What to do on the balcony?

FMCowboy

Keep it clean please. My wife and I will have our first balcony cabin on our cruise in September and we want to make use of the balcony. What are some suggestions of ways to utilize? Can you really have someone bring a deck chair from the pool an put on your balcony for sunbathing? Looking forward to see how others get the most of their balcony.

thx

Keep it clean please. My wife and I will have our first balcony cabin on our cruise in September and we want to make use of the balcony. What are some suggestions of ways to utilize? Can you really have someone bring a deck chair from the pool an put on your balcony for sunbathing? Looking forward to see how others get the most of their balcony.

thx

It may depend on the balcony that you have. Legend has some larger balconies. The cabins that are "indented" from the side of the ship have about 50% more space than the regular side balconies.

Go to a site for the deck plans if you're not sure. For example check out 7281and others like it compared to 7267 and similar cabins. There are also cabins like 7258 but I believe those are reserved for handicapped.

The smaller balconies will come with 2 chairs and a table, the larger have had a chaise, a chair and a table.

We like just sitting on the balcony with morning coffee, in the afternoon reading and evening watching the stars. We may have some friends over but 3 or 4 on any of the balconies is really the max.

Charlie

thx

Regular balconies are not big enough for the lounge deck chairs.. you will have a normal chair and one that the back reclines.. Enjoy morning coffee or evening drinks out there.. watch the sunset or sunrise.. just watch the blue ocean it is very peaceful I find anyways;)

:) Hello,

I don't think a lounge chair from the pool area would fit on a regular sized balcony. It's possible it may fit better on an extended balcony or an aft or suite balcony. We have had both regular & extended & have never had a lounge chair brought to us. We get comfortable in the regular chairs out there. Depending on where your balcony cabin is located you may not get much sun at all, due to sun position & what may be over top of your balcony area.

Some of the reasons we enjoy our balcony...

Watching the sun rise & set from our own cabin area.

Watching our ship pull into each port from the comfort of our own cabin.

Having coffee brought to us by room service out there watching the sun come up.

When we have multiple balcony cabins booked side by side we have our own "balcony parties"

On our last cruise we were in port 4 days in a row, we spent our down time on our balcony relaxing.

We like to watch the flying fish & occasional dolphin from our balcony.

We have enjoyed seeing the pilot boat pull along our ship & let the harbor/port master off the ship & back to his port. I always am amazed at this.

My most favorite time on my balcony is before I go to sleep, I sit out there & listen to the sea & get that last dose of that beautiful sound before I turn in.

NOTE: My avatar picture was taken from my balcony on my last cruise.

It may depend on the balcony that you have. Legend has some larger balconies. The cabins that are "indented" from the side of the ship have about 50% more space than the regular side balconies.

Go to a site for the deck plans if you're not sure. For example check out 7281and others like it compared to 7267 and similar cabins. There are also cabins like 7258 but I believe those are reserved for handicapped.

The smaller balconies will come with 2 chairs and a table, the larger have had a chaise, a chair and a table.

We like just sitting on the balcony with morning coffee, in the afternoon reading and evening watching the stars. We may have some friends over but 3 or 4 on any of the balconies is really the max.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, we have an aft wrap balcony and plan on having more then four on it. I have heard it is large enough to do so. I will know for sure tomorrow!!! :D

Having a front-row seat to the ocean is hypnotic and so relaxing. Also, if you like the sound of the waves you can leave the door open while you sleep. Have room service bring your meal and eat out on the balcony.

We had an aft corner balcony on one of the HAL ships and it could have easily fit 20 + people. We spent 75% of the time on that balcony. It was heavenly. 2 wonderfully padded loungers, 2 large wicker chairs with ottomans, and a big round table with 4 chairs, and we still had tons of walking room. Totally not the norm.

Most balconies seem to be 6' - 7' wide or so and deep enough to have a chair that you can manage to just walk in front of. Very small but a gift just the same. Can't beat the view.

Our first balcony cabin was on our last cruise. We loved sitting out on our balcony as we pulled into port. Since the ship is going slow, you can really absorb the scenery and take some beautiful pictures.

Pre-dinner cocktails on the balcony are also a must.

Sleeping at night with the balcony door open and listening to the ocean.

We're hoping to do some whale watching from our balcony on our upcoming cruise:D

All of the above posts cover the reasons for having a Balcony You can start your day with the sunrise and finish with the sunset'

Enjoy a nice breakfast with ocean going by oe a final gass of wine before retiring for the night

I had a balcony on the Ecstasy last year. It had two chairs and a small table. No room for a lounge chair from the pool. We did what others have done above, sat out there with coffee, enjoyed the ocean air after dinner and at other parts of the day, chatted with each others, chatted with the neighbors, watched as the boat pulled into port, smoke without having to go out to the deck ;) etc.

I'm a smoker and there was no ashtray so I grabbed a glass from the room and put a little water in the bottom... the lovely room stewards would even dump it and refill the bottom of water for me :D

I had a balcony on the Ecstasy last year. It had two chairs and a small table. No room for a lounge chair from the pool. We did what others have done above, sat out there with coffee, enjoyed the ocean air after dinner and at other parts of the day, chatted with each others, chatted with the neighbors, watched as the boat pulled into port, smoke without having to go out to the deck ;) etc.

