Portable car seat???

gkrnjlr

we have the graco snug n ride and they go up to 35 pounds

Sorry to say, the Graco Snugride only goes to 20 or 22lbs. The Graco Safeseat goes to 30lbs (not 35lbs). There should be labels on the seat that state the weight limits. I'm a regular on a car safety forum and I've never heard of an infant (aka "bucket" or "travel system") seat that goes past 30lbs so I just feel obligated to point this out. Please check your labeling and car seat manuals. Many "convertible" seats (ones that are somewhat "permanently" installed in vehicles that go rear facing and fwd facing) DO have rear facing limits of 35lbs though.

OP, I wouldn't recommend the Joey-safe or the EB travel seat because they are ffing only and only children over 1yr&20lbs should ride ffing. And in reality, the latest research is showing the older the child is when you flip them ffing in the car, the better (Swedes keep their kids r/fing until 4yrs old and they have practically 0% death rate for kids in that age group due to vehicular accidents). Anyway... 1 yr AND 20lbs is a minimum. And studying the way those two products are used, I am having a hard time understanding how they passed NHTSA test standards, but that is for another forum. ;)

The Radian someone mentioned is a great seat. It's pretty heavy. It does fold for storing and when traveling. I don't have one, but I've read lots of great things, except one downside is it's a tall seat so it doesn't fit well r/fing in very small cars (and in airplanes) because you can't adjust the recline angle. The pluses are that it has very tall top slots, it has an 8yr lifespan (most are 6yrs), it works great ffing on planes (sits low, so the tray table can be used). Overall, it's a wonderful car seat that most kids will fit in until they're about 5-6yrs old (a great age for moving up to a booster seat).

We used the precursor to the Scenera 5pt for travel (Ds is 5, back then, it was called a Touriva). Great seat for travel. Very basic but light weight and easy to hold on to and carry. Very easy installs on the airplane. Lack of padding never seemed to bother ds in the least. One down side was that it always required a pool noodle or two when installing it r/fing to get the correct angle. Otherwise...I was sad when ds outgrew it because it was a nice little (inexpensive) travel seat. :)

just some food for thought. hth!

Sorry to say, the Graco Snugride only goes to 20 or 22lbs. The Graco Safeseat goes to 30lbs (not 35lbs).

Sorry I was wrong...we do have the safeseat....it came with the stroller

here is the link to the travel system we have and you are right up to 30 pounds...I think I was thinking differently because of the rear facing up to 35 pounds deal.... since our sone is 14 months and we still have him rear facing for safety but he is mainly in a convertible carseat now...we only have the safeseat in my husbands car as a backup

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2400922

I hadn't thought of bringing it to the dining room. We sound like snobs - but I wonder if we'd be able to get our own table. Where do you put the carrier at dinner?

Thanks!

First of all, you don't sound like "snobs". It is perfectly understandable that when dining with children you would want your own table. We have been lucky enough to get our own table on every cruise. It has always been just us, or just us and the family we traveled with. So put a request in.

As far as where to put the infant carrier, I just sat it on the chair and pulled the chair snug against the table. Of course I took special care to make sure I always had a hand on it just in case someone bumped into us.

My mind is shot this morning so I can't remember which cruiseline you are on...but on some Carnival ships they actually have booths in the dining room. The infant carriers fit nicely in the booths. :)

Kristen - THANK YOU! I will bookmark it in case anyone asks.

yep we had a booth on the carnival sensation and it came in handy one night when our son was asleep...he was able to sleep on one side of the booth while the 3 adults were able to eat.

We were honored for our own table request on the sensation...but not the last time...even though we were first in line at the maitre d...so I guess its trial and error

I did look at both of ours and they are both 5-22 pounds and one is up to 26" height and the other is 29" height. (For us that's important because daddy is 6'4" and she's definitely got the height genes!)

As for the dining room....it IS Carnival that we're going on. I've seen the booths before. When do we go request a table for ourselves? Shortly after we get on the ship? Or on our first night at dinner?

Thanks!

I did look at both of ours and they are both 5-22 pounds and one is up to 26" height and the other is 29" height. (For us that's important because daddy is 6'4" and she's definitely got the height genes!)

As for the dining room....it IS Carnival that we're going on. I've seen the booths before. When do we go request a table for ourselves? Shortly after we get on the ship? Or on our first night at dinner?

Thanks!

Try to put a request in before you leave. Did you book using a TA? Have the TA put the request in. If you booked directly then called Carnival and ask that the request be added to your reservation. And once onboard, you can go visit the MaitreD but as the above post points out, sometimes that's hit and miss too.

We booked directly through Carnival and DID ask for a table for just us but were told that they don't take requests like that.

Hopefully we'll be alone OR can get a table for just us with a simple request. If not....we've been fortunate enough to have great table mates before. I would really prefer "just us" though.

I think they start taking requests either at 1pm or 2pm.... both times we were first in line... you can have one of your guest members wait in line and take turns if you really want to make sure to get a good table... I think we got in line about 20 mins before they started taking requests.

I would also check to make sure you have the right time ...since you have a little one. The first time we took our son, they had us at a late seating...so we had to make sure they changed that.

That's exactly the first thing I check when we're given our S&S cards before getting on the ship!

Is the dining room open to just look at when we first get on the ship? Not to eat, but mainly to see where our table is and how many it seats?

Archived