Cruise to the Norwegian Fjords

travel2

There is an excellent diary of a Norwegian fjord cruise on these boards under "Ports of Call/Europe" and the thread posted is "Norwegian Fjords Cruise Recap: July 22 - August 3, 2003" which was on the Royal Princess. The post was dated 09/15/03 at10:50PM from "usavvy2." I'd send you the link but it would be awful to try to type.

I hope to be going on a fjords cruise on Crystal in June 2005. Would love to hear any other comments from X pax about their experiences. I have no interest in the Baltics, but North Sea and Scandinavia are my interests right now.

If Bergen is one of your ports of call be sure to take the funicular railway up to the top for about $10 each and get some fantastic views of the harbour and town from the mountain top. The railway is in the town centre which is an easy walk from the ship along Bryggen and the clapperboard shops. When you get into the centre the railway is to the left of the centre.

Norwegian Dream April 2003

days to sailing away on constellation

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Excellent ship ,particularly on this cruise. We did the baltics but got diverted to the norwegian fjords due to ice in the gulf of finland .

there is a review you can look at here is the link

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=069097554&m=3533023377

happy cruising

Jim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

We went on the Constellation last year. We've been to New Zealand and cruised Hawaii, Alaska and the Panama Canal. This was far and away our favorite trip. I don't think you could go wrong on any ship, but we really loved the Constellation.

Two suggestions. Get on these boards and meet other folks before you go. It added a lot to our trip, both before we went and on the cruise.

Second, if you get to Geiranger (sp?), I HIGHLY recommend the Overland excursion. It's about 8-9 hours but worth the time.

Bob

Travel2 - be sure to check out the link on this thread that Jimbo23 is giving you. He is too modest to admit that his own review of the Fjords is wonderfully informative and was very popular when posted. As he says, his cruise got canceled out of the Baltics and the ship had to make up a fast Fjords itinerary that wouldn't cause an ultimate mutiny from their pax.

By the time you read his review and the other one, you'll have a marvelous insight about that particular cruise itinerary. Each of these posters has made me even more eager to "see what's out there" in Scandinavia.

Linda,thanks for the kind words.I have got so much informative info from the boards myself that I felt that i had to put some back.Being a first time cruiser i also felt that I could and should sell the experience to others who have been hesitating for some reason.It took us 30 years of marriage to get us on to the ocean wave so hopefully others will do that sooner.

Travel2: I notice that Constellation is going on a very interesting itinerary (once only) from Dover on july 17th this year.It calls at Le Havre(paris),Rigaskiddy(cork,Ireland),Dublin,Greenock(Glasgow Scotland),Then calls at Geiranger.Hellesylt ,Olden and Bergen in the Norwegian Fjord country It then goes to Copenhagen and Zeebrugge (Brussels) on the way back to Dover.Sounds a great itinerary and one that I would go on.Lindas mouth is watering now !!

Alternatively Fred Olsen cruises goes from Dover (you can find them on the web) and their ships The Black Prince and the Braemar are smaller ships with largely british pax and they are very popular with american guests due to the culture differences in the cruise lines ,I seem to remember either Black Prince or Braemar coming in the top ten American choice cruise ships somehere I read.

Whether yo are planning for an imminent trip or one next year or indeed just browsing there is a wealth of info on these boards and others that will decide for you.

happy cruising

Jim and Margaret

Hi everyone,

I was on the Constellation last year also on the British Isles/Norwegian fjords cruise (this is the itinerary jimbo is mentioning for this year departing on 7/17) with Bob278. Hi Bob! All I can say is that this cruise was the trip of a lifetime. Everything about it was topnotch. The ship, the staff, the food, the itinerary, my fellow passengers etc. Everyone was absolutely lovely. The ship seems to attract a lovely mix of passengers. I can't say enough good things about it. As a matter of fact, I don't think that I've ever read one single complaint about any aspect of this cruise in the time Celebrity has been offering it. I read the comments on the boards from previous posters before I actually took the cruise and they too raved about it. All I can say is GO, GO, GO!!!! You will not be disappointed.

I am doing the Med this year on the Millennium for 14 nights. I have a feeling that this is going to be a wilder ride than the lovely fjords cruise, but I am psyched up for it!

Toni

Jim and Margaret, thanks for the tip about Fred Olsen cruises. I much prefer the smaller ships, was a devoted fan of Royal Viking and sailed on their ships for many years until the cruise line shut down. I still miss them. I saw the Connie itinerary for this summer and yes, my mouth is watering, but I am looking for smaller cruise ships.

