carry on luggage duty free alcohol

gizzigoo

As our next cruise is on the Dawn and I have to fly down and back bris-syd

I will be buying my quota of Alcohol off the ship, no Vila this time.

I thought that alcohol must be packed in my luggage and not be taken on my flight back as hand luggage.

But I have just been told that if it is a domestic flight this is not a problem. This is only a requirement with international flights.

I know one of you good people will be able to answer this one.

Glenda

Restrictions on liquids currently only apply to international flights.

That is correct. I would carry the alcohol in your hand luggage to avoid breakage in your checked bag. I know someone who had a bottle of red wine break in a suitcase and ruin her clothes.:)

Thanks for that, I am very pleased :D. My friend on the last cruise was adamant that you couldn't carry it on a flight at all, domestic or international and she packed hers in her luggage.

But given that the majority of her flights are international this is probably why she thought that and I just never really thought about it till now.

And I didn't want to pack mine in my luggage just incase it did break.

One very happy person:D

Restrictions on liquids currently only apply to international flights.

Which is something I always find really strange. If large volumes of liquids are a risk on International flights, why aren't they a risk on domestic flights?

Which is something I always find really strange. If large volumes of liquids are a risk on International flights, why aren't they a risk on domestic flights?

'Tis the Americans who brought this rule in. Don't know the position on US domestic flights. :):)

It all depends on the countries risk factor!

I just got back from Thailand a few weeks ago and the international liquid limit is also enforced on domestic flights and i think its the same in the U.K.

So there must be less of a "Home grown" Risk in Australia?

We took our duty free on the plane to Thailand from Oz but wasnt alowed to carry it on in transit from Phuket to Samui after customs.

Wont be long before the same applies here and domestic will have the liquid limit.

In Bangkok you have to leave liquids at a check point before the departure lounge and water is not available.So it can be quite a wait for a drink of water between going to the lounge and seatbelt off signs.

Den

My friend just called me and I told her that there is no problem with carring on your alcohol on domestic flights and she wouldn't believe it, as she said she got caught out on a domestic flight in Germany from Frankfurt to Hamburg

with a few bottles of Rum. They just wouldn't let her carry them on board.

I told her that Australia must have different laws as I am sure many cruisers would come up against it in Australia if there was a problem.

Will be sending her an email and possibly a photo for the carry on grog after our August cruise :D

Hi there,

Jut a warning to be careful. I am from NZ so don't don't know if it is the same in Aust. but when your domestic flight is part of an international one you still have liquid restrictions. Plently of people flying into Auckland and then take another flight on to somewhere else in NZ have had their liquids confiscated. I think it depends on if you get your bags back or if tghey are checked through.

Just a thought,

Trish

Hi there,

Jut a warning to be careful. I am from NZ so don't don't know if it is the same in Aust. but when your domestic flight is part of an international one you still have liquid restrictions. Plently of people flying into Auckland and then take another flight on to somewhere else in NZ have had their liquids confiscated. I think it depends on if you get your bags back or if tghey are checked through.

Just a thought,

Trish

Hi Trish,

You have a point about flights that are part of an international flight, but here we are talking about flights within Australia after a cruise. They are not part of an international flight. Glenda, who posted the original question, will be flying from Sydney to Brisbane.

We carried out duty free alcohol back from Sydney in March and our friends carried theirs back from the Pacific Dawn less than two weeks ago.:):)

They are not part of an international flight. Glenda, who posted the original question, will be flying from Sydney to Brisbane.

.:):)

It can still be part of an international flight. I once flew from Melbourne to Sydney but it was then going onto an international destination. It meant that, although we were flying domestically, we landed at the international terminal in Sydney. At the time (think it might still be the same), alcohol was free on international flights but had to be paid for on domestic flights. Because we were on an international flight we didn't have to pay for our grog:D

It's the transit passengers I feel sorry for. We regularly fly back from Auckland on Emirates, and the flight continues on from Brisbane to Singapore & Dubai...

When we arrive in Brisbane, all passengers have to disembark the plane, and those travellng on have to clear security again, even though they cleared security in Auckland... Any of the transit passengers who brought duty free in Auckland, will loose it in Brisbane (all hand luggage has to be taken off the plane).

There was an instance in Brisbane last year where a direct flight from LA to Sydney was diverted to Brisbane because of weather delays in Sydney. Passengers were asked to leave the plane in Brisbane, but because it meant they'd have to clear security to re-board, it meant they would lose their duty free brought in LA (in the expectation they'd be clearing customs in Sydney). In the end, the airline agreed to keep all the duty free "in bond" on the aircraft before the passengers would agree to get off.

Archived