Tipping ... dining room - breakfast / lunch??

Peggy Sue

Are you proving your point here?;) :D

Obviously a Laugh-In fan.:)

Marc, you ignorant slut...........

:rolleyes:

-dave

Note: for those not old enough to remember the original laugh-in, Jane Curtin and Dan Acroyd did a "point-counterpoint" take-off each week. Whenever Curtin would express her opinion, Ackroyd would respond by beginning: "Jane, you ignorant slut...". So what I just did was a paraphrase. I don't think Orcrone is ignorant. :rolleyes:

OK That was another bit of sarcasm. Just in case the humor-challenged think I called Marc a slut. Got it?

We now return you to your regular discussion of dress codes.

Peggy Sue,

You don't have to justify your reasons or motivations to anyone on this board. You know why you choose to tip. I personally see nothing wrong with it, but my opinion means little, as like most else on this board it is nothing but an opinion.

You're right, the servers make very little money. If you receive good service and wish to tip them extra while eating breakfast and/or lunch in the DR, then go right ahead and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.:)

JM not so HO.;)

Marc

Marc, you ignorant slut...........

:rolleyes:

-dave

Note: for those not old enough to remember the original laugh-in, Jane Curtin and Dan Acroyd did a "point-counterpoint" take-off each week. Whenever Curtin would express her opinion, Ackroyd would respond by beginning: "Jane, you ignorant slut...". So what I just did was a paraphrase. I don't think Orcrone is ignorant. :rolleyes:

OK That was another bit of sarcasm. Just in case the humor-challenged think I called Marc a slut. Got it?

We now return you to your regular discussion of dress codes.

Dave, hate to split hairs, but that was not from Laugh-In, but from the original Saturday Night Live.

BTW, I'm not ignorant (we won't go over the other thing).;)

Sadly, I do feel rather attacked for sharing that we choose to tip in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. Maybe attacked isn't the right word, perhaps sniped out is a better fit.
Probably "sniped at" is accurate. Under the new tipping policy it is quite unlikely that the individual server at breakfast/lunch will be able to keep any tip you give him out of the global tip pool. That's probably good, as there are so many different people who help you at each of those meals. My real objection, the people I do resent, are those who (like one poster in this thread) feel the need to "...give a little extra at the start of a cruise to out room steward. I use lots of ice." This need to "seed" the tips, to me, means the person wants services above and beyond those normally provided. Since the stewards do work very hard as it is, those extra services can only come at the expense of time taken from the needs of the rest of the passengers. i.e., me. I resent this attitude and I'm embarassed for those who display it (since they obviously aren't embarassed for themselves).

I appreciate what you do, although my practice may be different. It doesn't embarass me as long as you are discreet about it.

-dave

Sadly, I do feel rather attacked for sharing that we choose to tip in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. Maybe attacked isn't the right word, perhaps sniped out is a better fit.

yes, we do tip in the Lido if we've received service from the staff on duty there.

We don't do this to "flash" money, or feel we have to "buy" good service. We do this because we WANT to do it. We are amazed at how hard these individuals work and our thank you and tip allows us to show them our heart felt appreciation.

I do not precieve myself to be a "fool" for doing this. It isn't a great sum, it brings smiles to everyones face, and the day goes on from there.

Perhaps if we traveled a great number of days throughout the year we would find this practice would start to become an expense.

As far as "embarassing" others when we tip...why would anyone think that? We typically are dining alone, our choice. If others are at the table, we just discreetly leave it next to a cup or plate..we don't discuss what we choose to do with anyone.

I've leared a great deal from this board, and I appreciate all the tips and wisdom shared so freely with everyone. Guess I'm just feeling that some of the recent comments on this post are a bit uncalled for. Perhaps I'm just too thin skinned and are taking them too personal. So, with that, I'll leave this thread and hope it will now just fall off the first page of this board.

Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue-

I know you wanted this thread to go away, I've often felt that way about a few of them too! BUT, I do not think you have anything to feel bad about. :)

I agree with Marc (Orcrone) you should continue to do what makes you happy and comfortable. DH & I also appreciate the hard working staff and we are pretty good tippers. Initially, I did not respond to your thread because we seldom (if ever) eat breakfast or lunch in the D/R. We do tip the Lido staff, especially those that help our 11-yr. old daughter with her tray and those that go out of the way to find us a seat by the window or outside.

