Sandwich question

I have read on many carnival "secrets" posts that people recommend ordering room service sandwiches and putting them in ziploc baggies and taking them with you to the beach and such....

but I have then read numerous threads where people say you are not allowed to take things off the ship that arent prepackaged......can anyone clear this up?

You are not allowed to take anything of the ship that is not pre-packaged (e.g. fruits, meat, vegetables) - and if found you will be asked to discard it upon leaving the ship. Your best bet is granola bars, trail mix (prepacked and brought from home) or some of the small cereal boxes from the breakfast buffet - or any other prepackaged snacks.

I'm sure some folks do get away with this; however I will not be in that number. I did it once, 'way back, before I knew about the possible damage to islands eco system. WE are the visitors to these beautiful islands, and should respect their laws.

It depends on the port whether or not it is enforced. I find with the U.S. and Mexico ports its strictly enforced. (Puerto Rico. St. Thomas. Port Canaveral, New York etc.) While in others because the island needs the tourism revenue its no big deal (Bahamas, Grand Turk or the cruiseline private island)

We have snuck off sandwiches and boxes of cereal before and they never stopped us. I think as long as it is not fruit or vegetables, you should be ok.

It is, more often than not, against the LAW to take food off the ships. It has to do with possible damage to the ecosystem on the islands you are visiting. The fact that you "snuck off" sandwiches tells us you knew it was wrong, but did it anyway.

Either go back to the ship and eat, or, even better, contribute to the local economy and eat in a restaurant ashore.

Also....the cuisine on the islands is a big part of my vacation. It's always interesting to try new foods, and I've never been disappointed.

IF you must take anything from the ship - boxed cereals, prepackaged (from the manufacturer) items like granola bars, cookies, etc. are fine. MEATS, veggies, and fruit are the primary offenders.

I repeat - WE don't want to be the cause of a failed eco-system. How would they feed themselves but for their crops, etc.?

Think about it. :rolleyes:

It is, more often than not, against the LAW to take food off the ships. It has to do with possible damage to the ecosystem on the islands you are visiting. The fact that you "snuck off" sandwiches tells us you knew it was wrong, but did it anyway.

Either go back to the ship and eat, or, even better, contribute to the local economy and eat in a restaurant ashore.

Totally Agree!!

We always bring ziplocs and take sandwiches off of the ship. We do it to save money (last cruise the only charges on our sign and sail cards were the tips... sorry we are crazy frugal) and also because some of the places we may travel while in port may not necessarily have food available for purchase. If you walk off with food in your hand, they will make you finish it or dispose of it before you leave the ship.

Just wondering, I'm not one to try and harm the environment... if we bring sandwiches off of the ship and eat them on the beach without leaving any food or trash behind (we only bring off what we KNOW we are going to eat and then we pack the trash back up... which is just two ziploc bags... and dispose of it back on the ship)... how are we damaging an ecosystem? Honestly, I'm just inquisitive about this!

I do my best to contribute to the local economies by purchasing a local beer (or several) in every port! :p

We always bring ziplocs and take sandwiches off of the ship. We do it to save money (last cruise the only charges on our sign and sail cards were the tips... sorry we are crazy frugal) and also because some of the places we may travel while in port may not necessarily have food available for purchase. If you walk off with food in your hand, they will make you finish it or dispose of it before you leave the ship.

Just wondering, I'm not one to try and harm the environment... if we bring sandwiches off of the ship and eat them on the beach without leaving any food or trash behind (we only bring off what we KNOW we are going to eat and then we pack the trash back up... which is just two ziploc bags... and dispose of it back on the ship)... how are we damaging an ecosystem? Honestly, I'm just inquisitive about this!

I do my best to contribute to the local economies by purchasing a local beer (or several) in every port! :p

What port (or island) have you ever been to where there was absolutely NO "food available for purchase"?? Weird! I would think the cruise ships should stop going to those places! :rolleyes:

It is the LAW that you are not to bring fresh foods off of the ship. Why is that not enough reason for you? In your money saving, "crazy frugal" planning, maybe you should save up a little bit extra so you can buy a sandwich when you are in port OR get back on the ship and eat there. But stop breaking the law in order to save a few measly dollars.

I don't know HOW the infestations happen that have destroyed crops, but it does happen. And NOT bringing fresh food off the cruise ships is doing YOUR small part in preventing such devastations in the future. It's simple enough.

I have read on many carnival "secrets" posts that people recommend ordering room service sandwiches and putting them in ziploc baggies and taking them with you to the beach and such....

but I have then read numerous threads where people say you are not allowed to take things off the ship that arent prepackaged......can anyone clear this up?

It's very simple. There are signs all over the place - notices in the Capers and verbal announcements....you are not permitted to take food off the ship unless it is prepackaged such as crackers, chips, etc.

Sandwiches, fresh fruit, etc are forbidden...

There are reasons for this. Primary is to protect the island from any invasive "critters" that might arrive with your banana. This can mean spores, bacterias, fungi and other things that might infect a crop or flora on the island.

