ATMs in the Baltics

Is it necessary to know the currency conversion rates in each country or do the ATMs have an English component ? Thanks in advance ! :) :)

Of course you need to know the currency conversion rate. Otherwise how much would you like to withdraw:

just to enough to pay for the use of the toilet...

or

enough to spend for meal, transportation, small purchases for the rest of your cruise.

So check the conversion rates at

http://www.oanda.com

and the German word for ATM is "Geldautomat".

Subject you go to Warnemünde - the Baltics are large and did not mention which your ship is calling...

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdGeneral2-vi.jpg

2007WmdATM1F11-vi.jpg

2007WmdMarktF15-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Is it necessary to know the currency conversion rates in each country or do the ATMs have an English component ? Thanks in advance ! :) :)

Go to www.xe.com to get a rough idea of what each country that you are visiting currency is worth against the dollar. It's important to know so you don't take out too much or too little money. We used the ATMs all through our Baltic cruise for small amounts of local currency but mostly we used credit cards (Sweden we only used credit cards for the museum fees, ice cream cones, even at a stop at a 7-11 and didn't even visit an ATM). You can get a receipt from European ATMs and when you get home compare it to your bank statement.

Eileen

Thank you all for your responses. I did know we would have to know each country's conversion rate, my question was based on the panic that hit when I tried to use an ATM in London. No alphabet on the keys and couldn't remember them !!:confused: :confused: fortunately I was outside of a bank and they just handed me a sheet with a picture of the telephone pad on it with the alphabet and numbers.

So......... when working the ATM's in English.....I would enter the amount needed in the local currency,not dollars, right ? :o

Thank you all for your responses. I did know we would have to know each country's conversion rate, my question was based on the panic that hit when I tried to use an ATM in London. No alphabet on the keys and couldn't remember them !!:confused: :confused: fortunately I was outside of a bank and they just handed me a sheet with a picture of the telephone pad on it with the alphabet and numbers.

So......... when working the ATM's in English.....I would enter the amount needed in the local currency,not dollars, right ? :o

Sounds more like "Crime Stoppers" and some activities of Eastern European Gangs to get some money from your account...

Have you checked your statement since your visit of the "potential" ATM in UK... Maybe it was not an ATM... Just one to fake you...

Regards,

HeinBloed

So does his mean "fake" ATM's are found all over Europe....and "fake" banks ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: My transactions in the UK were all correct. I never heard of the possibility that an ATM, especially outside of a bank, could be illegitimate. Can you elaborate on these "gangs" ? IS his something we need to be aware of etc,etc. Thanks !

So does his mean "fake" ATM's are found all over Europe....and "fake" banks ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: My transactions in the UK were all correct. I never heard of the possibility that an ATM, especially outside of a bank, could be illegitimate. Can you elaborate on these "gangs" ? IS his something we need to be aware of etc,etc. Thanks !

Have you heared about so-called "pishers" who manipulate the keyboard of the ATMs, insert entry for cards and mini-cameras to observe the use of keyboards to check your PIN??? Making duplicates of your card and then using them for transactions abroad in Southern and Eastern European Countries where the safety standard are lower and duplicates are not properly identified by ATM???

This transaction in the UK might be correct but any withdraw of money from Budapest, Sofia or Moscow maybe appeared on your credit card bill???

Ask your bank or your credit card issuing company for more details.

A keyboard without numbers does not sound for me like a "normal" ATM standard.

Regards,

HeinBloed

"A keyboard without numbers does not sound for me like a "normal" ATM standard."

If you re-read my post you will see that I said no ALPHABET under the numerals on the keyboard of the ATM and I had difficulty because I had a passWORD and not a numbers to access my account.

If you re-read my post you will see that I said no ALPHABET under the numerals on the keyboard of the ATM and I had difficulty because I had a passWORD and not a numbers to access my account.

Then you better "translate" it to a number. That's quite common in most of the ATMs in Europe that you just have to key in numbers...

What are you doing in Russia with kyrilliic letters??? Translate before in Russian...

Regards,

HeinBloed

"That's quite common in most of the ATMs in Europe that you just have to key in numbers..."

Thanks ! That's all I needed to know....and I'll be prepared with rubles before I go to Russia :)

Archived