The Olsen line sounds interesting (or as y'all say - brilliant) and I will check it out. The Brit pax would be a plus. But to you both - welcome to the high seas. To quote Lord Byron, "Roll on thou deep and dark blue ocean roll." And may we always sail upon them.

We took the Orient Lines ship Marco Polo Grand Scandinavia cruise in 2003. The stops were : Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Talinn, Copenhagen, Bergen, Flam, Geiranger, Oslo, Aarhus, and ending with two days in Copenhagen.

We selected it for the ship's size (684 passengers) and the itinerary. We enjoyed it very much.

For our 30th anniversary we have booked the Jewel of the Seas, British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise, for summer 2005. Looking forward to reading the reviews of past fjords cruisers. This is a trip we've been looking forward to for a long time. Appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Sleddogs

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary

Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)

Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)

Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Jimbo,

All we can say is "Oh, wow" what a beautiful ship!

This will be our first trip to Europe and we are very excited (nervous but excited).

Thank you so much for sharing this photo, appreciate it very much. Happy cruising! Sleddogs

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary

Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)

Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)

Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Toni 40, we did the Med with the Millenium in 2001. It was strenous, so much to see and do. But even as advanced seniors, we enjoyed every minute of it, even the Camel ride. Are they still doing Istanbul and Cairo?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo23:

Linda,thanks for the kind words.I have got so much informative info from the boards myself that I felt that i had to put some back.Being a first time cruiser i also felt that I could and should sell the experience to others who have been hesitating for some reason.It took us 30 years of marriage to get us on to the ocean wave so hopefully others will do that sooner.

Travel2: I notice that Constellation is going on a very interesting itinerary (once only) from Dover on july 17th this year.It calls at Le Havre(paris),Rigaskiddy(cork,Ireland),Dublin,Greenock(Glasgow Scotland),Then calls at Geiranger.Hellesylt ,Olden and Bergen in the Norwegian Fjord country It then goes to Copenhagen and Zeebrugge (Brussels) on the way back to Dover.Sounds a great itinerary and one that I would go on.Lindas mouth is watering now !!

Alternatively Fred Olsen cruises goes from Dover (you can find them on the web) and their ships The Black Prince and the Braemar are smaller ships with largely british pax and they are very popular with american guests due to the culture differences in the cruise lines ,I seem to remember either Black Prince or Braemar coming in the top ten American choice cruise ships somehere I read.

Whether yo are planning for an imminent trip or one next year or indeed just browsing there is a wealth of info on these boards and others that will decide for you.

happy cruising

Jim and Margaret

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brussels is the capitale of Belgium.

Zeebrugge is a harbour at the belgian coast at 10 miles of Brugge and about 90 miles from Brussel.

If you dock in Zeebrugge you're to short in time to visit Brussel in one day.

travel2, Unfortunately no Istanbul or Cairo on this itinerary. I was booked on the Millennium for August 2002 and Istanbul was a port on the itinerary then, but after 9/11, Celebrity cancelled the cruise. Celebrity seems to be avoiding Turkey altogether now.

Freddy, I visited your beautiful city of Brugge last year after docking at Zeebrugge. While some of my fellow passengers did go on an excursion to Brussels, it made for a very long day. We opted to visit Brugge instead and we were so glad we did.

Toni

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by travel2:

Has anyone done it and with which ship. Any Info you want to pass on ?

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trevel2

I have some pictures at:

http://www.cruisemates.com/MBindex/PGindex.cfm

Click on "Gallery search" and type "joe reynolds" and then go to Fjords. I have done it twice, and it is one of our favorite cruises. Have a report somewhere on both hidden in my computer.

Joe Reynolds

[This message was edited by scapel on 04-06-04 at 11:34 AM.]

[This message was edited by scapel on 04-06-04 at 11:42 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo23:

Excellent ship ,particularly on this cruise. We did the baltics but got diverted to the norwegian fjords due to ice in the gulf of finland .

there is a review you can look at here is the link

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=069097554&m=3533023377

happy cruising

Jim

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

Good point about not getting off the train at the first Rostock signe. We almost got off, but noticed no one else seemed to be getting off so stayed on until the next stop. Good advice to get the map so you don't make a mistake and get off at the wrong stop.

Joe Reynolds

scapel - Thank you, beautiful shots. We opted to use HAL's Westerdamm, although we are loyal RCI cruisers.

Somehow, going all the way to the Northern Cap made the trip more attractive.

Archived