Dive Requirments ( Current Dives? )

Woken

I Had A Real Quick Question. It Has Been About 3 Years Since My Last Dive. I Have Both Open Water And Advanced Dive Cards Or C Card. My Question Is Will I Be Allowed To Do The Dive If The Requirments Are A Logged Dive In The Last 12 Months? If I Am Able To Dive Are There Any Good Dive Excursions In Mazatlan , Puerta Vallarta Or Cabo? I Have The Itch To Do A Dive I Miss It So Much But Have Not Had The Time Or Money To Do So In The Past. I Own My Own Regulator And Such Is It A Good Idea To Bring Any Items With Me On The Cruise?

Thanks For All Of The Help!!!

Yes, bring your own equipment, although if you haven't been diving in 3 years you had better take your regulator and maybe BCD to your local dive shop for service. I bring my reg because I know its service history and I am familiar with its operation. While you are the the dive shop ask about a refresher course. It will give you a chance to refresh your basic skills and get wet.

In order of importance for bringing my equipment are:

mask

reg

BCD

wetsuit

fins and snorkel

Use the tank and weights from the destination dive operaton.

Welcome to the Board. :D

First off, I see you live in California.... WHY aren't you diving? lol.

2nd, I would go to any of the numerous dive shops in this state and do a refresher course. Just to update you and get the "heebie jeebies" out.

3rd, I would get your regulator serviced. If it's been 3 years since you've used, DON'T! Get it serviced first.

4th, I've heard--no first hand knowledge yet-- that all 3 ports there is good diving. Maybe someone here will have more info.

5th, I always take my regulator/BC/snorkel/mask with me. I also take the wetsuit/skin, fins and such. But for sure, the regulator, BC, snorkel/mask.

Thanks Everyone. Sounds Like Good Advice For The Refresher Course. I Wanted To Take My Oldest Son To Get Certified But He Is Not Interested In Going On The Cruise Amongst Other Things. You Know How 15 Year Olds Can Be..lol

I Had A Real Quick Question. It Has Been About 3 Years Since My Last Dive. I Have Both Open Water And Advanced Dive Cards Or C Card. My Question Is Will I Be Allowed To Do The Dive If The Requirments Are A Logged Dive In The Last 12 Months? If I Am Able To Dive Are There Any Good Dive Excursions In Mazatlan , Puerta Vallarta Or Cabo? I Have The Itch To Do A Dive I Miss It So Much But Have Not Had The Time Or Money To Do So In The Past. I Own My Own Regulator And Such Is It A Good Idea To Bring Any Items With Me On The Cruise?

Thanks For All Of The Help!!!

I'd second everything cruzegirl said but would just like to add that it depends on the dive master on the ship and/or the dive operator as to whether they will call you on not having a logged dive within 12 months.

Additionally, if you are getting you equipment serviced, you should take the refresher course not only to get comfortable with being back in the water but to check out your equipment as well.

On my last cruise, our first scheduled scuba dive was in Jamaica. We booked it through the cruise ship. When I signed up for the excursion, it stated that you had to be a certified diver who has dived within the last 2 years...it had been almost 2 years EXACTLY since my last cruise so I dug out my log book...WHEW.. ..I made the 2 year requirement by 3 days! Make sure you check with whomever you book your dives through to make sure you meet their requirements. The shops I booked dives with outside the ship didn't mind that it had been 2 years since my last dive.

Hi,

Unfortunately I think it's a sad state of affairs that Caribbean dive centers aren't more dilligent about checking log books and certifications. The big joke around the Caribbean is the only card you need to dive is your c-card (credit card). I know from personal experience that almost all dive centers have never asked to see my log book (in fact on my last dive I was the only one on the boat still keeping my log book up to date), most don't even ask for my c-card, and rarely do they ask for verification of my last dive. Of course the consequence being I've saved two divers out of my last 5 dive trips (people who exceeded their dive experience). I actually got my rescue certification so I'd be better prepared to handle the situations the dive buddies I meet on my Caribbean excursions throw at me because I'd feel terrible if something happened to them due to a lack of training on my part (I take being a dive buddy very seriously).

