Gatwick Airport to Victoria Station

I have taken the Gatwick Express in the past. However I've read that there is alternative transportation to Victoria Station from LGW via First Capital Trains & Southern Trains. Where would you catch the First Capital and Southern trains ? Same station, didfferent platform? As I have never paid attention to this in the past. Is the transit time 15 minutes longer? Is there a savings on a round trip fare? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you:confused:

However I've read that there is alternative transportation to Victoria Station from LGW via First Capital Trains & Southern Trains. Where would you catch the First Capital and Southern trains ? Same station, didfferent platform?
Same station, same platforms. Look for the indicator boards to tell you where your train will depart from.

Southern Railway goes to Victoria. It can take about 10-15 minutes more, but is significantly cheaper (at least in percentage terms). However, the trains do not originate at Gatwick, so it is often a scramble to get on. (In contrast, the Gatwick Express sits at the platform for many minutes before going back to London.) And unlike the Gatwick Express, the trains are commuter trains, not designed for lots of luggage.

First Capital Connect trains do not go to Victoria. Usually, they stop at East Croydon, then London Bridge, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon, Kings Cross Thameslink and then continue north towards Bedford. (Some trains are different, particularly during peak hours.) This is useful if you want to go to that end of town. FCC is not really much cheaper than the Gatwick Express, and like Southern Railways, is commuter rolling stock.

Same station, same platforms. Look for the indicator boards to tell you where your train will depart from.

Southern Railway goes to Victoria. It can take about 10-15 minutes more, but is significantly cheaper (at least in percentage terms). However, the trains do not originate at Gatwick, so it is often a scramble to get on. (In contrast, the Gatwick Express sits at the platform for many minutes before going back to London.) And unlike the Gatwick Express, the trains are commuter trains, not designed for lots of luggage.

Thank you for your response. Luggage will not be an issue, as we will be staying around Gatwick for a couple days, and just trying save some $$$ transiting into London and back.

Can I assume that you purchase tickets at the same area you buy the Gatwick Express tickets from, and can you buy a day pass for the Tube @ the same time?

Thank you

Can I assume that you purchase tickets at the same area you buy the Gatwick Express tickets from, and can you buy a day pass for the Tube @ the same time?
It's the same ticket office, yes.

I'm not sure about buying a one-day Travelcard as well, although I should think it's likely that you can. If you are just sightseeing for the day, you might want to ask whether it would be cheaper for you to buy a one-day Travelcard and then a train ticket only to the edge of the zone for which the Travelcard is valid - the Travelcard will then cover the remainder of your journey. If you do this, I actually don't know whether it'll be cheaper to buy a "bigger" Travelcard (eg Zones 1-6) with the train ticket from Gatwick to edge of Z6, or a "smaller" Travelcard (Zones 1-2) with the train ticket taking you all the way to the edge of Z2.

Make sure that the ticket office knows that you want to go on Southern rather than the Gatwick Express.

If you are just sightseeing for the day, you might want to ask whether it would be cheaper for you to buy a one-day Travelcard and then a train ticket only to the edge of the zone for which the Travelcard is valid - the Travelcard will then cover the remainder of your journey. If you do this, I actually don't know whether it'll be cheaper to buy a "bigger" Travelcard (eg Zones 1-6) with the train ticket from Gatwick to edge of Z6, or a "smaller" Travelcard (Zones 1-2) with the train ticket taking you all the way to the edge of Z2.

Make sure that the ticket office knows that you want to go on Southern rather than the Gatwick Express.

I will do a little homework, and keep that in mind, when asking about the difference in prices.

Thank you again, you have been very helpful !

Archived