Port Days...ID??

When returning to the ship from port, I have been asked to show my sail & sign card 100% of the time, and a photo ID only a few times. Those were at a few Southern Caribbean ports, and I think Nassau. You don't need to take your passport with you, although it would be a comfort to have it I'm sure if you happen to get left behind.

Whenever I'm on foreign soil, my passport is with me. A copy would do no good if a problem should arise.

When leaving Cozumel and several other islands, I've had to show my photo ID as well as my S&S card.

When going into port what is the best ID to take with you?

I would rather leave my passport in the cabin safe, but at the same time that passport would save me if I had any trouble...

Opinions and Suggestions...

Thanks CCer's

Kris

You have opened a can of worms.

You have a group that says never leave the ship without your passport. You have another that says leave it on the ship. I am not getting into that discussion. IMO the answer is different in Europe than it is in the Caribbean.

What you MUST have when you leave the ship are two things:

1. Your S&S card.

2. If you are over 16 a photo ID. (Which photo ID to take is your choice.)

When going into port what is the best ID to take with you?

I would rather leave my passport in the cabin safe, but at the same time that passport would save me if I had any trouble...

Opinions and Suggestions...

Thanks CCer's

Kris

A Passport is issued to identify you positively. Purchasing one and leaving it in a safe doesn't do a thing for you if something happens ashore. If you are in an accident, or miss the ship, or arrested (:eek: ) or any number of things, the passport won't do you a bit of good sitting in the safe.

You'll get all kinds of information and opinions here...but, keep in mind, copies of your passport are worthless ashore if there is a problem. A copy won't do you if you need to leave the cruise for any reason and fly home on your own... While it's true that on some islands, a government ID and photo ID is perfectly acceptable, a passport is always your best choice....else, why bother to get one.

...else' date=' why bother to get one.[/quote']

There is no reason to get one to cruise on a closed loop cruise. It is not required on any island or by the CBP in the US.

There is no need for a passport on any of the Caribbean islands and you are more likely to lose or damage it than you are to need it for any thing.

Archived