Newbie question re passports

taralu7

Leaving on Dec. 27th from New Orleans on a 5 day cruise to the western carribean. we'll be returning thru New Orleans also. 4 adults, 1 teen, 2 kids and a toddler.

My travel agent insists that we don't need passports so long as we're leaving in and out of New Orleans via the cruiseline. Does this sound correct to you guys? I've read some of the info on the gov't website but it's a little confusing to me.

thanks!

No Passport necessary for US citizens departing/arriving from the same cruiseport. Currently, all necessary is DL and state-issued copy of BC. That will change in 2009. Should you have to fly back prior to the end of your cruise for whatever reason...you'll need a Passport.

No officially you do not need a passport for cruise travel. Make sure your birth certificates are the offical state issued certificates though, the hospital ones won't work.

If something happens and you have to fly back you would need to find the US embassy where ever you were and then they'd help you get the passports needed and the flight home. You would have to pay for it all though.

Either way, passport or not, you'd have to pay your way back home. I prefer to have passports for all of us just so we wouldn't have to go thru all the waiting and stress. We could book our own way home if needed. But it's definitely not required.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived