Blue Mountinas: How best to tour?

swdke

On my upcoming trip to Sydney in November, I wish to visit the Blue Mountains. I've read about many tours, but it's hard to decide among all the tour companies. I've read good things about Wonderbus and Oztrails, but there are apparently many others. Any advice as to which is best?

Or, I understand can rent a car and drive which may offer more flexibility.

Then, I can take the train. Or, take the train part way to avoid the Sydney traffic conjestion, and rent a car from a nearby station, and continue on to the Blue Mountains and enjoy at our own pace and agenda.

Wow, many options, can anyone help with suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

edit, Uh, that's Blue Mountains, not Mountinas ;-)

If you're talking a day tour ... most people recommend taking the train to Katoomba ( 2 hrs each way) and then using the "hop-on-hop-off" bus as a pretty good option.

If you have a couple of days, hire a car (with GPS) in Sydney and take your time getting up there and having a look around.

On my upcoming trip to Sydney in November, I wish to visit the Blue Mountains. I've read about many tours, but it's hard to decide among all the tour companies. I've read good things about Wonderbus and Oztrails, but there are apparently many others. Any advice as to which is best?

Or, I understand can rent a car and drive which may offer more flexibility.

Then, I can take the train. Or, take the train part way to avoid the Sydney traffic conjestion, and rent a car from a nearby station, and continue on to the Blue Mountains and enjoy at our own pace and agenda.

Wow, many options, can anyone help with suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

edit, Uh, that's Blue Mountains, not Mountinas ;-)

You are correct about the options. Some people are not confident with driving on the left side of the road, and as you are from OHIO I suggest that you think about it as it is weird! When I was in the States it took two full days of driving until I felt my thinking adjust. You may be more advanced than me though!

If confident - hire a car.

If unsure, I personally would not take a tour - but this is me. I find crowds unfavourable as you lack the ability to go at your own pace, and it is hard not to feel like you are on a school excursion.... The Blue Mountains is VERY EASY to navigate and there are so many things to see.

I h ave not taken the train/hop-on-hop-off bus option, but I have heard of other cruise critic members who loved it. Naturally you need to wait around a bit, or alternatively rush around, to make the stops at the right time. Otherwise you have a wait until it makes the circuit again.

Remember that the weather in the BM can vary greatly to Sydney. So, being in your own car can allow you to pack plenty of clothes and rain gear as well. If you are on the train it may be too much to lug around.

Anyway, the BM are wonderful and I am sure you will love it no matter what you decide!

Remember that you need an international driver's licence if you are going to get a car.... most people forget that, :D

Mark.

the one benefit from using a tour is if you have a short time. The tours usually include a trip to a wildlife park to see the koalas etc. Then you visit the olympic park then onto a ferry for the trip back to the city.

I have taken a few overseas friends to the mountains and i live closer to them than the city. It is always a full on day if you want to ride the cable car and steepest railway etc. We never had chance to do the wildlife park in the same day.

It depends on your time and whether you just have to have a taster/quick overall view or go for a longer bushwalk and see the beauty of the mountains.

If you only had a couple of days i would vote for a tour as there is so much to see in the city.

It is an easy drive once you are out of the city.

I doubt you would find a car rental close to the station , I would vote to use the hop on hop off bus once there if you catch the train.

I agree about the weather. The last twice i have been there in feb and march it has been misty and we couldnt see the 3 sisters (rock formation) it did clear up in the march trip though so they could take some amazing photos.

whatever you decide you will love it

Archived