Tours on QM2 American voyage

Nikkipink

Hello

Do you have any recommendations for must do tours please for a QM2 voyage including New York, Halifax and Boston?

thank you

Nikki

Nikki

Have just come back from 18 day T/A RT and 6 day NYC, Boston, Bar Harbor and Halifax over Thanksgiving, no sorry you call it Independence Day :) :) .

NYC is great but there is so little time as traffic back to Brooklyn from City is heavy after 2pm. I would suggest a ride on Staten Island ferry (about 1 hour round trip with nice views of Lady Liberty from Starboard of vessel then a relaxed lunch at one of the myriad restaurants.

Boston is a natural walking city and the shuttle bus cost $13 RT and gives you ample time for freedom trail or some of it followed by lunch in Quincy Market. More types of food than you can name...You could go to Boston Common by cab from the ship for about $8 each way and get the driver to show you around the city.. much cheaper than Cunard tours. Team up with someone else if you like.

Halifax is beautiful but not too much to see, Titanic cemetery etc. We did the trolley ride which took in the citadel and cemetery. Trolley bus was a coach but it was hot and we needed the AC.

Have a great time, when are you going?

Boston is a wonderful walking city, and it is the best means of transportation. The Public Garden is a great place to walk around as well as Boston Common. Newbury Street is awesome for upscale shops and restaurants.

In New York, the South Street Seaport Museum is good choice for a maritime interest. There they have permanent exhibitions such as the whaling exhibit and the monarchs of the seas exhibit with ocean liner models such as the SS United States.

Many thanks for your responses and for the helpful info. We go on QM2 for 17 nights on 25 June 2009 - but I am planning ahead!

Capnpugwash - we shall be spending Independence Day in Boston for the fireworks which should be good - and by the way - I am from Yorkshire!

Nikki

Hi Nikki

We are doing the same crossing/cruise as you. Thank you for asking the question. I was wondering about this as well.

If you look on the Cunard website for the trips in New York they say they are all for QE2 passengers only so I was wondering what to do in New York myself.

Nikki

We were somewhat disappointed with QM2 on our 18 day trip. It was basically 3 x 6 day trips with the tv, main shows and menus being repeated each 6 days. They did get the smaller entertainers on for each leg but they showed Rock at the Opera and Appassionata 3 times each, or certainly one of them 3 times and I think they slotted a Judy Garland show in. Of the 2500 passengers only 250 odd stayed on for all 18 days and I don't think that Cunard cared.

Shame really. Also with the clock adjusting, Cunard adjust forward and back at night so for 5 consecutive nights you lose an hour and the cumulative effect is awfully similar to jetlag. P & O put clocks forward at noon so you only lose an hour each day which is much more palatable.

Jim

Nikki

We were somewhat disappointed with QM2 on our 18 day trip. It was basically 3 x 6 day trips with the tv, main shows and menus being repeated each 6 days. They did get the smaller entertainers on for each leg but they showed Rock at the Opera and Appassionata 3 times each, or certainly one of them 3 times and I think they slotted a Judy Garland show in. Of the 2500 passengers only 250 odd stayed on for all 18 days and I don't think that Cunard cared.

Shame really.

Jim

I agree,you have to be a bit careful about the cruises which include a transatlantic segment as they often appear like a series of mini cruises bolted together, and the programme repeats. On the Memorial weekend we got off in NYC and the ship went on a 5 day jaunt round New England. On the return TA leg we heard that it turned into a bit of a booze cruise as there were several VFW groups on board who partied very hard indeed. Personnaly I would not have had a problem with this. If you have put yourself in harm's way for your country and survived then you are entitled to let off steam once a year at least. IMHO

However, some of the returning passengers were a bit upset by it all.

Gari.

If you look on the Cunard website for the trips in New York they say they are all for QE2 passengers only so I was wondering what to do in New York myself.

Blame that one on sloppy copy-editing: just substitute "QM2" for "QE2" and you'll be fine.

Guest Anorak33
Nikki

Halifax is beautiful but not too much to see, Titanic cemetery etc. We did the trolley ride which took in the citadel and cemetery. Trolley bus was a coach but it was hot and we needed the AC.

Have a great time, when are you going?

Halifax - not much to see?

How about Pier 21 , a fascinating museum with exhibits of immigration to Canada, and the maritime museum with lots of stuff to see and an exhibition and photos of the largest manmade non nuclear expolosion in the world's history which took place in Halifax, and a little further afield the worldfamous Peggy's Cove and Lighthouse, a real gem.

Halifax - it's a lovely city to visit.

1. stroll along boardwalk

2. Maritime Museum

3. Pier 21 (where ship docks)

4. Citadel

5. Public Gardens

6. Alexander Keith Brewery tour

OK, Halifax has 2 museums, some shops, a boardwalk, a lighthouse and a pretty cove. :) I do apologize to the Halifax Tourist Board. I would like to revise my comment if I am allowed. "There is a great deal to do in Halifax and you may even need to stay an extra day". :):)

We almost never book tours and have a ball just wandering around exploring. In Halifax, however, we decided to do the Hop On, Hop Off bus and I honestly am sorry we did. We would have had every bit as much fun had we just strolled down the boarkwalk and enjoyed the waterfront activities.

We did have a bite at one of the open-air restaurants on the water and met some very intersting Halifaxians, fellow dancers, whom we tried to convince to take the 4th of July QM2 cruise in 2009.

In Boston we did take a transport bus to the market and started our exploration there, but in Bar Harbor just wandering around the village from the launch site, and taking the beach walk were just perfect activities. We also joined some locals for a rest at a table in the park and had a nice chat with them.

To sum up, other than the Boston ship-to-market-and-return bus, I would just enjoy the North East ports on foot.

Nikki

Boston is a natural walking city and the shuttle bus cost $13 RT and gives you ample time for freedom trail or some of it followed by lunch in Quincy Market. More types of food than you can name...You could go to Boston Common by cab from the ship for about $8 each way and get the driver to show you around the city.. much cheaper than Cunard tours.

How disappointing that you have to pay for the shuttle bus on Queen Mary 2. I have sailed into Boston several times onboard QE2 and never had to pay for a shuttle bus (I was on last year and it was still free then). I wonder if this is a decision which was made by Cunard management or Princess management onboard the ship. Perhaps once QE2 has gone from service Cunard will introduce a cost for shuttles wherever they are needed!

Nikki

How disappointing that you have to pay for the shuttle bus on Queen Mary 2. I have sailed into Boston several times onboard QE2 and never had to pay for a shuttle bus (I was on last year and it was still free then). I wonder if this is a decision which was made by Cunard management or Princess management onboard the ship. Perhaps once QE2 has gone from service Cunard will introduce a cost for shuttles wherever they are needed!

We live in CT and stopped in Boston on our QM2 New England cruise in 2006. We had a wonderful guided walking tour of Boston that was well worth the price. Also the shuttle bus to town that QM2 provided was no charge.

• 3 years later...

but in Bar Harbor just wandering around the village from the launch site, and taking the beach walk were just perfect activities. We also joined some locals for a rest at a table in the park and had a nice chat with them.

Rent a car and drive Arcadia, it's about the smallest National Parks in the US, and the Bass Harbor Light alone is worth the drive.

http://www.google.com/images?q=Bass+harbor+lighthouse+pictures&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&rlz=1I7RNWN_en&oi=image_result_group&sa=X

http://www.acadia.national-park.com/

Archived