Any get REAL wet tendering w/ Xpedition?

mountainhouse

Well, our first Celebrity cruise is booked, and here goes my first post on this forum. :)

I take quite a bit of camera gear on trips. I'm a bit concerned about tendering in the Galapagos. I'm debating spending about $250 on a waterproof camera bag (they say it will float with 80 pounds of stuff in it - no, I don't carry that much). Has anyone seen someone accidentally go in?

Well, our first Celebrity cruise is booked, and here goes my first post on this forum. :)

I take quite a bit of camera gear on trips. I'm a bit concerned about tendering in the Galapagos. I'm debating spending about $250 on a waterproof camera bag (they say it will float with 80 pounds of stuff in it - no, I don't carry that much). Has anyone seen someone accidentally go in?

Depends on a lot of factors but the short answer is: yes.

A couple of our wet landings were very rough (nearly up to waist) with heavy currents and yes, a couple of people went swimming. Nothing really dangerous but challenging.

Sorry to go off topic here, but my eyes nearly bugged out of my head when I read waterproof camera bag that can hold 80lbs! :eek:

Where can I get one of those for my DH? :p

Definitely protect your camera during wet landings! We saw a very expensive camera take a thorough dunking during a boarding from shore in heavy surf. The owner had the camera around her neck and disregarded the guides' advice to protect it with a plastic bag. That camera was destroyed. Use a waterproof bag and enjoy this incredible opportunity to see (and photograph) amazing wildlife.

Thank you, thank you! Will definitely get the bag then. I know an option will be to put everything in dry bag during tendering, but it's always fun to have more gear. :)

bbro: 2 models. This is the smaller one:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/DryZone-100,1934.htm

Here's a review:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/bb0702-1.html

Thanks again, everyone!

Archived