Coral/Island Princess Mini suite/balcony question - July Alaska

Cruisin K's

Hi - I am trying to decide between an Aft AB mini-suite on Caribe deck ( C708 - C726) with a partially covered balcony, or a mid ship AA mini suite on Baja ( B416 ) with a covered bump out balcony. I checked out the website that shows photos of the balconies on the Coral Princess, and while the Baja balcony has panoramic views, it also doesn't protect you from wind. The Aft Caribe balconies seem a little larger, seem to protect you from wind, but don't have the full views. Has anyone done a north bound Alaska cruise in any of these suites, and/or, is anyone familiar enough with the ship to make a recommendation? If you have been on the Coral or Island in any of these rooms, what did you like and/or dislike? Which would you select if given the choice for a northbound Alaskan cruise? Also, does it rain a lot in July in Alaska? Is it windy when you are cruising the Glaciers? Thanks in advance! -Patricia

Hi - I am trying to decide between an Aft AB mini-suite on Caribe deck ( C708 - C726) with a partially covered balcony' date=' or a mid ship AA mini suite on Baja ( B416 ) with a covered bump out balcony. I checked out the website that shows photos of the balconies on the Coral Princess, and while the Baja balcony has panoramic views, it also doesn't protect you from wind. The Aft Caribe balconies seem a little larger, seem to protect you from wind, but don't have the full views. Has anyone done a north bound Alaska cruise in any of these suites, and/or, is anyone familiar enough with the ship to make a recommendation? If you have been on the Coral or Island in any of these rooms, what did you like and/or dislike? Which would you select if given the choice for a northbound Alaskan cruise? Also, does it rain a lot in July in Alaska? Is it windy when you are cruising the Glaciers? Thanks in advance! -Patricia[/quote']

I want to be as close to the water as possible, I go for the aft Dolphin Mini (which is covered) because it is large, and you can quickly get to the aft balcony which is open to the public (but don't tell). I've been to Alaska the last week of July and the first three weeks of August and it rained the whole time I was there. I was glad I was in a covered, protected, aft mini.

I just got back from Alaska, the last week of June and the first week in July and it rained the whole last week. They say June is the best month to avoid rain, but I would expect anything at anytime in Alaska. In Glacier Bay, it was warm and not windy at all. We watched the Glaciers in tee shirts. Hurry up, there are hardly any Glaciers left in Glacier Bay. There are no more Icebergs, and few Ice Floes.

Hopefully you'll visit College Fjords, and Columbia Glacier. I found these places to be Glacially scenic!

Amelia

The Island and Coral are my favorite ships, I've spent several months on them total in the last two years.

I want to be as close to the water as possible, I go for the aft Dolphin Mini (which is covered) because it is large, and you can quickly get to the aft balcony which is open to the public (but don't tell). I've been to Alaska the last week of July and the first three weeks of August and it rained the whole time I was there. I was glad I was in a covered, protected, aft mini.

I just got back from Alaska, the last week of June and the first week in July and it rained the whole last week. They say June is the best month to avoid rain, but I would expect anything at anytime in Alaska. In Glacier Bay, it was warm and not windy at all. We watched the Glaciers in tee shirts. Hurry up, there are hardly any Glaciers left in Glacier Bay. There are no more Icebergs, and few Ice Floes.

Hopefully you'll visit College Fjords, and Columbia Glacier. I found these places to be Glacially scenic!

Amelia

The Island and Coral are my favorite ships, I've spent several months on them total in the last two years.

Hi Amelia. Thanks! So you would pick the Dolphin Aft mini suite w/ a fully covered deck over the Caribe Aft mini suite partially covered deck?

Hi Amelia. Thanks! So you would pick the Dolphin Aft mini suite w/ a fully covered deck over the Caribe Aft mini suite partially covered deck?

Also, I should add that there will be 4 of us - 2 adults, 2 kids. On the Princess's site, the deck chart says some rooms Caribe deck will hold a 3rd & 4th person, while the Dolphin deck says only a 3rd person?

We just came back from Alaska in May and we had D706 mini full covered. Wonderful area of the ship. very quiet. Do take that room again in a heartbeat. Next April will be on the Coral again and have D708 right next door.

Marilyn

We have stayed both in A416 (a front corner bumpout) and D706 (with a fully covered balcony).

We LOVED the panoramic view the corner bumpout balcony in Alaska (northbound) as it provided superb viewing during scenic cruising in Glacier Bay, College Fjord, and throughout the inside passage. The balcony was a little windy (not terrible) on the sea day in between Vancouver and Ketchikan and in transit in the Gulf of Alaska, but we really had no need to use the balcony for any extended period of time while truly at sea.

D706, with its larger, more protected, and fully covered balcony was a great cabin for a warm weather cruise...we spent many hours reading and napping on the balcony on sea days, and loved this location. D706 is also close to the wonderful (and little used) public viewing deck and the aft end of ship...great for the panama canal, and not bad for scenery viewing in Alaska either.

