Azamara Massages

Davidsolo

You have me perplexed. I get a massage every other week, have been for 20 years and they are mostly the same depending on the stlye you get. The cruise lines have been the same as the land based massages, swedish style mostly. I've been to several massage schools and had massages by students who were better then licensed therapists on occasion.

Davidsolo - I know what you mean. My experience on cruise ships is that they are more often "rub downs" than massages. I especially hate the Steiner concession. They really do a hard sell for products, even when you tell them you are not interested. I have a great full service spa near my home and find that I need the massage more when I get home from a trip! Just my experience......:)

While on the Journey I got a hot stone massage the first night as they were having a discount. I felt it was great and pretty much worked out the kinks. My Mom had a superior massuse and went back for a second one near the end of the cruise. I did get a microderm facial which was good, they did a hard sell and I bought one cream, which was my intention anyway. The regular pedicure gets you nothing more than a half hour polish change, you have to do the longer one to get a good massage and calous remover. Some of the specials they posted were a good deal but I didn't have time to partake as it was a port intensive trip. I felt that for what I got it was a pretty fair deal and the service providers were good. I signed up for my facial the first minute I was onboard for the second at sea day. the first at sea day was already pretty much booked up.

I've had the same experience on the ship as land based massages but i really hate the hard sell to buy products afterwards. I have tried to say no thank you to the hard sell but they keep going. I have never bought a thing, I start to get upset that they don't take NO for an answer but I keep saying no politely.

While I didn't have a massage on the Journey when I was on her, i did have 2 massages on Century in January and they were very good. I had one poolside which was great, just your back and neck for 30 minutes for $50 and you got a free product. I went back for a full hour deep tissue and I was a tad surprised that the price was something like $175. I had the same massage therapist both times and while I didn't tell her not to push products, she didn't try to sell me anything! While on this same cruise I met the Director of Hotel operations for Celebrity and mentioned it to him. He told me that they are not supposed to do the hard sell anymore. If that is true (and it was for me), I'll try another massage on my next Azamara cruise.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
While I didn't have a massage on the Journey when I was on her, i did have 2 massages on Century in January and they were very good. I had one poolside which was great, just your back and neck for 30 minutes for $50 and you got a free product. I went back for a full hour deep tissue and I was a tad surprised that the price was something like $175. I had the same massage therapist both times and while I didn't tell her not to push products, she didn't try to sell me anything! While on this same cruise I met the Director of Hotel operations for Celebrity and mentioned it to him. He told me that they are not supposed to do the hard sell anymore. If that is true (and it was for me), I'll try another massage on my next Azamara cruise.

Andy

Hope that is true.........we are taking our first Azamara cruise. No hard sell would be great......but $175 does sound a little steep....

Archived