Best Beaches in Progresso??

No snorkling. Progreso is actually on the Gulf of Mexico so the water is not crystal clear like the Caribbean. It's a nice large beach with great food accross the Malecon. There are many options for this port.

I will second. Not breaking any laws if you snorkel, but you won't see anything. The water looked very cloudy, and no reefs that I know of in that area. West of the pier, I belive they were catching octopus, but not sure how, or why an octopus would be there.

I posted a link some photos of Uxmal and Progreso:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=53273

at the bottom. About the last 8 are of Progreso.

It may not work for all users, I can post elsewhere if it doesn't work.

Shopping to me is a dirty word, unless you are talking about food or on the Internet. I regret not trying some local food, but I did buy some hot sauce! Talk about a daily double - I see they have a website:

http://www.elyucateco.com/

There must be others, but this was the first that caught my sight and taste!

I am not the best to offer options for this location - just my one (so far) experience at this port.

• 4 weeks later...

Ashley,

When we were in Progresso the last week of Oct. we went to the beach at the end of the pier. We set up at the beach which goes with Buddy's Bar & Restaurant. It is owned by a man from Amsterdam who took excellent care of us. There was 8 in our group, we had a great table & umbrella on the beach with a wonderful waiter named Armando. Armando was the best, anything we needed he would get for us. We had chips & salsa and Tequila shots and small Coronas on the house. Then we ordered buckets of regualr size Coronas. There was 4 adults and 4 kids in our group, there were beach chairs if you wanted to lay in the sun. The men parked the butts at the table and the other Mom & I visited some of the local vendors across the street. This beach is about 3 blocks from where the free bus drops you off. There's also flee market type stalls where you catch the bus.

We walked to the beach and had a great relaxing day before catching the bus back to the pier. Oh I forgot you will get your usual groups of locals wanting to sell you their stuff, but they were all very nice about leaving you alone if you just tell them no thanks. Go to Buddy's you won't go wrong!

Have a great cruise!

Linda

I enjoyed this port and wished we had more time there. We were there in Oct. '03 and it was hot! We started to stand in the long line for the free shuttle bus into town from the boat and then discovered all of us (family of 5) could catch a taxi right to the beach for $6. I knew the bus dropped you off 3 blocks from the beach at the market and since we weren't interested in shopping this was ideal. My kids enjoyed playing in the ocean while I sat on the beach getting my hair braided. We also walked a little further down the beach and enjoyed lunch under some palpa's. My only warning is to take cash, most restuarants don't take credit cards. We found this out the hard way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Can someone please confirm if there is a free bus from the pier to the town of Progreso? Postings here say that there is, but Carnival Cruise line says no. Hate to spend on the Corona Beach excursion if you can get there for free. Also is there a nice beach in Belize? Thank you.

• 2 years later...

Archived