I do think that A416 was an excellent cabin for Alaska...I really liked the more panoramic view for scenery and whale watching, and it was just a quick walk up to the open decks whenever I wanted an even more panoramic view. To get the same view from D706 we needed to lean over the railing a bit and turn our heads...not a big deal, but not as comfortable for extended viewing. I don't think the smaller balcony size is that big a deal, as in Alaska you are more likely to be standing or sitting upright watching, and the balcony is more than adequate for this. It is not likely that you will spend a lot of time lounging on the balcony on sea days on a cold weather cruise, but D706 was a better location for this...and again, its close proximity to the aft viewing deck is a plus.

Bottom line...I wouldn't stress out too much about cabin location, as both options are great. Hope this helps!

We have stayed both in A416 (a front corner bumpout) and D706 (with a fully covered balcony).

We LOVED the panoramic view the corner bumpout balcony in Alaska (northbound) as it provided superb viewing during scenic cruising in Glacier Bay, College Fjord, and throughout the inside passage. The balcony was a little windy (not terrible) on the sea day in between Vancouver and Ketchikan and in transit in the Gulf of Alaska, but we really had no need to use the balcony for any extended period of time while truly at sea.

D706, with its larger, more protected, and fully covered balcony was a great cabin for a warm weather cruise...we spent many hours reading and napping on the balcony on sea days, and loved this location. D706 is also close to the wonderful (and little used) public viewing deck and the aft end of ship...great for the panama canal, and not bad for scenery viewing in Alaska either.

I do think that A416 was an excellent cabin for Alaska...I really liked the more panoramic view for scenery and whale watching, and it was just a quick walk up to the open decks whenever I wanted an even more panoramic view. To get the same view from D706 we needed to lean over the railing a bit and turn our heads...not a big deal, but not as comfortable for extended viewing. I don't think the smaller balcony size is that big a deal, as in Alaska you are more likely to be standing or sitting upright watching, and the balcony is more than adequate for this. It is not likely that you will spend a lot of time lounging on the balcony on sea days on a cold weather cruise, but D706 was a better location for this...and again, its close proximity to the aft viewing deck is a plus.

Bottom line...I wouldn't stress out too much about cabin location, as both options are great. Hope this helps!

So - if you were to book another Alaska cruise, would you pick D706 over A416?

Why did you pick the Dolphin mini suit for your cruise?

I like the covered balconies better.

We have sailed the Island/Coral miny times in a reg balcony/mini/suites.

We have two next to each other and being closer aft you can just go right out those back doors fo another view. ;)

So - if you were to book another Alaska cruise' date=' would you pick D706 over A416?[/quote']My preference for Alaska is to be as close to the open decks as possible...wildlife watching in general is better from the front of the ship than the back (you can spot whales in the distance and positition yourself in the best location for a repeat sighting when/if the whale resurfaces closer to the ship...in the back of the ship, any whales you spot only allow a few seconds of viewing time and are generally not seen again); scenery viewing can be excellent from either location.

If I planned to watch exclusively from my balcony I would probably go for A416 as it has a slightly better view towards the front of the ship and it is a shorter walk to the bow or the the forward viewing decks (which is where I would probably spend most of my time). It is important to realize that most whale and bird sightings from a large cruise ship are marginal and distant, so it is not like you would be missing out on a great wildlife show if you don't book this cabin...

For the average person (who is not so fanatical about scanning for birds and wildlife) the cabin location is far less critical...and most people would probably be happier in D706, as the balcony is deeper and fully covered (allowing for better protection from drenching rain), and the aft viewing deck is one of the best places on the ship to take in the amazing scenery...

So unless you are a serious bird or wildlife enthusiast, you will be fine with either location and will probably enjoy the larger and fully covered balcony of D706 or a similarly located aft dolphin deck cabin more than you would the more exposed front corner bumpout location.

Yup! When the sun is out in Alaska, you really need sunglasses because the glare is everywhere. Then its good to have a covered balcony. When there is no sun, its either raining or going to rain! Then it is also good to have a covered balcony. Plus, you're closer to the water so you can observe more wildlife. Don't forget binoculars!

Amelia

Hey WW,

We spent 21 days in D706 on B to B panama transits! Great minds...

Say Hi to Mrs. WW, and the gang!

Amelia

Hi - I am trying to decide between an Aft AB mini-suite on Caribe deck ( C708 - C726) with a partially covered balcony' date=' or a mid ship AA mini suite on Baja ( B416 ) with a covered bump out balcony. I checked out the website that shows photos of the balconies on the Coral Princess, and while the Baja balcony has panoramic views, it also doesn't protect you from wind. The Aft Caribe balconies seem a little larger, seem to protect you from wind, but don't have the full views. Has anyone done a north bound Alaska cruise in any of these suites, and/or, is anyone familiar enough with the ship to make a recommendation? If you have been on the Coral or Island in any of these rooms, what did you like and/or dislike? Which would you select if given the choice for a northbound Alaskan cruise? Also, does it rain a lot in July in Alaska? Is it windy when you are cruising the Glaciers? Thanks in advance! -Patricia[/quote']

We had B503 and had no problem with wind. However, a terrible problem with noise from the service door directly across from the cabin. If I ever booked on that ship again I would ensure I had a cabin across from me and not a service door. Luggage loading and unloading was unbelievably awful and loud and we always heard something going on in there.

