Anyone been to Smith Cove recently?

DM

I've read a little about Smith Cove. Basically it sounds like it is close to the port (one or two miles), small beach, good snorkling, restrooms and picnic tables.

I would like to hear from someone who has visited there recently.

Thanks!

Debbie

Smith Cove used to be a delightful little hideaway although I never thought it was a good snorkeling or dive site. It's still a nice place to drop by for an early morning swim but overuse, vandalism and squatters in the nearby bushes have definitely blunted the attraction of the place as somewhere to hang out.

Last time I was there the restrooms has been trashed and the place looked like a garbage dump. There is an on-going program to tidy the place up but it's meeting with limited success IMHO.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Hi Cayman John,

Thanks for the information. It may not be what I wanted to hear, but it is what I needed to know!

I'm looking for a low-cost beach day for my family of 5. We have done the stingray thing a couple of time and want to simply do a beach day. I am trying to avoid the $10 per chair rental places to keep the cost down. (I know that I don't have to rent chairs, but if they are available, my kids will be whining.) When I read the older reviews for Smith Cove, it sounded perfect but I was wondering why there were no recent posts. Now I know why.

Thanks again!

Debbie

We were at Smith Cove September 2008. Although we did not snorkel this time, it was still as beautiful as it was 20 years ago. The beach is small and not crowded at all. This is just a nice secluded spot for getting in the water to snorkel and cool off. The area is shady and there are restrooms. No place to rent chairs but there are picnic tables and animals sculptures for the kids to hang out on. We found it to be very clean and safe.

I would recommend and it is only 1 mile or so from the pier.

Smith Cove is a publicly accessible beach which, if I recall correctly, is owned and maintained by the local Rotary Club. Since there are no commercial vendors on site to maintain the facility, you may occasionally find things a bit less than perfect. :rolleyes:

You can help keep things nice for everyone by properly disposing of all your trash before you leave. You can be extra nice and pick up a thing or two if you see litter laying about.

Having truly beautiful spots like this remain open to the public depends upon all of us treating the environment there with respect.

• 3 weeks later...
Our cruise is in one month. I guess I will continue to check for recent reviews before deciding whether to try it. Thanks to those who responded!

My Dh and I went there last feb 08. I was a great place to take photos!!!

We did this allong with A snorkel at Edens Rock. We asked where the closest beach was to "Edens Rock"? They suggested the cove. It was 1 mile from the Port/tender area. Walking to the right. The walk past Edens Rock was allong the road side with no side walks. So you need to keep an eye on traffic as you go. Make sure you have water to drink. There is no place allong the way to buy any. We take a soft sidded cooler and drinks with us. We stored extra stuff in the out door lockers at ER. Small fee.

The cove was a like a paradise. There was even a wedding for us to watch. Seemed clean and nice to us. Didnt use the bathrooms. There is no refreshments that we could see. It was not crowded. We just relaxed on our Beach towels for an hour and walked back.

You will know when you are close as you are walking there is a huge estate across the road with a very large home.

This is the first time to do any links I hope the photos come through.

ENJOY> Let us know if you went!

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/humphrey2/Grand%20Cayman/?action=view&current=shaneaprilxs.jpg

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/humphrey2/Grand%20Cayman/?action=view&current=P2130673.jpg

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/humphrey2/Grand%20Cayman/?action=view&current=sugcayman.jpg

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/humphrey2/Grand%20Cayman/?action=view&current=P2130664.jpg

Thanks for the information. It sounds like the perfect spot to take some sandwiches and drinks in a cooler and relax. I will let you know if we end up going there. Our cruise is in two weeks :)

Archived