trails and rain

kimcht

Since I have been reading on this board where alaska is getting even more rain than usual, can someone tell me if the hiking trails are passable or full of mud? I was just planning on bringing an xtra pair of walking/tennis shoes, but am reconsidering my walking boots? anyone checked the trails out recently? specifically anchorage, seward, girdwood area.we are leaving monday!. thanks

I do a huge amount of walking in Alaska. I gave up hiking boots long ago as they tend to 'acquire' mud and get too heavy. My ankles are plenty strong. Many of the trails have some sort of gravel, rocks, etc. but you can't avoid mud. It is up to you if a trail is passable. To answer your question on that. Seldom have I seen a trail actually closed unless it is obviously dangerous.

I use a multipurpose walking shoe from New Balance now. Many makers have very similar shoes. Yes, the trails will get muddy and slippery in and after rain. You can try to use a waterproof spray on your shoes.

Some Alaskans use a modified sort of high top walking shoe for general hiking. Also available in a variety of brands.

Be sure to take the right socks and plenty of them so you can change if your feet do get wet. I prefer wool, but that is my own opinion.

I still own heavy hiking boots, but they haven't traveled north to Alaska in a very long time. I wear my heaviest shoes on flights. The hikers are a huge bother with the TSA.

Remember that your coat/jacket can be carried on the plane saving you weight in your suitcase.

We walked a lot of trials and no problem. Only wore our boots in Skagway and Seward. Locals recommended because of streams, etc. Others we just wore our walking shoes. We were able to walk around or avoid and wet areas on paths.

Mrsosci

Archived