Booze

txflyt

This person wishes to enjoy a beverage of his choice in the privacy of his room at a reasonable price. Yes, HAL has made a rule designed to maximize their profits. They also encourage me to attend their art auctions, buy their duty-free jewelry, patronize only their selected shore excursions, and play their Bingo.

One of the main issues I have with the drinks on ship... is that they are watered down!! At least they are on Princess and Celebrity.

I used to work in a night club and know all the tricks. I've watched the bar tenders pour... and I can tell you... that unless you ask for your shot on the side, you are not getting a full ounce! I feel for the price they get for a drink, they should at least give you what you pay for!

Now... since I no longer drink "hard stuff", it's not a big deal... I'd rather take a few bottles of nice wine... and enjoy the cruise.

I'll stop bringing my personal liquor on board. I am sure all the flamers follow every rule and law out there. Never exceed the speed limit, come to a full stop at the stop signs, wear a tux at formal dinners and never save a chair by the pool. Let's see. Who said something about casting stones?

I'm brand spankin' new to cruising, and I have The age-old question: Is there a :) preferred :) way to sneak booze onto the ship in checked luggage?

If you are "brand spankin' new" to cruising, I am amazed that you know what the "age-old question" among cruisers is.

If you've discovered this "age-old question" from your reading, here and elsewhere, then you would have stumbled onto the answer to your question.

And your research also would have told you that smuggling alcohol onto the ship is a hot-button item on CC.

If it looks like a dog and barks like a dog ...

I'll stop bringing my personal liquor on board. I am sure all the flamers follow every rule and law out there. Never exceed the speed limit, come to a full stop at the stop signs, wear a tux at formal dinners and never save a chair by the pool. Let's see. Who said something about casting stones?

Actually, I have not exceeded the speed limit, I do come to a full stop at stop signs, I do wear the appropriate formal wear,and I have never saved a chair anywhere for anyone. Any other questions?? :p

If you can afford to cruise on HAL then you can afford to follow the rules they set down. You can bring all the wine and soda you want without consequences.

Rule breakers always make things harder for those who understand the meaning of adulthood.

Had you been around on Dec. 1, 1955, you could have personally thrown Rosa Parks off the bus for not knowing the meaning of adulthood since she didn't follow the bus line's rules.

Had you been around on Dec. 1, 1955, you could have personally thrown Rosa Parks off the bus for not knowing the meaning of adulthood since she didn't follow the bus line's rules.
So you think booze smuggling is a "protest" on a par with Rosa's? I don't.

So if you ignore one rule you should ignore all rules, otherwise you are a hypocrit. :rolleyes:

Just as a side note for people who didn't know (like myself before reading about it on another board and this one as well)

1. I found the actual bottles of booze by going to the "Gifts" section, selecting my husbands name and it took me to the "Spirits" link that gave the list and prices of alcohol you can order for your room.

2. I learned that you can also order the bar setup (hope I understand that right.) Others can explain it to you.

3. On the same page for links to Spirits you can buy a wine card or a cocktail card and I think these are REAL SAVINGS. This way you have the choice of any number of glasses of cocktails or wine orders at the bars and most places on the ship. Do the math on those as I think it is pretty good.

Hope that helps whoever is unaware because the information really helped me. I thought the only way to have affordable drinks in your cabin was order by the glass at higher prices. Nice to know it is not that hard to order what you want for a little more, have a bottle in your cabin and not have to try and figure out ways to bring it onboard.

One thing I've always wondered about is why HAL allows people to bring wine and soda on board. Why is that ok:confused: ? A lot more revenue could be earned there if it wasn't allowed. Personally I don't bring liquor (I mean wine or pop) on the ship.....too much hassle. For the amount I drink...it's not an issue. I'm sure folks would be smuggling a lot more on board if it was not allowed.

The reason it's okay is because the smugglers will always have an alibi/excuse

1. They water down the drinks

2. I only want to drink it in my cabin

3. They don't have the soda I drink on board

ie "Little Tommy Only Drinks Dr. Pepper"

and on and on and on

underneath the veil you'll simply see

cheapskate.gif

wow, talk about a stretch!!! Comparing the civil rights movement to booze smuggling?? It would be funny if it wasn't so off the mark....:rolleyes:

I can see why kind souls warned me off the Booze threads. lol

I will say this though. You can actually buy bottles etc for your room as I described above. Before I learned that I thought the only way to have it was bring it. The lines don't enforce moderate carry on that I am aware of. When I learned on the boards that it is possible to purchase these items so I was greatly relieved and have done so.

I don't think most people are cheap or taking it to the man, I think many just don't know it is available and how to do it. It is a little more expensive but hassle-free. It took me some time to actually find it after being told it was on the HAL website so if HAL really wants to encourage people to purchase booze from them the first thing they may want to do is fix the website to make it navigation-friendly. I was thrilled to find the pages after no small amount of searching. Still hoping this news helps someone...

deserve sainthood. Micky "God" Arison will give you your own tile with your picture and a halo! And then laugh all the way to the bank. And the same rules don't even apply to all the Carnival lines.

However, NOT FOLLOWING POLICY IS NOT UNLAWFUL! HAL can remove you from the ship, they can enforce trespassing but the actual disregard of their policy is not breaking a law!

I'm not sure what the sense of meaning is entailed in the change from my word "illegal" to your word "unlawful". From your post, the sense I get is that somehow the violator might be prosecuted by civil authorities responsible for maintaining certain bodies of law, such as criminal laws.

There is another body of law which exists outside of the responsibility of civil enforcement authorities, known as contract law. Civil authorities such as police do not have a role in administering this body of law, but the court systems do have a role. Disputes in this area are brought between entities under the jurisdiction of the court rather than the "people" vs. and individual.

As you have pointed out, HAL has the ability to remove someone that fails to comply with the legal policies it establishes. Each of us, as pax on HAL, represents that we accept the legal orders of the cruiseline. This is codified in section 6 of the cruise contract which is legally binding acccording to contract law.

My reading of this section is that it is "breach" language, that is, if someone fails to conform, they are in breach of contract, which is illegal according to contract law.

The guy who spends half his night emptying shampoo bottles and filling them with liquor is doing this because

"He Simply Does Not Know,He Can Buy Liquor On The Ship"

Ummm. I wasn't really speaking about anyone dedicated to the new art forms. lol No need to feel bad. I think many who ask don't want to utilize that kind of undignified method. Too much work. I ate up every word of one of these threads and learned so much from those that slipped in how to actually purchase the booze ahead of time that it finally sunk in. I was thrilled. The breakdowns of the cost were priceless. The frequent cruisers have a wealth of information to offer for new-to-HAL cruisers like myself. I also think the most experienced cruisers and the newbees often misunderstand one another. Just a thought. As for those who would work so hard to wash out bottles and refill them with booze in creative ways, by my calculations they need to think about the value of their time. So much cheaper to just order it. lol

Appreciate your point.

I think for some it is just the thrill of trying to get away with smuggling booze.

I don't drink that much so I am quite happy to just buy what I want on board. I have brought on champagne and wine, and have twice now carried off some of what I carried on.

One thing I've always wondered about is why HAL allows people to bring wine and soda on board. Why is that ok:confused: ? A lot more revenue could be earned there if it wasn't allowed. Personally I don't bring liquor (I mean wine or pop) on the ship.....too much hassle. For the amount I drink...it's not an issue. I'm sure folks would be smuggling a lot more on board if it was not allowed.

Your post points out the fallacy that HAL's policy is to maximize profits. Clearly, if this were the case, all beverages would be banned, including wine, soda and water. Since this isn't the case, it suggests some other reason for adopting the policy they did. Sodas and water represent little threat to the safety of others or the aggrivated behavior of any given passenger.

But wine?

From here I can only speculate. Wine is fine since it's drinkers are refined. :D :D

It doesn't matter much to me anyway, since I have to fly and trucking wine is a pain given the current airline regs. HAL makes a good profit from me on the packages I buy to cover the cruise, although I will admit to buying a bottle or two in ports for cabin consumption, along with trucking a box to get things started. I do like my grape juice.

I don't drink that much so I am quite happy to just buy what I want on board. I have brought on champagne and wine, and have twice now carried off some of what I carried on.

I think we should work on your planning skills and execution. ;)

I'll be glad to help you avoid the burden of packing and carrying leftovers.:D

WOW. After reading all the posts on this thread, for a minute I thought I was on the NCL thread. Over there they tend to pummel pretty regularly. ;)

The OP asked for a way to sneak on booze. Simple question and easy answer. Put it in your luggage. HAL doesn't scan for booze like NCL. If they find it worse they would do is take it and maybe return it at the end.

As far as all the other comments on "you shouldn't drink", "cheapskate", "rule breaker". Please, spare me the morality lesson. Bringing in a bottle of booze for onboard consumption in the OPs stateroom is neither going to break HAL's bank nor land the OP in jail.

The reason it's okay is because the smugglers will always have an alibi/excuse

1. They water down the drinks

2. I only want to drink it in my cabin

3. They don't have the soda I drink on board

ie "Little Tommy Only Drinks Dr. Pepper"

OMG, you really do not want to see a kid a with a "Pepper" addiction without it (especially a native Texan!), happened to us a Disney World and the concierge staff at the hotel felt so sorry for her they started bringing it in to her from the "outside world.":)

The OP asked for a way to sneak on booze. Simple question and easy answer. Put it in your luggage.

Is there any other way to smuggle it on? :confused: Under a hat?

More likely a question to solicit reactions rather than answers. :D

OMG, you really do not want to see a kid a with a "Pepper" addiction without it (especially a native Texan!), happened to us a Disney World and the concierge staff at the hotel felt so sorry for her they started bringing it in to her from the "outside world.":)

Or.. how about: They don't have Dr. Pepper, drink something else, kiddo.

Or.. how about: They don't have Dr. Pepper, drink something else, kiddo.

Ummm, how about I'm allowed to do so and I do??? I don't believe I stated she didn't drink anything else or that she ever threw a fit, I said they felt sorry for her and brought her the Dr. Pepper. That is like telling a coffee drinker they can just do without, you wouldn't get far with it.

Archived