So please practice before you go on your trip so you become a great buddy to dive with instead of a problem your buddy has to deal with while they're on vacation (nothing like paying for a boat dive and have it last 5 minutes because you had to drag someone's butt out of the drink). :p

Randall

Hi,

Unfortunately I think it's a sad state of affairs that Caribbean dive centers aren't more dilligent about checking log books and certifications. The big joke around the Caribbean is the only card you need to dive is your c-card (credit card). I know from personal experience that almost all dive centers have never asked to see my log book (in fact on my last dive I was the only one on the boat still keeping my log book up to date), most don't even ask for my c-card, and rarely do they ask for verification of my last dive.

Randall, we just had the same experience on our dive trip in St Lucia. We filled out all the paperwork but were never asked to show our dive cards or log books!

Well maybe others have different experiences....

but I got certified in 1973...and for a time when diving every other weekend with 1 week in 6 spent in the Caymans...and had a job that took me to most of the Carib's diving islands. I've racked up some bottom time & used a lot of the islands dive shops; including cruise sponsored trips cuz we cruise too.

I've never been asked to produce my log ......

but it was a cool place to collect stamps from dive shops!

True - all my exp is in the Carb' .... I spent two years on the Pacific, visited Mex coast resorts and the Galap .... the water is cold! Who needs that?

I think the most valuable info I recorded was the amount I tipped.....

I think the "when was your last dive" question only helps the staff gauge how much you might need to be looked after.

Consider this

Last Dive - 5 weeks ago, total dives 20

vs

Last dive - 26 months ago, total dives 450

Who's the larger concern?

We concur. Only us oldies seem to still be logging dives. We've never been asked for our logs except in CA. Definitely agree with Randall-- don't be the problem. Unless your div experience was extensive 3 years ago, don't go without the refresher.

I'm going to Bermuda in October and plan to dive at least two days out of the three that we will be in port. I was planning to take my mask, fins, regulator, computer, shortie and log book. I was NOT planning to take my BC because of all the space it takes. Should I reconsider that decision?

Also, because we will be in port for three days, missing the ship isn't really a concern, so I am also planning to book with a local dive shop.....so far it looks to be close to half the price. Any thoughts on this?

thanks for any advise,

dom

I'm going to Bermuda in October and plan to dive at least two days out of the three that we will be in port. I was planning to take my mask, fins, regulator, computer, shortie and log book. I was NOT planning to take my BC because of all the space it takes. Should I reconsider that decision?

Also, because we will be in port for three days, missing the ship isn't really a concern, so I am also planning to book with a local dive shop.....so far it looks to be close to half the price. Any thoughts on this?

thanks for any advise,

dom

Hi,

Dove several times in Bermuda.... Definitely you should dive with Blue Water Divers. You have two options, book a boat dive with them or go to Elbow Beach (about 2 minute taxi out of Hamilton and do shore dives with their shop there - cheaper and the far side of the shore dive is where we when on the boat dive so there's not much difference between the two). In either case, you need to book in advance and if you do the shore dive you will need a buddy or hope to pick up a buddy or rent a guide for the shore dives. Their equipment is fine and I brought everything but BC, tanks and weights. BTW, you can see some Bermuda diving at my website: http://www.randallgamby.com/bermuda-index1.html

Jealously yours,

Randall

I've never been asked to produce my log ......

but it was a cool place to collect stamps from dive shops!

