Cruise or AI?

SusieV

Just this morning I have been pricing all inclusive vs a cruise for the week of Christmas

Cruise lines just cant compete. 6 star, all suite, all inclusive, 7 nights Christmas week, $3600.00 for 2.

Plus, no bar tab, no tipping expected but appreciated.

For the holiday, it will be land based, all inclusive, all the way.:D

Just this morning I have been pricing all inclusive vs a cruise for the week of Christmas

Cruise lines just cant compete. 6 star, all suite, all inclusive, 7 nights Christmas week, $3600.00 for 2.

Plus, no bar tab, no tipping expected but appreciated.

For the holiday, it will be land based, all inclusive, all the way.:D

That's pretty low for Christmas....what resort is it? Where is the air from? I've been selling AI's for a long time, and for a 6 star that is really inexpensive.

Absolutely I will do a review and comparison! I'll also have a day by day review written in my blog, Korbel Travel Adventures. It's been a bit slower this year unfortunately!

We found that the AI ended up being significantly less expensive, especially given that we tend to go a little wild with our onboard bill.

We did choose to book our air through Air Canada though so we could pick our own flight times and get air miles. The timing actually works like a dream, it's like getting a whole extra night! We leave Toronto at 6am and get to Cancun at 10am. Coming home, our flight doesn't depart until 6pm! So we thought that was worth the slight premium.

Yes, all the tours are free which is very exciting for us after paying so much on cruises. And we loved the idea of being able to use the other resorts! Aventura Spa Palace doesn't have a true beach (just a lagoon) so when we want a day in the sand we can just hop a shuttle to a different resort.

I have to admit, after reading all the features, I am getting excited. I read a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor and there were very, very few negative ones and most of them seemed like Negative Nellies.

Absolutely I will do a review and comparison! I'll also have a day by day review written in my blog, Korbel Travel Adventures. It's been a bit slower this year unfortunately!

We found that the AI ended up being significantly less expensive, especially given that we tend to go a little wild with our onboard bill.

We did choose to book our air through Air Canada though so we could pick our own flight times and get air miles. The timing actually works like a dream, it's like getting a whole extra night! We leave Toronto at 6am and get to Cancun at 10am. Coming home, our flight doesn't depart until 6pm! So we thought that was worth the slight premium.

Yes, all the tours are free which is very exciting for us after paying so much on cruises. And we loved the idea of being able to use the other resorts! Aventura Spa Palace doesn't have a true beach (just a lagoon) so when we want a day in the sand we can just hop a shuttle to a different resort.

I have to admit, after reading all the features, I am getting excited. I read a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor and there were very, very few negative ones and most of them seemed like Negative Nellies.

The beach at Cancun Palace and Sun Palace are both nice...The pools at Aventura are so nice, you may not miss the beach:). You can put your lounger right in the pool on the ledge and sit there all day:). I have been to all the Palace Resorts and about 8 other properties, and I still think the Palace Resorts have the best service! Have a great time!

I know there have been some discussions here comparing price of AIs versus a cruise. In my experience, the top AIs are more expensive, particuarly if you are comparing an inside or OV cabin on a cruise with an AI. We are making plans to go to one of the new Secrets resorts in Riviera Maya next May. So far cost is as follows:

Round trip air from Phila to Cancun on US Air - $1006 per person (current price)

All-Inclusive Hotel - Junior Suite - $550 per night which includes 30% discount.

Total price for 6 nights - $5312 not including any extras.

I assume I could do lots of cruises for that price - probably even in a suite. One of the problems now is that airfare to Caribbean and Mexico is very expensive. Although fares inside US have increased, it appears that Caribbean fares have increased even more.

Seems rather high to me. We are staying at the Royal Hideaway Playacar, and with air (from Washington DC) for 7 nights it's $3700 total (including transfer to and from airport, and trip insurance). Now admitedly we are staying in a regular room, and not a suite.

I would look into packages where flight and hotel are included.

