1st Time Cruising -- with an only child (age 7)

Cheetah474

Hi everyone,

We are going on our first cruise next month. It's a family reunion cruise, but unfortunately for a variety of reasons, my daughter (age, just turned 7) will be the only child in our group. We're on Carnival's Fantasy for 4 days out of NOLA. I know that she'll go to the kid's club for some time and she is a pretty friendly kid but I'm wondering other parents' experiences. Are most of the kids in the clubs with other friends or siblings? Last year at Disney she really enjoyed going to the kid's club at our hotel while went to dinner but I'm worried about her being lonely. I would love to hear from other parents' of younger only kids. TIA

She will be fine, honestly. My 8 and 4 year old have never been in the same kids club because they are too far apart in ages. So pretty much each one makes their own friends and spend the week with the friends in the club (and at the pool) not with the sibling.

I'll let you know about the Fantasy (we sail next week!!), but my only child was a little apprehensive about the Neverland Club at Disney, yet when we went to pick him up, he didn't want to leave. And he kept wanted to go back the next night!! (he was 4 then, but is 5 now)

Just let your daughter know about all of the fun stuff she'll be doing. My girls love Camp Carnival! They get to make jewelry, paint, have ice-cream eating contests, paint their faces like pirates and go on a treasure hunt, and now, Carnival even has "Build-A-Bear" workshop!:D And definitely let her go on the late night pajama party, it's a blast. On our last cruise the late night party was "Marti Gras" themed with beads, masks, dancing contests, and pillow fights. When I picked my girls up at midnight they fussed all the way back to the room saying the party was just getting started.

And the counselors all have a child related college degree (most are teachers) so they are really good at getting all of the kids involved in the activities and they never leave someone out. It's always large group activities where everyone plays together, no one is left by themselves. My kids were 3 and 5 and quite shy when they started cruising. To make things worse, they were almost always in separate age groups while we've cruised throughout the years.:( But the counselors have always been good about making sure everyone plays the games together and no one gets left out or ostracized.

One of my daughter's friends is an only child and she loves cruising more than anyone I know. She's been cruising since she was 6 and now she's 10. I think being an only child makes her enjoy the cruise even more than other children who have siblings because being around kids her own age is something she doesn't have at home, so she appreciates it even more. :)

They also have gameboys, computers loaded with games, large flat screen tv's with new movies to watch, and on our last cruise the kids got to make a large volcano and watch it explode. All week they were making little people, houses, animals, etc. and at the end of the week they made the volcano explode and destroy the whole "village." They thought that was gross but cool.:rolleyes:

My only child, just loved the kids activities. The first time we cruised with family, my nephew was in another age group, my son refused to go. Although, he was four at the time. However, this has changed. On our last two cruises (10/07 (6) and 6/08 (7). He loved doing it and could not get enough. He even managed to stay up to 12:30 for one of the late night parties and complained because I could not stay up any later to make it until 1:00AM. :)

I have an only child too. She's been on cruises at 23 months, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, 7, years and 8 years old. She enjoys going on cruises and hasn't had a problem meeting the other kids. Once she was one of only three kids at her age, but then that was in February.

In August, there should be plenty of kids, unless you're on a cruise that's longer than a few weeks.

This upcoming cruise will be our ds (5) first cruise as well, and he is also an only child. it's nice to hear that so many others have had positive experiences. Not that I was too worried because he is such a friendly kid and is not shy, but it's still reassuring to hear what other have to say. :) Oh, btw, we're also traveling with family and ds will be the only child in the group. :)

This will be my DD (8) first cruise my third and I don’t know what to expect or how to help her know what to expect. It is encouraging to read all the fun stuff they have for kids to do. She also is an only child and always wants some one to play with. She can be a little shy, so I am hoping she’ll have fun at AO.

:confused: Can anyone tell me if the kids get sea pass cards? How do they keep them w/o loosing them? What advice can you give me? Do they give the kids arm bands? ( I seem to remember seeing this) Do you get pagers from AO?

Thank you!

This will be my DD (8) first cruise my third and I don’t know what to expect or how to help her know what to expect. It is encouraging to read all the fun stuff they have for kids to do. She also is an only child and always wants some one to play with. She can be a little shy, so I am hoping she’ll have fun at AO.

:confused: Can anyone tell me if the kids get sea pass cards? How do they keep them w/o loosing them? What advice can you give me? Do they give the kids arm bands? ( I seem to remember seeing this) Do you get pagers from AO?

Thank you!

I have only been on Carnival and Princess (I don't remember my Celebrity cruise) but they do get sea pass cards. I know I had the choice of putting a balance on the card which can be debited, attach it to your credit card, or locking it. So far I have decided to just lock it. I did not want to take the chance of him losing it. I think next cruise (he will be 8) I may allow him to have a specific balance on it. I will see how mature he is. ;)

Archived