Dress Code Opinions-- A Matter of Age or Geographical Location?

Are opinions of dress code a function of age of the person responding?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Are opinions of dress code a function of age of the person responding?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly
    • Don't know or don't care

Yes, it's true..those simple lessons can go miles...I had some Brazilian friends for dinner one night and the one guy who was his 50's actually stood up at the dinner table when I approached it and elbowed the guy next to him who had already begun to eat..manners make the person..I shudder to think about what the next generation is going to be like.

That story I mentioned about the mom stands out in my mind because she knew here children had to learn somewhere,and if she didn't teach them I doubt they would learn it anywhere else.

I for one am thankful that my dining skills were initiated as a young girl in an Officer's Mess on Sunday evenings. Those skills have followed me thru all my life to some of the most elaborate formal high profile dinners. I say give the child the tools, and it's up to him/her to use them. Without those tools we are floundering.

Well that's probably right five years ago which I've haven't read reviews that old just the reviews wrote in 2007 and 2008. Cruises that I've taken more than 4 years ago people did follow the dress codes but the last 3-4 years the dress code has become a lot more relaxed. From what everyone has been writing, and the amount of people on here that go crazy when someone speaks up to say blah with the formal dress code I think there is a lot of truth in what I'm saying.

I've yet to figure out which line or lines you are referring to, but the ones I've been on (all since 2004) have been pretty formal regardless of the destination. I will say that Carnival Conquest had more people at the lesser end of formal than the other three, but most met the written formal dress code. On the one Princess and the two Celebrity cruises, a vast majority were very formal, with only a smattering of people slightly under dressed.

Like I've said in my previous post;) I took the time (a lot of time) to read each and every review posted in 2007 and 2008 so far and the reviews that did mention something about the dress code at least half of them stated the dress code was very relaxed on formal nights.

I know it was mentioned here that CC accounts for only maybe 2% of the passengers but the words used to describe what they seen were most, some, over half, and etc. I can't remember all the words that were used and I certainly can't remember what ships they were on. If it's that important to you to prove me wrong please take the time to read all the reviews. And I will certainly listen when you have read all the reviews;) .

I have also been viewing the Meet and Mingle boards and discovered their are many passengers that are return vistitors to AK and some of them have even mentioned how relaxed the dress codes were.

I'm not saying that all the passengers were relaxed with the dress code because that's not what I read nor was it printed in such a way.

Lets' get back to the OP's question please before this is shut down. I truly believe that you can read and before saying it's just not true (and it could be but why would so many posters say this unless it is trully what they experienced)? So please take the time to read the reviews, I won't be going back through them because I copied all the information that I was looking for.

Oooh I see some sanitizing was in effect. Too bad, the truth was out there. Sounds like a X Files chapter. Speaking of which I wonder what their dress code will be ...... probably all black, so geographical location does depict dress??? One piece no doubt, but Scully will need spanx with her latest figure!

Oooh I see some sanitizing was in effect. Too bad, the truth was out there. :cool: Sounds like a X Files chapter. Speaking of which I wonder what their dress code will be ...... probably all black, so geographical location does depict dress??? One piece no doubt, but Scully will need spanx with her latest figure!

Hi:) I have been cruising on Celebrity for the past 5 years.

15 times in that period and #16 is next month:D

I went to Alaska in May 2006 and that is where I will be going

this time.

All I know is on formal nights I dress formally:D and I love

it.

Long dresses or long skirts with pretty tops, or occasionlly

a formal pants suit.

As far as itinerary, it doesn't matter to me, if there are

formal nights I will dress formally:) ....again, I just don't

have many (if any) opportunites to dress to the 9s here

at home so I love it on board the ship.:)

Great post! (And maybe getting back to the subject). I think it's more than age & location. I think it has a lot to do with personality as well as demographic as stated below. :)

But seriously folks, back to the OT.

I think truly that it is unquestionable that there is a huge demographic

influence on what people determine to be appropriate dress.

If that had been the original poll question, then you'd have had many more "yes, definitely" responses.

It is more than age, it is more than location, it is more than social.

It's the entire demographic makeup of the posters/cruisers.

This is something that I have studied my entire life/career - why people wear what they wear in a historical, geographic, and social context.

It's why I always try to get a sense of the real poster whenever they ask a clothing question.

It's why I always try to find out cruiseline, itinerary, and time of year before answering specific questions.

Otherwise, you just end up spouting your own personal opinion, or the experience of your own limited social circles, and specific cruise experiences. That's great in your own world.

Sociologically we tend to surround ourselves with people very similar to us.

That is why some people seem so adamant about what is "right", because that is all they really ever see.

People in general (especially on these boards) need to expand their ideas and thoughts of clothing and style, to encompass a broader range.

If you keep your mind set on only what you've seen in your life time, you are limiting yourself. If you keep your mind set on only what you've seen in your areas and travels, you are limiting yourself.

Clothing changes continually (casual, to work, to yes even "formal") based on time period, location, the social situation of the world, economics, and science (new technologies and fabrics).

It adapts and adjusts. It is only a reflection of the current needs of that particular group or society, with influence from their past history.

We as a people, just tend to put our own arbitrary "meanings" on what each specific piece of cloth means.

This is why there are things like white for brides in America, and red for brides in China.