I actually use my log book quite a bit. Since I travel a lot and dive in various conditions I've dove in:

Fresh water/cold water wo/current

Fresh water/cold water w/current

Fresh water/cold water lake

Fresh water/cold water river /shore

Fresh water/cold water river /boat

Fresh water/warm water

Ocean shore dive/warm water

Ocean boat dive/warm water wo/current

Ocean boat dive/warm water w/current

Ocean shore dive/cold water

Ocean boat dive/cold water

Ocean in Norway, Ireland, Spain, Maine, Florida, all over Caribbean, and So. California

I couldn't possibly remember all the configurations, dive center information, weighting, dive gear, conditions, landmarks and underwater navigation without my log book (just too old I guess :) )

Randall

Hi,

Unfortunately I think it's a sad state of affairs that Caribbean dive centers aren't more dilligent about checking log books and certifications. The big joke around the Caribbean is the only card you need to dive is your c-card (credit card). I know from personal experience that almost all dive centers have never asked to see my log book (in fact on my last dive I was the only one on the boat still keeping my log book up to date), most don't even ask for my c-card, and rarely do they ask for verification of my last dive. Of course the consequence being I've saved two divers out of my last 5 dive trips (people who exceeded their dive experience). I actually got my rescue certification so I'd be better prepared to handle the situations the dive buddies I meet on my Caribbean excursions throw at me because I'd feel terrible if something happened to them due to a lack of training on my part (I take being a dive buddy very seriously).

So please practice before you go on your trip so you become a great buddy to dive with instead of a problem your buddy has to deal with while they're on vacation (nothing like paying for a boat dive and have it last 5 minutes because you had to drag someone's butt out of the drink). :p

Randall

This post pretty much sums up why I like to dive "solo". I trust "me" much more than someone I just met on a dive boat.Most of the dive operators have allowed me to just follow the group and do my own thing.I don't mind helping new divers (we all were one once)but not on my once a year Caribbean dives when I am paying good money to enjoy them.One piece of advice I can give when choosing a buddy (if you have to) is to stay away from the "big talking" experts.Most "good" and experienced divers keep their mouth shut and pay attention to dive briefings.I will never forget the great Andrea Doria wreck diver whom I had the priviledge of getting to rescue twice while diving Bermuda--I guess he was used to those 230 foot tri-mix dives on the Doria and had forgot how to do 30-40 foot air dives!!!!!Then there was the cave diver I got teamed up with in St. Thomas.I dive the Florida springs every winter and he told me he was a member of the cave search and recovery team down there.Grim but necessary work to give families closure.Of course 15 minutes into a 50 foot dive,he was out of air.I ask him after the dive (where everyone on the boat could hear)if most folks who died in caves were found near the entrance? (many really are)I don't think this nut had the sense to know I was insulting him on his air consumption skills!

I log every dive and make notes for myself since I suffer from CRS (can't remember stuff).Every operator I have used off a ship has asked to see my C-Cards.Only one (Olympus Dive Center) has asked to see my log book.George wanted to see ocean dives, boat dives, and 100 ft dives before he would take me off shore.I really respect him for this as North Carolina ain't the place to do your first ocean dives.Any one can log dives in a book but please remember you are ultimatley responsible for yourself and the underwater world while beautiful can also be very unforgiving.

Good divers are always learning !

You do need to get your equipment serviced if you intend to use it. Otherwise rent the dive shop's equipment. I prefer to use mine since I know its service history and am familiar with how to use it. I have dived in Fiji, Micronesia, Caribbean, Atlantic and western Pacific. I have always been asked to show my C-card. On live-aboard trips, which I prefer, I have been asked if I have DAN insurance (I do). I have been asked when and where was my last dive. I have never been asked to show my dive log, which is good since I do not have one. You do need the refresher course before you go. Discovering at 60 feet down that you do not remember something like clearing the mask or safe surfacing is not good. It is like any sport, you need to practice.

Hi,

Randall

I had 18 dives in the Caribbean in the last 8 months. I've been lucky that the most people I was diving with where far more experienced than I was (think winter diving in the North Sea) but I have to concur. The vast majority of dive operators asked to see a c-card and not a log book.

