Laptop on HAL.....

sail7seas

I Have 2 HP's -- both have WiFi.

In fact I am using one right now in the house. A few times I have talkern one of the laptops out on the back patio - it's great.

When we were on the Maasdam last August - I used quite a bit that way. Most times I just plugged into an outlet in the cabin -- no problems.

Same thing on the Ryndam - plugged in anywhere and used it everywhere on the ship. Only a couple of places was the reception bad.

It's Windows XP. If it has factory WiFi do I still need the USB Network Adapter?

No you should be good to go if it has built-in. You need the adapter only if it is old enough not to have it built-in but "new" enough to have USB 2.0.

Thanks. I'm all set with Vaio then. I'd rather not bring that one but will if the other turns out to not have built in WiFi. Though, no big deal to get the adapter. I'm fairly certain it's new enough to either have built in WiFi or have the proper slot.

Of course, the alternative is to buy one of those really cool small, lightweight travel laptops. I've been talking about/thinking about doing that for ages. I'd just need for DH's friend to get all my 'stuff' loaded into it for me. :)

It's Windows XP. If it has factory WiFi do I still need the USB Network Adapter?
As KK and NetWkEng said you'd be all set. But I suggest that you take it to the Explorations Cafe when the network manager is there to get started, because you may have to change a couple of settings to be able to use it on board.

The first thing I always do (and the network manager won't tell you this) is to change my home page to the very simple google.com so that I don't have to waste time loading up my usual complex home page that I immediately navigate away from. :) (You can't use a blank home page, in case anyone wondered.)

I have never had to change any of my settings.

I just click onto Internet Explorer (different than what I use at home) and I am in right away.

One thing to remember is to use the code to sign off - something like http://1.1.1 ???? - I can't remember it exactly as I don't have my notes handy. If you don't use this code you will use up a lot of time.

I have never had to change any of my settings.
Some will, some won't. I like to use Outlook Express, and must always change my outgoing SMTP server address.

One thing to remember is to use the code to sign off - something like http://1.1.1 ???? - I can't remember it exactly as I don't have my notes handy. If you don't use this code you will use up a lot of time.

Right - 1.1.1.1

Some will, some won't. I like to use Outlook Express, and must always change my outgoing SMTP server address.

Groan......

I thought I was on top of this and now you go and throw a SMTP at me.

Geez....... whaddidIdo to deserve to get tossed a SMTP???? :D

Groan......

I thought I was on top of this and now you go and throw a SMTP at me.

Geez....... whaddidIdo to deserve to get tossed a SMTP???? :D

Do you use Outlook or Outlook Express for your email? If yes, you will be able to to receive email ok, but not send from your laptop unless you make the change. If that's the case, ask the Internet Manager how to change it. But make sure you know how to change it back before you go home! :D

Oh wait a second ... you use AOL, don't you? That's another reason to get started when the Internet Manager is present, as I believe there's some other idiosyncrasies to deal with when using AOL. :D

I use Verizon and MSN e-mails -- so far have never had a problem on ship board.
Yes, those are web-based emails, and work differently from email programs like Outlook, Eurdora, et al. I avoid using my ISP-based email because I must read and write mail online, rather than off-line with just brief connections to receive and send batches.

Yes, John...... I use AOL e-mail but have always been able to get my mail on the ship's computers. I just go to aol.com, sign in and get my mail. I also have yahoo as in my signature.

DH brought home my Compaq and (happily) I find it is factory WiFi.....Whew!

I'm going to bring that computer to Maasdam.

THANK YOU SO for your help....all of you. :)

In return, any questions anyone has re: Maasdam I shall answer while aboard using my laptop about which we have yakked for hours.

Yes, John...... I use AOL e-mail but have always been able to get my mail on the ship's computers. I just go to aol.com, sign in and get my mail. I also have yahoo as in my signature.

DH brought home my Compaq and (happily) I find it is factory WiFi.....Whew!

I'm going to bring that computer to Maasdam.

THANK YOU SO for your help....all of you. :)

In return, any questions anyone has re: Maasdam I shall answer while aboard using my laptop about which we have yakked for hours.