I'm a smoker and there was no ashtray so I grabbed a glass from the room and put a little water in the bottom... the lovely room stewards would even dump it and refill the bottom of water for me :D

I'm surprised that the steward didn't just bring you an ashtray.

Back when DW was a smoker (smoke free for 1½ years now) the stewards would supply us with one.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, we have an aft wrap balcony and plan on having more then four on it. I have heard it is large enough to do so. I will know for sure tomorrow!!! :D
Yes, the aft wraps and most of the other aft balconies are larger. We've got our first wrap scheduled for next January:p

Charlie

Yeah, you'd think they had enough ashtrays on board to spare one for my balcony. I thought it was a nice touch though... instead of taking it and leaving us with 2 glasses in the room, they left 2 in the room, and one on the balcony.

Congrats to your wife on quitting!

I'm surprised that the steward didn't just bring you an ashtray.

Back when DW was a smoker (smoke free for 1½ years now) the stewards would supply us with one.

Charlie

I can not think of a more relaxing and peaceful time than sitting out on a balcony on a cruise ship looking out at and listening to the beautiful Caribbean seas doing absolutely nothing. :)

I can not think of a more relaxing and peaceful time than sitting out on a balcony on a cruise ship looking out at and listening to the beautiful Caribbean seas doing absolutely nothing. :)

I agree, totally.

I used to be content with the cheapest inside cabin I could get and would quietly snicker at those who paid much more for a window or a balcony. How much time do you spend in your cabin anyhow?

Then, about 8/9 years ago, I was upgraded to a balcony cabin. Then I knew. Then the "lightbulb" came on. Now I am spoiled rotten.

This is what I found out: The reason you don't spend much time in your inside cabin is - it's dark, it has no view and is suitable for showering, changing clothes and sleeping. No matter how nice it is, how big it is, it's still a room with only function as it's purpose.

A balcony provides access to the sea, stars, rising and setting sun, entry into ports, midnights watching the ghostly glow of phosphorus in the water. It provides a serene quietness in the early, early mornings where you can enjoy your room service coffee and watch the sea change at sunrise. You know for sure you are in an alien environment where the ground is 7 miles under your feet....where you may see dolphins playing or amazing flying fish.

A balcony provides your own space to sit and sun...to get away from the noise of the ship, if needed. It is your quiet corner of the world.....and it's private. I can not imagine cruising without one.

As a solo cruiser, having a balcony has raised my price substantially. I have adjusted to taking fewer cruises a year in order to have one. Where I might have take 5/6 a year, I now take 2/3... It's worth it. Cruising without a balcony is simply not an option anymore.:p

Yeah, you'd think they had enough ashtrays on board to spare one for my balcony. I thought it was a nice touch though... instead of taking it and leaving us with 2 glasses in the room, they left 2 in the room, and one on the balcony.

Congrats to your wife on quitting!

i guess when they saw a cigarette in one of the cup s..after they turn d down the room that evening there was an ashtray left behind..kinda nice

gesture without having to ask..

with our first balcony..we found right away we were spending more time

in the cabin..we spent our time reading alot, normally it would have been done in a lounge or the pool deck..we spent almost all of our time when not in port on the balcony in the the tropical areas..and it was gorgeous

in the evening while in Acopolco..1am and leaving the port with city

light s in the background..

For us, if the lido deck is too crowded or noisy, we grab a bucket of beer and go to the bl. Now on formal nights, or whatever you want to call it, we grab a bottle of champagne and enjoy it while getting ready and then finish it on the bl.

We enjoyed coffee & breakfast on the balcony in the mornings. We'd have room service deliver & start our day out on a nice relaxed way.

When one of us was showering, the other was usually on the balcony. DH spent a bit more time out there while I did my hair & make-up.

Drinks before &/or after dinner.

Relaxing before bed.

And if it's just you & your spouse, of course you have to christen the balcony. ;)

We treat as if we were at the beach. We go out there EVERY TIME we are in the room.

Once or twice we will eat breakfast out there.

We will be out there before we take off.

I wait out there while my wife gets ready.

Basically we take 200% advantage of it!!

On NCL we were able to put one of the beds out on the balcony. I am not 100% sure you can on Carnival as we have only sailed once and we did not think of it then.

We put the bed out there after turn down service and put it back when we woke up in the morning. We actually had friends who had a balcony next to ours and they had their bed and we had ours. It is just the twin bed so it is not roomy but romantic.

Not many people have ever mentioned doing this, it is a project to get the bed out there, but believe me, it was one of the best things we have ever done.

Funny side story, when we were out there, my friend woke up in the morning and kind of screeched, he had forgotten he was out there and when he opened his eyes all he saw was the ocean, he was shocked. His wife, my OH and I all awoke to this and when he told us why, we started laughing for quite a few moments.

HoopTroop

Oh yeah, it can fit a lot of people on it. You will love it!!!:D

Yes, the aft wraps and most of the other aft balconies are larger. We've got our first wrap scheduled for next January:p

Charlie

Charlie, We have an aft wrap on the Triumph in 4 weeks. If it's anything at all like the aft wraps on the Glory, you will love it!!!:D

The picture below was taken from our aft wrap on the Legend in June.

Archived