Seems rather high to me. We are staying at the Royal Hideaway Playacar, and with air (from Washington DC) for 7 nights it's $3700 total (including transfer to and from airport, and trip insurance). Now admitedly we are staying in a regular room, and not a suite.

When are you travelling? Are you on a charter flight? Even with the 5th night free promo I'm seeing 3700 for two without air (just using Aug dates). I stayed at Royal Hideawy and loved it!

When are you travelling? Are you on a charter flight? Even with the 5th night free promo I'm seeing 3700 for two without air (just using Aug dates). I stayed at Royal Hideawy and loved it!

That price did look too good to be true but I guess they got some kind of deal. In my experience, there is no magic about vacation packages anymore since airlines do not discount the airfares to anyone. I checked several sites including US airways for packages and the price is essentially the same - price of airfare + price of hotel. There were some slightly cheaper packaes available with connecting flights and overnight flights. No thanks.

All I'm seeing is 5200 for two...have checked a few websites....what are your dates of travel?

All I'm seeing is 5200 for two...have checked a few websites....what are your dates of travel?

We are doing it via JetBlue. Dates of travel are 8/30/08 - 9/6/08. I know it's a risky time. Maybe that's the reason? Seems to me that besides the holidays the prices were good.

We are doing it via JetBlue. Dates of travel are 8/30/08 - 9/6/08. I know it's a risky time. Maybe that's the reason? Seems to me that besides the holidays the prices were good.

That's a great price...jet blue has no flights left on the 6th....8/31-9/7 that package is running 4372 without insurance.....

OK as long as you don't mind the plane with the rubber band propeller.

I just checked same trip on Travel Impressions from DCA and lowest price was $4300 with connecting flights. Of course, it is late now and you always get a better price on air when you book early. Have a great time!

That's a great price...jet blue has no flights left on the 6th....8/31-9/7 that package is running 4372 without insurance.....

I will say that we are lucky, because I just checked to see what it would cost for the same price for seven days from 1/10/09 to 1/17/09 and it is almost double at $6,477.14. You could have blown me over. Maybe the hotel has discounts for frequent guests? (Just kidding).

I do plan to do a pros and cons trip report when I get back. Having cruised with Celebrity for 25+ times I am familiar with the Celebrity brand and am wide open to AIs now.

I will say that we are lucky, because I just checked to see what it would cost for the same price for seven days from 1/10/09 to 1/17/09 and it is almost double at $6,477.14. You could have blown me over. Maybe the hotel has discounts for frequent guests? (Just kidding).

I do plan to do a pros and cons trip report when I get back. Having cruised with Celebrity for 25+ times I am familiar with the Celebrity brand and am wide open to AIs now.

Big difference in price for AIs between Aug-Sept and January. AIs price differently compared to cruises which can actually cost more in the Summer except for Christmas / New Years. Also airfares are way up and still increasing.

OK as long as you don't mind the plane with the rubber band propeller.

I just checked same trip on Travel Impressions from DCA and lowest price was $4300 with connecting flights. Of course, it is late now and you always get a better price on air when you book early. Have a great time!

Hey I love Jet Blue. At least they treat you like a human being unlike some other major airlines I have flown recently. Yeah, unfortunately it isn't a direct flight but there aren't many from here to Cancun (we prefer IAD). There is United but after what I saw on United flight last year I will never, ever fly them again.

We booked this on 6/15/08.

Hey I love Jet Blue. At least they treat you like a human being unlike some other major airlines I have flown recently. Yeah, unfortunately it isn't a direct flight but there aren't many from here to Cancun (we prefer IAD). There is United but after what I saw on United flight last year I will never, ever fly them again.

We booked this on 6/15/08.

Ditto that -- yay JetBlue. We flew nonstop Syracuse to Ft. Lauderdale -- on time flights, friendly staff, comfortable new e-Jet, 40 channels of TV (and over 100 of music) make the flight go by... and at a good fare to boot. Hope they can sustain the model. :)

Archived