Great! I just got done sending you an email describing how to check if it had wifi ... all for nothing! :D :D

Yes, I know you can read/write AOL email on the ship's computers but I think there are some things that have to be set a certain way to get to AOL from your laptop through the ship's server. I have a piece of paper listing things (*) that have to be set a certain way in order to connect to the ship's server, and I think there's a couple of additional things for AOL. For most people these settings are already correct, but there may be some that are not. That's why I say you should first try to connect when the Internet Manager is nearby in case of any problems.

Also, I suggest that you might find it faster on the ship to go directly to http://webmail.aol.com instead of going to aol.com first and incurring an extra layer of page-loading and complexity that you don't really need. (Try that URL at home first and see what you think.)

* Examples: set Wireless Connection SSID to mtndsi, "automatically detect settings", "do not use a proxy server", disable firewall, disable adapter card encryption, disable pop-up blocker, "obtain an IP address automatically", "obtain DNS server address automatically", "disable anti-virus script blocking", etc.

Groan...... I don't understand a bit of anything following the *

I'm sure that comes as a shock!! :D

You are sooo nice to have e-mailed me. I'll go check my yahoo.

I'm having a horrid time with my laptop today and AOL. I can't open my mail list. When I sign on through my regular AOL home, my computer hangs up. Grrr....

I've had to go to AOL. com and sign in there to get my mail list and read.

I will definitely meet the Internet Manager before I try to do anything when I get to Maasdam with my computer and will be sure to write down what to do to reverse the steps when we leave.

You have saved me gobs of trouble I am very sure.

Greatly appreciated.

Sincere thank you.

In the past, I have used the ship's computers to communicate with home and office, but this time I am thinking about bringing my laptop.

Is the rate for the packaged minutes the same for the ship's computers as it is for your own computer? Will the laptop work from our cabin? Or will I need to go to a wireless area? I receive and send E-Mail from webmail.att.net.

What are the pros and cons in case there are some I haven't thought of yet?

The instant gratification of seeing my photos immediately would be a big PLUS!

Thanks, Ilene

Is the rate for the packaged minutes the same for the ship's computers as it is for your own computer?

Yes.

Will the laptop work from our cabin? Or will I need to go to a wireless area?

The strength of the signal you will receive in your cabin will depend on the "luck of the draw" - how close you are to one of the hallway antennas. So far our friends on the Eurodam have all reported excellent signals in their cabins, but they could all have gotten lucky! Or maybe the system has been improved over prior ships.

On two Vistas in order to use wifi from my cabin I had to prop the door open a little and sit just inside the door. Worst case you may have to go to a public area. On Vistas my favorite spot is in the Ocean Bar, just off the Atrium on the starboard side. The strongest signal is usually in the Explorations Cafe.

I receive and send E-Mail from webmail.att.net.

That'll work!

What are the pros and cons in case there are some I haven't thought of yet?

IMO, the only con is carrying the dang thing through airports etc. The pros are numerous. Besides convenience of being able to work from just about anywhere, if you use a mail program such as Outlook Express you can save considerable time/money by doing most of your email reading/writing off-line. Connect, down-load any mail waiting, disconnect, read/write leisurely, reconnect and send it all. Plus the convenience of never having to wait for a ship's computer, or feel rushed if someone else is waiting - having all your "favorites" handy - having all your email addresses handy - being able to look back through old emails or files if needed - and the safety of having your own keyboard if you run into a Code Red situation.

The instant gratification of seeing my photos immediately would be a big PLUS!

Plus the safety of having a backup copy of you pics on the hard drive or a CD in case you should have trouble with your camera - malfunction, or loss/theft.

The first thing I always do (and the network manager won't tell you this) is to change my home page to the very simple google.com so that I don't have to waste time loading up my usual complex home page that I immediately navigate away from. :) (You can't use a blank home page, in case anyone wondered.)

You also can't use page that uses https protocols, such as signing in to Yahoo. Google is a good idea since it is both simple and low in graphic content (therefore quicker to load over the slow sat link).

You also can't use page that uses https protocols, such as signing in to Yahoo. Google is a good idea since it is both simple and low in graphic content (therefore quicker to load over the slow sat link).