While it's nice and enjoyable to read funny posts, I believe information is lost in the humor - I think you posted a legitimate question and were seeking legitimate feedback instead of sarcasm.

I did not feel you should be referred to as embarrassed or insecure either -

that is why I wanted to post.

Dave-

Because Orcrone disagreed with you calling the OP insecure, why should be referred to in the manner he is on this thread - even if it's just for fun. I have a pretty good sense of humor, and I am faithful fan of SNL, but really don't think that was funny. Sorry.

Usually you have me in stitches though. :)

Peggy Sue, may I add that you have every right to do whatever you wish with regard to tipping. As to where it goes, who gets it, pooled, unpooled, really makes no difference. In the end the folks you give it to know you were doing so by way of saying "thanks for the great service" and even if they have to pool it, I'll bet it makes them feel good and you've let them know that they have value in your eyes.

And isn't that really the point?:)

Dave-

Because Orcrone disagreed with you calling the OP insecure, why should be referred to in the manner he is on this thread - even if it's just for fun. I have a pretty good sense of humor, and I am faithful fan of SNL, but really don't think that was funny. Sorry.

And if I had referred to Peggy Sue as "insecure", I'd agree with you. But I didn't. Perhaps it wasn't clear, but the reference was to those who feel the need to "lay on the largesse" on the first day so that their outrageous demands might be met later - as I explained in my note to Peggy Sue.

Hopefully Marc realizes that I was attempting to "lighten" the discussion (although, I will admit, my DW doesn't always see my "humor" that way, either. :( )

So to everyone who feels I offended them or someone else (except those with the need to bribe their way thru an experience), my apologies. Life's too short to let a little misunderstanding get in the way of enjoying one's friends and acquaintences.

-dave

Many of the Lido stewards are also DR stewards, and receive a portion of the tips charged to your account. The only Lido tips we gave were to Imam (Hunky Dory) and his replacement, Shy. We simply felt that their interaction with the passengers was over and above what we would call normal service.

yes, we do tip in the Lido if we've received service from the staff on duty there. Peggy Sue

And if I had referred to Peggy Sue as "insecure", I'd agree with you. But I didn't. Perhaps it wasn't clear, but the reference was to those who feel the need to "lay on the largesse" on the first day so that their outrageous demands might be met later - as I explained in my note to Peggy Sue.

Hopefully Marc realizes that I was attempting to "lighten" the discussion (although, I will admit, my DW doesn't always see my "humor" that way, either. :( )

So to everyone who feels I offended them or someone else (except those with the need to bribe their way thru an experience), my apologies. Life's too short to let a little misunderstanding get in the way of enjoying one's friends and acquaintences.

-dave

dave-

OK - I think I may have over-reacted. It just read the wrong way for me. I do enjoy your humor most all the time!

You are right about a little misunderstanding getting in one's way... you are often my favorite poster (after Superstein) to debate or disagree with with. :D Kidding - I agree with you more times than not!

Thank you all for your kind posts.

Dave..I do feel better..thank you. I too enjoy your humor and look forward to reading your wit and wisdom.

OK..now this post can go to post heaven??

Peggy Sue

Who's sitting her with knots in her stomach waiting for the red sox's and yankees... I just keep chanting I believe, I believe... hope you all do too!!! Go Sox!!

My real objection, the people I do resent, are those who (like one poster in this thread) feel the need to "...give a little extra at the start of a cruise to out room steward. I use lots of ice." This need to "seed" the tips, to me, means the person wants services above and beyond those normally provided.

-dave

So you have never slipped money to the maitre d' at a restaurant for a choice table or an usher at the theater for a better seat?

Maybe not, but the "seeding" behavior for some might be a result of previous HAL cruise experiences ... their former "Tipping not Required" policy was taken by some people to mean "No Tipping." Under that recently removed policy, giving a steward part of his gratuity up front let him know that you weren't a part of the "No Tipping" group. I've sat at many a table on the last night where at least one couple didn't give the waiter a dime.

Archived