This is why black is appropriate in some places for a funeral, and in other places it would be wrong. White is the only proper thing to wear at a funeral.

So there is no right or wrong. It's just what that society at that time worked into their arbitrary meanings.

So absolutely, the demographics are the whole enchilada.

I for one am glad for it.

Otherwise we wouldn't have the world filled with different colors, fabrics, cuts, and clothing that all carry different meanings.

It will be a sad day for the world, when everyone is wearing the same metallic space age jumpsuit.;)

All else being equal, and as a very broad generalization, I think it's more a matter of generation than anything else. People who were young adults in the 1940's tend to have a very different idea about appropriateness than people who were young adults in the 1990's. I think it almost becomes a character trait that sticks with us over time: The way my generation dressed when I was young is the best way to dress.

Of course, there are many many exceptions to this, and that's JMHO :).

Good lord isn't that the truth. That is exactly what I am reading on this thread:cool: Just because that was the way it was, does not mean it can't be different today:rolleyes:

Someone mentioned they can't stand to see middle aged people in jeans:p ............I can't help but laugh. :D

Ok.... sorry.......please continue with the insults.

I don't think it has anything to do with personality, EX: We have met people from all over the world that have so many different personalities trust me all kinds;) , they were Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses, Business People, Bankers, Investors, Blue Collar Workers, Stay At Home Moms, from NY, TX, Canada, CA, IN, OH, NM, just to name a few and I will say on formal nights some dressed to the code and some did not. I remember a couple from Canada they were 40-50ish, he was a DR. she was a stay at home mom. They were a very nice couple and we still stay in touch, they had the means to purchase the clothing but they felt like they really didn't want to go to the trouble of packing all that extra clothing. HE also stated that he wears suits every day and needed a change. They still enjoyed the formal dinners and they were both very well accepted at our table.

On another cruise there were 2 couples form NY all retired in their 60's probably and none of them dressed according to the dress code on formal nights. They ask us if we enjoyed dressing up...we answered:) ...I then thought well if they felt comfortable asking me why not? One lady replied she really wouldn't mind doing it but she was tired and had a long day, didn't feel like getting all decked out, that sounded reasonabale to me, the husbands stated that they do what the wives tell them to do..LOL....

The other lady was very nice, had that NY accent;) and acted like she thought she may have been a little better than everyone else, replied.....It is my cruise also and I will dress how ever way I chose. We did notice that she had a lot of bling on though so I figured she dressed a little for the formal night...

But seriously folks, back to the OT.

I think truly that it is unquestionable that there is a huge demographic

influence on what people determine to be appropriate dress.

If that had been the original poll question, then you'd have had many more "yes, definitely" responses.

It is more than age, it is more than location, it is more than social.

It's the entire demographic makeup of the posters/cruisers.

This is something that I have studied my entire life/career - why people wear what they wear in a historical, geographic, and social context.

It's why I always try to get a sense of the real poster whenever they ask a clothing question.

It's why I always try to find out cruiseline, itinerary, and time of year before answering specific questions.

Otherwise, you just end up spouting your own personal opinion, or the experience of your own limited social circles, and specific cruise experiences. That's great in your own world.

Sociologically we tend to surround ourselves with people very similar to us.

That is why some people seem so adamant about what is "right", because that is all they really ever see.

People in general (especially on these boards) need to expand their ideas and thoughts of clothing and style, to encompass a broader range.

If you keep your mind set on only what you've seen in your life time, you are limiting yourself. If you keep your mind set on only what you've seen in your areas and travels, you are limiting yourself.

Clothing changes continually (casual, to work, to yes even "formal") based on time period, location, the social situation of the world, economics, and science (new technologies and fabrics).

It adapts and adjusts. It is only a reflection of the current needs of that particular group or society, with influence from their past history.

We as a people, just tend to put our own arbitrary "meanings" on what each specific piece of cloth means.

This is why there are things like white for brides in America, and red for brides in China.

This is why black is appropriate in some places for a funeral, and in other places it would be wrong. White is the only proper thing to wear at a funeral.

So there is no right or wrong. It's just what that society at that time worked into their arbitrary meanings.

So absolutely, the demographics are the whole enchilada.

I for one am glad for it.

Otherwise we wouldn't have the world filled with different colors, fabrics, cuts, and clothing that all carry different meanings.

It will be a sad day for the world, when everyone is wearing the same metallic space age jumpsuit.;)

Nice post by the way..:) But I still don't agree with the demographics being the whole enchilada though. Gosh we have been around so many different kind of people form all over the world that have many different types of careers and some educated and some not. Some that were brought up in homes that had that Sunday Lunch all decked out in suits and nice dresses. We have family that live in Japan working for a Auto Industry as the General Manager making a 6 figure HIGH salary, they were brought up in New York and Indiana, both have degrees and very well educated. We have dicscussed the issue of clothing on several occasions (we both enjoy shopping) but honestly she dresses according to how she feels that night and she will dress according to the occasion and there are many times she does dress totally different from everyone else. Why? I have my theorys but we won't go there she is family after all.

The way my generation dressed when I was young is the best way to dress.

No, no, no :D I'd have to start wearing hip-hugger bellbottom jeans with flowers embroidered on them. Oh my goodness NO :D And carrying a macrame purse. The world is not ready for a large contingent of upper-middle-aged women dressed like that :D

Archived