:confused: Uhmmm, not sure why you think that. "Https" just means it's secure. Anytime you go to a site that has a shopping cart, do your banking, get an airline ticket - all of those are "https" and I assure you - they all work onboard ship. As for Yahoo! I always have My Yahoo! as my home page, I have an email acount there too and have never had a problem with content or access.

I'm a freelance web designer/IT person and I do work when I'm onboard and work on sites, upload via ftp... etc everything is available via wifi AND the internet cafe, the only things blocked are file sharing sites (napster, isohunt, etc...) and video download sites and some streaming tv/video/etc.. because of bandwidth restrictions. Everything else is completely available.

Lydia

:confused: Uhmmm, not sure why you think that. "Https" just means it's secure. Anytime you go to a site that has a shopping cart, do your banking, get an airline ticket - all of those are "https" and I assure you - they all work onboard ship. As for Yahoo! I always have My Yahoo! as my home page, I have an email acount there too and have never had a problem with content or access.

I'm a freelance web designer/IT person and I do work when I'm onboard and work on sites, upload via ftp... etc everything is available via wifi AND the internet cafe, the only things blocked are file sharing sites (napster, isohunt, etc...) and video download sites and some streaming tv/video/etc.. because of bandwidth restrictions. Everything else is completely available.

Lydia

The scenario we are talking about is what page to bring up as your "home page" when you first establish a session on board, not whether you can use HTTPS or anything else after sign on to the network server on board. What happens is the network server intercepts the initial web page request and you go into a log-on sequence. After the log-on sequence, the server then forwards the original web request. If the initial web request is one that uses a secure link, there will be an error message generated, burning connect time. I tried using the Yahoo sign-in page (https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.pd=c%3DaMtFxUmp2e6zaBL942f2v6LoDw--&.src=my&.done=http://cm.my.yahoo.com&.intl=us) for the initial web page request and consistently ran into problems. Using any normal http request for the initial page for the log-on sequence will work, but as John stated, picking one with low content is good to avoid wasting time. After the log-on, HTTPS is available where required.

If I bring a laptop with me to a hotel or ship, can it be used as dial up?

No laughing permitted.

Just courteous, informed, straight faced responses, if you please. ;) :rolleyes:

Sail, trust me ... if you knew the stupid thing I did at work last night ... deleting a vital server connection to the main frame ... you would know that you're not "computer stupid." We all are at different times ... some (me ... me) more than most. :(

If the hotel you are staying at has a dial up connection, then you should be able to use it. The hotel will tell you how to configure a connection for their system via Windows. Shouldn't be difficult at all. There's a Wizard provided for that that makes it simple. The desk person should be able to easily walk you through.

As for on the ship, no dial up. You have to use a wireless connection. So, you'll need a wireless card in your laptop, or an auxiliary card that you plug in when you want to go on a wireless network. Depends if you have the wireless card built it. I don't, so I have to plug in a LinkSys card.

Again, the internet manager will be very helpful in getting you online. The only caution I would give you about using wireless on the ship is to be very, very careful about following the logout instructions provided. Don't just turn off your laptop and pull out the LinkSys card. HAL's network will think you are still logged in and will be billing you minutes. I saw this happen to someone on my last cruise. She went through all her minutes and couldn't understand it. Luckily the internet manager was good enough to credit them back for her. There are detailed instructions for logging out provided at the internet center (Explorations Cafe). Just make sure you follow them.

The nice thing about bringing a laptop on a cruise is that if you are planning on needing to do a lot of correspondence or other work (I have to write and submit articles for a couple of clients while onboard), you can do everything offline and only log on to transmit. That's nice and it really economizes on the internet minutes. If you use their computers at the Explorations Cafe, you have no choice. You're online for the entire time you are using the computer. Needless to say, you'll go through 100 minutes before you know it ... and constantly be buying more internet time.

Also, I like the laptop because while I am writing and working offline, I can be in the comfort of my cabin, working in my "birthday suit" if I so desire. Don't try that one in the Explorations Cafe. :)

As I always tell people when they call the Help Desk at work and say "I have a stupid question," (we man the Help Desk on 3rd shift), the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Just get help when you need it and you'll never be considered dumb with computers.

Blue skies ...

--rita

So I should be able to upload files via FTPCommander while on the ship?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived