Christmas Cruise with kids

sunandseagirl617

Hi Parents-

We are seriously thinking about a cruise for the holidays. Okay, the real story is my in laws and parents are going to other siblings this holiday season (must be my cooking:eek: ) Here are my questions....

My teen has outgrown Santa's magic! However, my 8 yo DD still believes....

1. Do you bring a small tree onboard?

2. Do the cruise lines offer religious services?

3. What other traditional things have you done with your family on the high seas?

4. Do you think Thanksgiving will be a better option? Why?

We have sailed before or after...but never on the day....

Just being together will serve as our typical family traditions, however, I am looking at bringing home on board... What do you think? Any help, opinions, experiences would be greatly appreciated, as always!!!

Hi Parents-

We are seriously thinking about a cruise for the holidays. Okay, the real story is my in laws and parents are going to other siblings this holiday season (must be my cooking:eek: ) Here are my questions....

My teen has outgrown Santa's magic! However, my 8 yo DD still believes....

1. Do you bring a small tree onboard?

2. Do the cruise lines offer religious services?

3. What other traditional things have you done with your family on the high seas?

We have sailed before or after...but never on the day....

Just being together will serve as our typical family traditions, however, I am looking at bringing home on board... What do you think? Any help, opinions, experiences would be greatly appreciated, as always!!!

We were on a holiday cruise on Princess a couple of years ago that covered three holidays: Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years.

There were services onboard with retired clergy (priest, reverend and rabbi -- no joke, but the start of a classic one;) ). The ship was decorated to the hilt (taken down around 12/26). We brought some miniature ornaments and placed them around the cabin, as well as tape up a foam menorah.

There was a party for the kids with a "santa." And holiday oriented arts and crafts for the kids.

A Christmas cruise sounds like heaven:D No cooking, cleaning less wrapping, look kids santa brought us tickets for a cruise ship and he mailed them to us early. No batteries, toys that don't work or take up an entire room of our house. Not having to deal with both of our crazy feuding families(my sister v. sister and DH brother v.sister), priceless.

I would bring one of those dollar store trees with tiny ornaments for the room. I would also decorate the house as if we were there. Christmas is a season not a day!

Sounds like a great idea to me.

We were actually at Grandma's in Florida post cruise a couple years ago for Christmas. We gave the kids a few small things that they could pack/use on the plane ride home like CD's, DVD's and Game Boy Games. When we got home they found that Santa had been there while we were gone (I put the gifts under the tree really quick right before we left after they got in the car). It was a nice surprise for them after the let down of coming home.

Thank you for the replies...I love the rabbi, cheif, and reverend ...ha ha ha..Of course, yes, it would be a Princess cruise....they sent the holiday sailing coupon yesterday!

Also loved the suggestions of decorations...I know this will be different and most definite its not about the day but the celebration...You all have great and humorous suggestions...of course I love..Went to goodwill today and wouldn't you know they had an umbrella Christmas Tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well you have to look for this stuff early, you know? ...

Thank you so much....love the CC parents...!

We sailed Thanksgiving last year, and though we had fun, I wouldn't do it again:

The weather was chilly on our first and last day (well, comfortable enough for shorts, but too cold to use the pool -- my daughter was the only one in the pool, and her teeth were chattering); the weather once we reached the Caribbean was ideal.

The ship was very crowded (probably because so many kids were traveling, and rooms that other times sail with two passengers were sailing with three or four). We weren't even seated in the main dining room; we were assinged to a "side room", which felt much like sitting at the kids' table -- that's why we intend to use My Time Dining in the future; I wouldn't whine about a bad seat for one night, but for a week . . .

The price was high.

Don't get me wrong: We had fun, but given the choice, I'd make a different choice for next time. I don't think you'll find my family onboard during any holiday in the future.

We cruised to Hawaii over Christmas and New Years last year on Princess and it was such an amazing experience we are doing again this year. We loved everything about it. The ship was decorated beautifully and they had "snow" falling in the atrium in the evening. There were many special Christmas programs and activities and the mood among the crew and fellow passengers was special. It was just really festive, like a big family.

We decorated our cabin with a small tree. It was so great to turn off all the lights and just have our pretty little tree glowing at night. We also hung a wreath on the door and hung up our stockings. Santa visited on Christmas day and each child had a visit and got a nice gift.

It was one of the most fun and relaxing Christmases I have enjoyed in years!

I am booked with a group for Christmas this year with my three girls. Yes, "Santa" is bringing our presents (tickets) early. The ones in the group are planning door decorations from the dollar store and maybe a small tree with lights for the room. I can't wait. My girls are so very anxious about it all.

I am already considering Thanksgiving or Christmas for next year. I am going to book one or the other very soon to be sure I get what I want.

Archived