What time to arrive at port?

I've read plenty of posts on this forum advising getting to the port around midday or even earlier. We are booked on the Navigator leaving from Civitavecchia. Our boarding documents say we are advised not (not is underlined) to get there before 2.00, though it also says we should get there at least three hours before it leaves (5 o'clock).

We want to get a taxi transfer from our hotel at check out time, which would probably get us there about 12.30. Any advice as to whether this is ok? We don't really want to spend 1 1/2 hours with nothing to do at the port, but would prefer to get straight there if we can start checking in (I know it can take ages). Sorry if this is an obvious question, but its our first cruise!

I personally would stick with your plans to go at 12:30. That certainly is not exceedingly early, and you might even see a lot of cruisers watching you from the upper decks as you drive up. Seems to me I've read that a lot of people have received that kind of emphatic statement about not getting there early.

Besides, what would you do with that extra 90 minutes if you did not come to the ship early? Hardly enough time to do much (except sleep late:D ). I'm not familiar with that foreign port, but I still say go early.

(I just reread your post and see this is your first cruise, and I also see that you are fairly new to Cruise Critic. Welcome both to CC and to the world of cruising. Have a WONDERFUL trip! Keep reading these boards and you will learn SO MUCH. And you'll get some laughs too!)

Thank you for the replies. It looks as though we will stick to our 12.30 arrival time. That way we can breakfast, go to church (when in Rome!) and check out of our hotel at 11.

Its really helpful to get advice from people who have travelled with RCI before.

Thank you for the replies. It looks as though we will stick to our 12.30 arrival time. That way we can breakfast, go to church (when in Rome!) and check out of our hotel at 11.

Its really helpful to get advice from people who have travelled with RCI before.

It also depends on the port as well. LA/San Pedro has a nice strip of stores and restaurants you can wander through and Galveston is in the Strand Distrcit with interesting shops and resturants. Also there is (was when I lived in Houston) a rail road museum and while in the Strand Area watch the film "The Storm" talking about the 1900 Huricaine which had storm surges going into Houston some 50 miles away. This was before the seawall was built.

Archived