next one at 1:00PM. You should be back from the first tour at noon but perhaps the tour is late coming back and you just got back at 12:30 PM or so......that does not leave you much time for lunch. The 1:00PM tour will go on as scheduled.......there might be all new participants and they can not wait for those who are late.

So you have to figure out when you are getting your tours if there is enough time between them.

Have fun cruising.

Wes

11/2/04. We have scheduled some excursions that have very little time between them. Can we bring something from the ship for lunch then?

Kelly, congradulations on being first timers too. We are getting so excited about it and I of course am getting anxious that everything is organized before hand because that is the way I am. Also, my husband is going on a business trip that is four days long and will be back Saturday night before we leave on the following monday. Thats not much time to take care of any last minute things....

Margot

Cruiselines excursions do run good withthe time they say. If they say its a 4 hour tour--its a 4 hour tour.

Depends on where you go to the food being taken off the ship. SOme ports you cant. Prepackaged food is allowed. (cereal in boxes) or bags of peanuts.

Read your daily paper and it will say if not food is allowed off. St Thomas was a port that allowed no food...Let me tell you how full the tables were of food that people were taking off. TOo much. If it doesnt state that- Order room service the night before (pack baggies) Room service the morning of a port day may run a tad slow. Take a small soft sided cooler one that holds 12 cans. and you are on your way.

On/off privileges are as described by others. However bear in mind that some ports may require the use of Tenders, which means that you may spend time waiting in a tender line at both ends.

Even St. Thomas can require tendering on especially busy days in port.

As for food and clothing requirements, your best bet is to discuss these with the Shore Excursion office once you first come aboard ship on the first or second day. They can help you on the basic details.

Are you allowed back on the ship between excursions? Of course!

Will you have time? Depends upon many variables. The biggest variables will be the timing of your excursions and whether you're tendering or docking.

My suggestions:

Take along a backpack or tote bag so you can carry everything you want for the whole day. Be sure to bring bottled water -- it costs a fortune everywhere. That way if you don't have time to return to the ship, you're set.

As for lunch, many excursions provide them. You can bring along pre-packaged peanuts or granola bars to "tide you over".

I'd suggest that you re-evaluate doing two ship excursions in one day. Ship excursions tend to be like cattle calls. You'll be in huge groups, being herded from here to there. You'll be at the mercy of the group leader, who will stop your group at the "chosen" marketplaces and breeze past the ones that really interest you. It's much more fun to do your own thing, and the internet makes it so easy to plan. Saving money is an additional bonus. The "missing the ship thing" isn't a big deal -- just wear a watch and make sure you're back well ahead of time.

Archived