Pick up rental car in Fort Lauderdale and drop off in Miami

I will like to know if anyone has use priceline and pick up a rental in Fort Lauderdale (airport) and dropping it off at a location near the Port of Miami. If so, how easy/difficult it is, and are there any extra fees involved?

Thanks in advance.

Hi William,

We got off our ship around 9 a.m and took the free shuttle to the FLL airport/car rental companies. After picking up our car we drove to Miami (our flight left from Miami not Fort Lauderdale). It was no problem. There was no extra drop off fee for doing this. HOWEVER, we booked with National car rental-- I am not sure who you are booking on through price-line. So, yes in answer to your question it can be done just fine.

Karen

I will like to know if anyone has use priceline and pick up a rental in Fort Lauderdale (airport) and dropping it off at a location near the Port of Miami. If so, how easy/difficult it is, and are there any extra fees involved?

Thanks in advance.

Hi I live in Miami and to be honest if you just want to get to and from it's not worth renting a car unless your coming with a lot of people...your better off taking a taxi or shuttle to the port. It's about 25 miles away and most of the car rental places charge you extra for dropping off in a different location.

We did this for a Bahamas cruise a couple of years ago. It was easy and inexpensive--we used one rental agency in each directions (Entertainment Book coupons). No hassles, somewhere to stash the luggage while we looked around, it was great.

Yes We have done this too! Off the ship at about 9:30. Couldn't find the shuttle and took a taxi to the Car hire centre at FLL. Picked up a car and had a nice day visiting Miami and South Beach and dropped off the car at MIA for our overnight flight back to the UK. The only problem we had was that my credit card was charged in £ even though I pointed out that I wanted to be charged in US$. However for one day it was such a small hire charge anyway it didn't really matter.

We got off our ship around 9 a.m and took the free shuttle to the FLL airport/car rental companies.

Is this provided by the car rental facility at the airport? Where is it located? (I'm scouting information for my in-laws:p ) We get in to FLL in October but we're just taking a cab to the airport. My in-laws get in a month later but they will have flown their own plane somewhere in Florida (likely Ft. Myers) and rented a car to drive over to FLL--they'll need to pick up another car in FLL to get back to the west coast.....

PS I was looking at one-way rentals (obv :-) and for Alamo, at least, there wasn't a difference between a one-way rental dropping off in FLL or a same location rental. But I know when we did a one-way rental in Alaska last year, there was a large fee. Supply & demand I guess--in Florida, it's relatively easy to move the cars around where they need to be. In Alaska, not so much.....

Just as a note, we too rented a car to get from FLL to Miami. The online bookings through places like Priceline won't allow a pickup from one location to drop off at another. I called Dollar directly and got what I needed. It is @$40 cheaper then a taxi (runs about $80) and cheaper then a shuttle (varied from $10 to $50 cheaper) and the flexibility will be well worth it since we're arriving a day earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Fort Lauderdale and whenever we cruise out of Miami (or fly out for that matter) we do this. I have found that the cheapest deals in Florida are usually with Dollar or Thrifty. Check out http://www.rentalcodes.com and you can usually find good deals using codes good only for Florida. Most companies do not charge a one-way fee from FLL to MIA or vice versa. But, as one poster noted, you cannot rent one-ways through Priceline, etc.

Deb

Archived