We are taking the Coral through the Panama Canal in 12/2009.

We have a mini A504.

I hope its a good cabin:D

Chairman Mallard, we had B503 on the Island last year and had a terrible problem with a service door being across from it. The noise was horrendous. I also corresponded with someone who had A503 and had the same complaint. You might want to check and verify that A504 is not directly across from this service door. The luggage loading and unloading and other constant noise was not good. I will not be booking this cabin again...

We had B503 and had no problem with wind. However, a terrible problem with noise from the service door directly across from the cabin. If I ever booked on that ship again I would ensure I had a cabin across from me and not a service door. Luggage loading and unloading was unbelievably awful and loud and we always heard something going on in there.

Hi - B503 - the bump out balcony is Aft facing, so you wouldn't have a problem with wind, but B416 - the bump out balcony is Forward facing, so I would imagine that there would be wind when the ship is cruising the glaciers. That's why I am thinking of switching to an Aft room on either Dolphin or Caribe.

Hey WW,

We spent 21 days in D706 on B to B panama transits! Great minds...

Say Hi to Mrs. WW, and the gang!

Amelia

Hi Amelia...we were watching the videos of "our" valdez whale yesterday, and Mrs WW was telling everyone how wonderful it was to share the experience with such enthusiastic people...made the whole thing even more magical.

Hi - B503 - the bump out balcony is Aft facing' date=' so you wouldn't have a problem with wind, but B416 - the bump out balcony is Forward facing, so I would imagine that there would be wind when the ship is cruising the glaciers. That's why I am thinking of switching to an Aft room on either Dolphin or Caribe.[/quote']the wind is (usually) not an issue during glacier cruising, as the ship is moving very slowly. It can be an issue when the ship is moving more quickly, such as in the Gulf of Alaska...especially if there is a headwind. Personally, I would opt for a covered dolphin deck mini over and aft corner bumpout balcony.

Hi Amelia...we were watching the videos of "our" valdez whale yesterday, and Mrs WW was telling everyone how wonderful it was to share the experience with such enthusiastic people...made the whole thing even more magical.

the wind is (usually) not an issue during glacier cruising, as the ship is moving very slowly. It can be an issue when the ship is moving more quickly, such as in the Gulf of Alaska...especially if there is a headwind. Personally, I would opt for a covered dolphin deck mini over and aft corner bumpout balcony.

One more question - What about a partially covered Caribe balcony? Would you prefer a fully covered Dolphin over a partially covered Caribe?

Chairman Mallard, we had B503 on the Island last year and had a terrible problem with a service door being across from it. The noise was horrendous. I also corresponded with someone who had A503 and had the same complaint. You might want to check and verify that A504 is not directly across from this service door. The luggage loading and unloading and other constant noise was not good. I will not be booking this cabin again...

Is it just the last night when all the luggage is loaded and unloaded? Or do they use it constantly for other things as well.

I'm personally not as worried about the possible noise, because my brother snores, so I am usually wearing ear plugs at night:D

I was more curious as whether the location is good, I have heard that the balconies on this room are smaller, but have a great view, but I don't really know much about it for sure.

One more question - What about a partially covered Caribe balcony? Would you prefer a fully covered Dolphin over a partially covered Caribe?

In general, I am a big fan of fully covered balconies, as I like protection from rain and sun...but partially covered balconies would be better than fully exposed, IMHO. We really enjoyed the Dolphin deck location on our Panama Canal cruise, other than the long walk to the buffet (probably a very good thing) and the forward viewing areas.

Is it just the last night when all the luggage is loaded and unloaded? Or do they use it constantly for other things as well.

I'm personally not as worried about the possible noise, because my brother snores, so I am usually wearing ear plugs at night:D

I was more curious as whether the location is good, I have heard that the balconies on this room are smaller, but have a great view, but I don't really know much about it for sure.

The first and last night are the worst, especially the last (miserable in fact). But the good news is the location is excellent. I wear ear plugs every night as my hubby snores - they did not even make a dent in the noise in the hall. The first and last nights were the worst and in between was not great but manageable. Had I known in advance I would never have booked this cabin location or not.

The first and last night are the worst, especially the last (miserable in fact). But the good news is the location is excellent. I wear ear plugs every night as my hubby snores - they did not even make a dent in the noise in the hall. The first and last nights were the worst and in between was not great but manageable. Had I known in advance I would never have booked this cabin location or not.

Oh well, guess we will just try and make the best of it.

Thanks for the info though

Archived