Good news about Bermuda for moderate HCs

suebee53

Having read all the threads and websites about how unaccessible Bermuda is, I went there expecting to be quite restricted. I can walk short distances with a cane but use a travel scooter whenever possible.

What a delightful surprise awaited me!

We docked in St. George, which provided no problems in maneuvering my scooter on the streets and sidewalks (what there are of them). I was able to drive the scooter up to the doors of the stores and walk inside. (Had I been chair- or scooter-bound, however, I couldn't have gone in to some. There are steps into many places, which are so teeny tiny that one couldn't bring a mobility device of any kind into them anyway.)

We were able to drive the scooter right onto the ferries, and they have portable ramps and priority boarding and seating for us.

Hamilton was not a problem getting around either, although some of the hills are so steep I was grateful for someone to push me from behind to help the battery power!

John Smith Bay beach would have been a great, accessible beach if we had had time to do more than just drive by in a taxi tour. As it was, we took a taxi to Tobacco Bay beach where the road goes right to the sand. (Which, of course, provides its own challenges.)

I hope to be able to return to this unbelievably beautiful island, and next time there won't be any anxiety about being able to get around!

Sue

suebee53,

I really appreciate that you have posted this information! My DH uses a scooter and we have avoided Bermuda because of all of the negative posts about accessibility. It's good to know that he can use the scooter there. He can also walk a little, but not far.

Thank you very much.:D

PS Did you secure your scooter while inside the stores? I always worry about leaving it unattended.

Judy,

All I did was take the key with me every time I got off the scooter.

I still laugh remembering how I learned to do that. . . the first time I had it, I was at a conference on a college campus where there were also a number of junior-high age kids. I was sitting at a nearby table visiting with a friend when she saw one of the kids zooming around on my scooter! She ran after him, saying, "Hey! You can't have that scooter!" The kid said, "It was just sitting there--it belongs to the school!" Uhhh, no. Don't think so! :)

So I make sure no one can joyride anymore. :D

On this trip, I also learned to push the seatback down as a cover for the seat. The sun is HOT! And I wear shorts in the summer! The seatback on my everyday, heavy-duty scooter doesn't fold, so I would put a towel on it.

I'm glad I could encourage you to go to Bermuda!

Sue

Be aware that there are 2 types of ferries - one with a ramp going up -- easy - however coming down don't forget sharp turn or you are in the water. The other type is catamaran type - flat -- waiting for the right weight of passengers to make it flat! Curb cuts in Hamilton and most shops accessible -- main jewelry ones - Crisson? The Wharf - where you dock is also very "scooterable". If so inclined, the Governor's House (museum) has an incline, but is very pleasant -- goats, dolphins, history and a gorgeous house (ask for secret elevator at gate) and a terrific view. Bermuda is a wonderful place. Have fun. Vicki

Archived