A Better Camera?

Robin7

My husband went to the camera repair shop tonight. :eek:

Two hours later, he's been seduced by a Canon 30D being sold on consignment. We have a Canon Digital Rebel 300D. We're unhappy with the speed of the processor on the Rebel, as well as the artifacting that is sometimes apparent in low light or shadows and the finicky auto-focus.

The 30D is supposed to be a more professional line, and the camera shop guy says it has a much better and faster processor. (My DH took it outside and snapped off 20 shots in a row and the camera kept up. The Rebel can only do three or four.)

It's heavier so supposedly more rugged. It's got eight versus six megapixels, and I don't see the need for more than eight really. (I'm not enlarging my photos to poster size!)

We could get it for $950 including an 18-55mm f2.8 lens. (We already own a 28-135mm, f3.5-5.6 IS Canon lens.)

Any pros or cons to this trade? Any opinions? Any reason we should think about going to the 40D?

Thanks!

Robin

Brand new 40D without lens and free shipping from Amazon...$899

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-10-1MP-Digital-Body/dp/B000V5P90K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216184508&sr=8-1

The 40D is considerably more camera than the Rebel.

The 18-55 lens goes for about $75 used on eBay. Your lens is quite a bit better.

Dave

Agree with getting the 40D. Earlier this year, I was half thinking of selling my 30D on eBay and getting the the 40D. Then I saw mint condition 30D bodies were only fetching about US$500 on eBay. :confused: I changed my plans.

I would love to see the local camera store succeed, but their overhead, and therefore their prices, are just too high. They offer less in trade than you can sell for on eBay, and the charge more for used than you can buy it on eBay. And, the differences are significant.

If you want to stick with the 30d, and don't want to wade into eBay, I'd suggest checking out keh.com . Big used camera dealer. They have a 30d in excellent condition for about $600 for the body. They have a 14 day return policy.

I don't think either one of us was awake last night! We completely forgot about amazon. :D

In what way is the 30D (or probably the 40D) 'considerably more camera'? My husband is the techie-photog and the one who likes to mess about with the camera when shooting. I'm more the photo journalist--who, what, when, where, why. Get in, get the shot, and get out. (That comes from having seven children. :) )

I'm a little concerned he might buy a camera that is too difficult for me to use. Although, I started out 26 years ago with a Pentax K1000, so I guess I can try and get my 'skills' back. And I can always grab our Elph for the quick shots.

I'm leaning toward the 40D. Bigger LCD display. Faster processor.

I shoot a lot of kids' sports (sons in baseball, swimming, soccer, football; nephew in rodeo). It's sooooooooo aggravating to only be able to shoot 3 or 4 times and have to wait for the images to be written to the card. In the case of my cowboy-nephew, I have missed the end result sooooooooooo many times because I took too many shots before he got the steer tied. Argh! (Thought I'd share my favorite one from last month.)

Thanks for the info!

IMG_2091-1.jpg

I don't think either one of us was awake last night! We completely forgot about amazon. :D

In what way is the 30D (or probably the 40D) 'considerably more camera'? My husband is the techie-photog and the one who likes to mess about with the camera when shooting. I'm more the photo journalist--who, what, when, where, why. Get in, get the shot, and get out. (That comes from having seven children. :) )

I'm a little concerned he might buy a camera that is too difficult for me to use. Although, I started out 26 years ago with a Pentax K1000, so I guess I can try and get my 'skills' back. And I can always grab our Elph for the quick shots.

I shoot a lot of kids' sports (sons in baseball, swimming, soccer, football; nephew in rodeo). It's sooooooooo aggravating to only be able to shoot 3 or 4 times and have to wait for the images to be written to the card. In the case of my cowboy-nephew, I have missed the end result sooooooooooo many times because I took too many shots before he got the steer tied. Argh! (Thought I'd share my favorite one from last month.)

Thanks for the info!

You already mentioned the LCD processor and frame rate (burst shooting speed). In addition, the 30D/40D have a more robust build and better controls (ergonomics). There is also has less shutter lag (that pause between pushing the button and the camera firing off)... actually almost none. Autofocus is faster and more precise too.

As with all new DSLRs, the 40D will take great photos on pure Auto mode, so don't worry about the learning curve. You can take your time re-learning the details and still get good photos along the "path to enlightenment"!

Your nephew must be insane! Doesn't he know not to play with his food?:D

BTW...here's my nephew:

large.jpg

Happy shooting!

Dave

Your nephew must be insane! Doesn't he know not to play with his food?:D

Your nephew does rough stock, and you call mine INSANE? :D How can you watch, let alone shoot???? I feel bad for those cowboys. They get up off the ground and walk like 80-year-old men. :)

Seriously, I have had to close my eyes so many times during the broncs and bulls. I've told my sister over and over again how grateful I am that they don't allow my nephew to do the rough stock. If he did, I don't think I'd be able to go. TOO SCARY.

GREAT shot, though! I took some shots of the bull riding last month, but I was too far away (those dang safety rules), and we don't have a long lens--yet.

Robin

I doubt that my comments will help the debate. My 30D has a good enough burst rate to catch diving kids, and I think it is a great camera. I don't even use half of its features. That being said, I am the kind of person who wants things bigger, faster and better, so I would go for the 40D.

I am also concerned that since the 30D is an orphan that there may be support and repair issues.

My $.03

willowpool.jpg

Yes, the internet always has better deals, just make sure it has a USA Warranty before you purchase.

I know you're a Canon family as I'm a Nikon guy. Both are terrific cameras and both have their advantages and disadvantages. I believe one huge advantage that Nikon had for me was the user friendliness of the camera to the Canon.

Also, the lens is by far more important than the Camera. Your better off getting a more expensive lens and less expensive camera then vice versa.

Anyway, hope that helped and enjoy the new 40D if you go that way. It is a very good camera.

I'm an avid photographer by hobby, however occasionally work for photographers shooting Digital Green Screen Photo Booths. It's a fun job.

I am a newb when it comes to cruising as my first will be on Legend on Nov. 23. I have a question concerning Nikon if anyone can help me. I have a N-65 and am looking at a digital SLR to upgrade to. I have 5 different lenses for the 35mm and want to know if any will interchange with the D-80? They are all AF-S lenses.

Thanks in advance.

I am a newb when it comes to cruising as my first will be on Legend on Nov. 23. I have a question concerning Nikon if anyone can help me. I have a N-65 and am looking at a digital SLR to upgrade to. I have 5 different lenses for the 35mm and want to know if any will interchange with the D-80? They are all AF-S lenses.

Thanks in advance.

No problem with the D80 since it retains the in-body screw-drive focusing motor. They will work fine

The D40, D40x and the new D60 have eliminated the screw-drive and will not autofocus with older lenses.

Dave

I have 5 different lenses for the 35mm and want to know if any will interchange with the D-80?

You problem know this already, but with 1.5x cropped sensor on the D80, you'll probably be a bit light on the wide angle end. So you'll probably still want some new glass. I first went to digital with a D70. I still used the 80-200mm, but the 28-80mm and 20mm didn't see much use. Ended up getting an 18-70mm. Enjoy your first cruise!

Archived