There are those, of course, who don't give a darn (after all, they are on vacation and have paid good money - they will do whatever they want). They take it off anyway.....or grumble and complain when it's taken away from them at the exit.

Do yourself a favor. Don't. Part of experiencing new things is the food experience. Take some crackers or chips or cookies - prepackaged. If you get hungry, grab something different ashore...something you might not try at home.

I knew I'd get bashed for asking a question. Oh well.

We did a tour in St. Kitts and didn't bring any food off the ship with us. We met the tour guide at 8:30am and didn't have an opportunity to purchase food until 2:00pm... since we were getting dropped off at the ship at 3:00pm we just waited and ate a really late lunch. But were pretty dang hungry all afternoon.

We took a bus to a beach on Antigua... no food available... the only person selling anything there was a guy with a jet ski offering rides. Glad we had some food with us.

And in my opinion there is no such thing as "a few measly dollars". To me, every dollar counts. I grew up extremely poor... and I'm just happy that I was able to finally work myself into the middle class. I don't seek out opportunities to break the rules, but I guess I am one of those people who doesn't follow all the rules. :rolleyes:

BTW if you want some fabulous "local food", I highly recommend taking the Cosol tour in St. Lucia - still drooling about some of the items I tasted on that tour!!!

We did a tour in St. Kitts and didn't bring any food off the ship with us. We met the tour guide at 8:30am and didn't have an opportunity to purchase food until 2:00pm... since we were getting dropped off at the ship at 3:00pm we just waited and ate a really late lunch. But were pretty dang hungry all afternoon.

We took a bus to a beach on Antigua... no food available... the only person selling anything there was a guy with a jet ski offering rides. Glad we had some food with us.

And in my opinion there is no such thing as "a few measly dollars". To me, every dollar counts. I grew up extremely poor... and I'm just happy that I was able to finally work myself into the middle class. I don't seek out opportunities to break the rules, but I guess I am one of those people who doesn't follow all the rules. :rolleyes:

BTW if you want some fabulous "local food", I highly recommend taking the Cosol tour in St. Lucia - still drooling about some of the items I tasted on that tour!!!

You can take packaged food (i.e. granola bars, boxes of cereal and so on) with you to tide you over. I always make sure I have something, just in case we have to wait for a restuarant to open or for a long bus ride. Just don't take any fresh foods on or off the ship and you're fine. If it were an arbitrary rule, it wouldn't be such a problem. But it's not about them making more money. It's about the health of the ports.

So it's ok to break the rules that YOU want to break ?

So it's ok to break the rules that YOU want to break ?

I never said it was okay! But for the record, taking food off of a cruise ship is pretty much the extent of my horrible crimes against society. I know there are people reading this that have worse skeletons in their closets.

Bottom line... you aren't supposed to take fresh food off of cruise ships. I think that answers the original thread question.

Use your own discretion. I never claimed to be a role model.

I never said it was okay! But for the record, taking food off of a cruise ship is pretty much the extent of my horrible crimes against society. I know there are people reading this that have worse skeletons in their closets.

Bottom line... you aren't supposed to take fresh food off of cruise ships. I think that answers the original thread question.

Use your own discretion. I never claimed to be a role model.

LOL! I saw this one coming a mile away. Let me give you a heads up on another subject. If you decide to share a soda card with your significant other........don't post it on here:D :)

TVChick: I had the same question as you, so don't feel bad...and people can bash me if they wish...I am not a rule breaker, and I doubt I will take any food off of the ship...but I, too, was wondering how the ecosystem could be hurt...true, fresh produce and uncooked meats could introduce unhealthy elements...but a PBJ sandwich? a couple of cookies? no way...I just think the general prohibition keeps the bases covered

again...I have no intent of breaking this rule, law or whatever...but I can't help it that I, too, have a desire to know the why behind a law, and it's not "good enough" just to know it's a law...we are intelligent human beings after all and not robots or trained animals :rolleyes:

also, for the record, I am opposed to the sharing of soda cards...the reason: I consider it a form of stealing

but I, too, was wondering how the ecosystem could be hurt...

The Mexican Fruit Fly is one example on how the eco system can be hurt:

The Mexican fruit fly, Anastrepha ludens (Loew), is a very serious pest of various fruits, particularly citrus and mango, in Mexico and Central America. Its natural distribution includes the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, where populations routinely attain pest status if control measures are not practiced. It is a frequent invader in southern California and Arizona. Mexican fruit fly represents a particular threat to Florida because of its special affinity for grapefruit, of which Florida is one of the world's leading producers.

mexican_fly09.jpg

Wennfred, if you read my whole post, you would have seen that I readily agreed and understood that fresh produce could carry harmful elements--like that pest you posted about...but I also added that I did not understand how a PBJ sandwich or a couple of cookies could cause any harm

Wennfred, if you read my whole post, you would have seen that I readily agreed and understood that fresh produce could carry harmful elements--like that pest you posted about...but I also added that I did not understand how a PBJ sandwich or a couple of cookies could cause any harm

Fruit flys like PBJ sandwiches too :D

Fred

Archived