Can I book excursions just walking off the ship?

petesweet

I have just completed our plans (6 people) for Alaska and am now turning to Hawaii (only two of us for this). Frankly, I am TIRED of planning. I'd like opinions about the wisdom of just expecting to be able to walk off the ship and book a local excursion. My ports are Kona, Hilo, Lahaina (Maui), and Honolulu. In most cases, my husband will probably not join me and I will be alone. Many thanks.

It sounds like you may be a good candidate for Roberts Hawaii Tours. (I have no affiliation with them). They have large tour buses that I saw all over the islands when I cruised there last year. I don't recall seeing any tour operators at the pier except the ones greeting pre-booked passengers. Personally, we rented cars at every port but that takes a lot of planning. You can book all the tours you want right on Roberts' website. It's www.gorabbitgo.com. Good luck and have a great trip!:D

It sounds like you may be a good candidate for Roberts Hawaii Tours. (I have no affiliation with them). They have large tour buses that I saw all over the islands when I cruised there last year. I don't recall seeing any tour operators at the pier except the ones greeting pre-booked passengers. Personally, we rented cars at every port but that takes a lot of planning. You can book all the tours you want right on Roberts' website. It's www.gorabbitgo.com. Good luck and have a great trip!:D

I'll check that out. Many thanks. (Hope they do better than most ship excursions.)

I'm also looking into this since we are going for our honeymoon & don't want to be bothered to plan anything.

Has anyone tried any other independent tour agencies beside Roberts & Polynesian?

One of the best tours we've ever done was in Hilo and it was unplanned. We just wanted a cab to take us to an ATM and the driver said that since we had nothing planned, he could do a little three hour tour for around $60. We had a great time, seeing Hilo from the perspective of a lifelong resident. His name was JD, and at that time (2005) he had the only wheelchair accessible taxi in Hilo, so he's easy to spot.

Viv

Archived