Tipping ... dining room - breakfast / lunch??

Peggy Sue

Tipping is always such a fun topic on these boards....

When we go to the dining room for breakfast or lunch we always leave a cash tip on the table....or, hand it directly to our server if we're lucky enough to see them when we're getting ready to leave. They are so busy!!

We've always received excellent service, and because the servers we see in the morning or afternoon are not the ones assigned to us in the evening..we feel like we should leave them something as we probably won't have an opportunity to see them again at the end of the cruise....or remember everyone!

With the new auto gratutity (which we are fine with..and will supplement for good service) if we leave a server a cash tip at breakfast or lunch..will they be able to keep it..or must it be pooled???

Thanks!

I have never heard of anyone leaving a tip for breakfast or lunch. Those waiters are also the same ones that handle the assigned tables for dinner. Their patrons would be tipping them for the week as you would as well at your dinner table.

First I've heard of anyone leaving tips at b'fast and lunch. It's not necessary. If you want to do it, fine. I don't see how they would handle these tips the same as they do the "regular" ones since they don't know who you are. Maybe they can just keep them outright without having to account. Does anyone know for sure?

One would expect under the new 'rules', they would go into the pool because, as was stated above, they do not know who you are and do not know if you have kept the automatic tipping in place on your account.

Actually, I think they would be able to keep them IF you are a bit descrete when giving them. I'm in favor of any way we can recognize personnally the good service we receive. As I've already posted I don't approve of this new policy for so many reasons, I won't repeat myself. These extra tips will improve morale.

I thought tips were included in the $10 pppd fee. Sure the waiter might not be the same waiter for dinner, but they rotate the waiters and in the end they all get their tips.

I cannot imagine anyone leaving extra tips for breakfast and lunch.

As explained by the cruise director during the ships disembarkation talk, if you leave the automatic gratuity on your shipboard account, any cash you give an employee is theirs to keep. If you remove the automatic gratuity, any cash received must go to the pool to be split. He also stated that about $3 per day goes to your cabin steward, about $3 per day goes to the dining room steward and the remainder is split with other employees.

My DW and I both worked in the hotel/restaurant industry. We tip B/L/D, room service, room steward, conceige, etc. We tip a buck or 2 pp per meal, if the service is good (more in the specialty restaurant). We hand the room steward $20 upon arrival. If we tip an extra $100-150 total for the week, so be it. If you are going to tip extra, do it during the entire week, not at the end, reap the rewards of your generosity all week long. I admit we tip above average, but I also have met people that refuse to tip and get their automatic tips taken off their shipboard account. They stated " if they don't like it they should find another line of work". If you what to tip, tip. If you don't, don't. Whatever makes you feel good inside.

My DW and I both worked in the hotel/restaurant industry. We tip B/L/D, room service, room steward, conceige, etc. We tip a buck or 2 pp per meal, if the service is good (more in the specialty restaurant). We hand the room steward $20 upon arrival. If we tip an extra $100-150 total for the week, so be it. If you are going to tip extra, do it during the entire week, not at the end, reap the rewards of your generosity all week long. I admit we tip above average, but I also have met people that refuse to tip and get their automatic tips taken off their shipboard account. They stated " if they don't like it they should find another line of work". If you what to tip, tip. If you don't, don't. Whatever makes you feel good inside.

We also tipped extra, our room steward, our dining room steward and his assistant, and the two ladies in the Neptune concierge. We felt it was worth the extra acknowledgement, they provided outstanding service to us. If we had consumed wine, we would have tipped the wine steward as well.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

We will continue to tip breakfast / lunch .. will make an effort to hand it to the staff directly and hope they will be able to keep it for themselves. We tip bar staff, room service etc. .. Guess we've always felt the breakfast and lunch servers also deserved a tip for the service they provided us.

Thanks!!

Peggy Sue

we received such wonderful service from everyone on the noordam that we were more than happy to tip employees individually. we tipped the staff in the lido, our room steward, and our dining room stewards on the sly. hopefully, they were able to keep the money for themselves. if not, at least they knew they were appreciated, and they truly were. they were very thankful whenever we tipped them, it was a pleasure to do!

So, if you feel you must tip at breakfast and embarass the other strangers at your table, who do you tip? The guy who led you to the table, the one with the coffee urn, the guy with the pastry tray, or the guy who took your order?

I see the government finally found someone to dump those $2 bills off on.

So, if you feel you must tip at breakfast and embarass the other strangers at your table, who do you tip? The guy who led you to the table, the one with the coffee urn, the guy with the pastry tray, or the guy who took your order?

Probably a duece for each, wouldn't you think?

-dave

After 14 cruises, I have never witnessed anyone leaving a tip at breakfast or lunch. I won't be embarassed by someone at my open seating table leaving a tip, but I think it's just a little over the top.

I compensate by dinner waitstaff recognizing that they also serve others at breakfast and lunch at other locations. Likewise, waitstaff from other tables serve me at other locations. I assume their dinner patrons will compensate them as well so everything comes out even in the long run. Since all the waitstaff may also get duty in the Lido, do you leave a tip in the Lido as well?

I love to watch the respect on these boards. If Stever wants to leave an extra tip, that's his perogrative. If Dakrewser and Cruzincurt feel that the auto-tip is sufficient, that's also their right.

But why do people have to refer to others as embarrassed and/or insecure because they don't do the same?:rolleyes:

But why do people have to refer to others as embarrassed and/or insecure because they don't do the same?:rolleyes:

Because everyone believes their opinion to be the truth, and all others to be variously falsehood or mythology (depending on how you view the person espousing it).

I believe everyone has the right to my opinion. :)

But I'll defend to the death your right to have a different opinion no matter how wrong-headed, scatter-brained and ridiculous an idea it is. That is, I'll respect your right to an opinion, but I won't pre-commit to respecting the opinion.

Everyone has the right to let the world see how big a fool he or she is.

And that's the truth. <phfft!> :rolleyes:

-dave

Sadly, I do feel rather attacked for sharing that we choose to tip in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. Maybe attacked isn't the right word, perhaps sniped out is a better fit.

yes, we do tip in the Lido if we've received service from the staff on duty there.

We don't do this to "flash" money, or feel we have to "buy" good service. We do this because we WANT to do it. We are amazed at how hard these individuals work and our thank you and tip allows us to show them our heart felt appreciation.

I do not precieve myself to be a "fool" for doing this. It isn't a great sum, it brings smiles to everyones face, and the day goes on from there.

Perhaps if we traveled a great number of days throughout the year we would find this practice would start to become an expense.

As far as "embarassing" others when we tip...why would anyone think that? We typically are dining alone, our choice. If others are at the table, we just discreetly leave it next to a cup or plate..we don't discuss what we choose to do with anyone.

I've leared a great deal from this board, and I appreciate all the tips and wisdom shared so freely with everyone. Guess I'm just feeling that some of the recent comments on this post are a bit uncalled for. Perhaps I'm just too thin skinned and are taking them too personal. So, with that, I'll leave this thread and hope it will now just fall off the first page of this board.

Peggy Sue

Archived