I did notice that the local dive operators (i.e. they were born and lived on the island) tended to be better than hired foreigners. Whenever it was an expat they seemed much more blasé.

Most the time the local dive operators wouldn't ask for a log book but they'd chat up the divers on the way to the shop, they'd watch everyone as we geared up. I really think the dive operators trust their ability to read people more than a log book. A log book can be faked; they don't have the time to confirm all the signatures.

I've started to notice things. For example, in St. Lucia the dive operator took us to a shore dive. Before we swam over to the marine park he had us do a check out near shore. The typical clear mask, recover reg stuff. I had heard other people here complaining about how this is an insult and they'll never dive with these guys again. We all did the check out in less than 3 minutes (8 of us) and had a nice 51 minute dive. It seems like the people who complain are people who are not comfortable doing a mask clear or reg recovery. I think this is more telling then how many dives you have in a log book.

I've also noticed the more 'tech' gear and DIR talk the less skilled the diver. In Cuba my buddy had all the 'right' kit and talked about all the great diving he'd done. Two other guys didn't talk much, geared up quickly and then showed me a few things on how to set up my gear. Before we hit the water I knew these guys were good and my buddy was going to be trouble (found out the other two were Navy when we were heading back). My buddy got narc'd, dropped air and sat on the bottom of the sea. :(

Last trip south, on a few of the dives there was this woman with a Cochan dive computer, BP/wing, video equipment, a dive flag tattoo, etc. Everything about her said I'm really into diving. She was WAY over weighted. She would dump all the air out of her BCD, stand on the coral, shot some video, rapidly inflate her BCD then push off the coral. She leaped up into someone EVERY time she did this.

Bottom line, if they talk the talk they are probably trouble. If they have all the latest gear and it looks brand new they are probably trouble. If they just shut up and dive. They are probably someone you want to buddy with.

thanks for any advise,

dom

You want to find out if your reg will fit the BCD they are using. Some of the jacket inflator hoses are different. Had someone on my last dive trip who brought their own regs but used the dive operator's BCD. Their hose didn't connect to the BCD.

I usually just bring my BCD.

You want to find out if your reg will fit the BCD they are using. Some of the jacket inflator hoses are different. Had someone on my last dive trip who brought their own regs but used the dive operator's BCD. Their hose didn't connect to the BCD.

I usually just bring my BCD.

Agree but the good news is Blue Water in Bermuda had all types of BCDs and tanks so, at least with them, I didn't have any problems using my reg with their gear. :) Can't guarantee that with all shops but maybe I've been lucky so far and haven't had this problem.

r

P.S. agree with the above posters, if you boat dive, get your gear hooked up, put your extra stuff away and not under foot, and stop wherever you are in the process and listen intently to the dive briefing and don't feel silly asking questions about anything you're unclear on. If you do two dives, when you get back on the boat, switch over your gear right away while the boat's not fully loaded with divers (away from the entry point), get some food and drink and fill out that log book. You'll still have time to relax and discuss those interesting things you saw in the water. Finally, as soon as you get back from the second dive, after taking a minute to rest, break down your gear, get it back into the bags and out of the way and then relax and enjoy the trip back (a lot easier to set up and break down when you're not traveling to/from a site). I was lucky, my dive instructor was very into proper boat manners and insisted we practice them as part of our training. I know I've had more than a few boat captains thank me for being considerate and I'm sure they see enough of the guys who throw their gear all around, leave their equipment in the path of others and wait 'til the first person's in the water before gearing up.

It is a strange thing.

I have read about the last dive you have made being in x-years for just about every shop that I have dove through in the Caribbean. I have been diving on cruises for 7 of the last 8 years. An average of 3 dives per trip. I have had exactly one (1) ask me for my dive log on a trip. That was an operator in Curacao. I did not have it with me, but had made a dive the day before in Aruba and showed them the "page" I had marked up and my dive computer.... They were happy.

Doesn't mean you won't be asked, it seems that they are all on a trust your word for it method.

Archived