Snorkel Trip to Lanai

VOLEYMOM

We will be on the Infinity in Nov. and would love to hear from anyone that has done the ship snorkel and dolphin tour to Lanai. How many people on the tour and was it worth the money. Usually look for a small 8-10 person tour but am having trouble finding it on the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rebecca

I did see that website and was wondering how you liked it. Were there to many people snorkeling. I hate snorkeling with a huge group. We like a smaller boat with just a few people. I have been doing a web search and really have found not much, only the larger boats.

They have rather large trimarans which carry a fairly large crowd (maybe 40), but split the group in Lanai. Half went on a jeep run to Shipwreck Beach, while the other half snorkelled. Then we switched. After that, a delicious lunch. I'm not sure if any of the smaller boats go to Lanai, but keep looking if that's what you want. We took a smaller boat to Molokini a couple of trips ago, and my stomach still heaves every time I think of it.

The only downside I can see is the hour of departure. I think they leave Lahaina quite early in the morning, around 8:30 or so. Will your ship be in early enough for you to tender in at that hour? The last time we did it the Norwegian Wind was already anchored off shore, so you may be able to make it.

We are in Maui for 2 days and will do this on our second full day there. We plan to do Hana on the first and then have a fun day snorkeling the second day. 8:30 won't be to bad, won't have to get up at the crack of dawn and enough time to get ready. Unfortunately there is just to much stuff to do on the Islands. I guess it just makes sense to take another Hawaii cruise!

You're so close to Hawaii, you should be going there regularly. For those of us who have to cross the continent and then the ocean, the deciding factor is money. Fortunately, our last trip was on points, and so will be the next one. That allows us to stay for 3 weeks instead of 2.

We did the Trilogy excursion last year. It was great. Since it is a tender port we had to catch a very early tender to be at the dock by 6:15 Am but it was worth it. Click on my web page below and then click on Lanai in the choices at the top of the page to see pictures of our trip on Trilogy.

daWoods: I know it seems like "west coasters" would find it easy and inexpensive to go to Hawaii, but most of the time it's really not. While some good off-season air prices do exist, most of the time it's more expensive just to get there than you might think. Also major west coast airports are pretty spread out. Many people have to take a flight from a regional airport first ($$$). And it's not like going to the Caribbean from the east coast because driving to Hawaii is not an option; whereas a Maryland resident, for example, can drive to Florida if air prices are too high.

beachchick

I did the tour done by the Pacific Whale Foundation and I can't recommend them highly enough. We've since done several subsequent tours from them and all were great. They are knowledgeable and a great bunch.

The trip to Lanai included a great grilled lunch on board (chicken and maybe hamburgers). The snorkeling is good there but I've seen better - off Kona, for example.

Sammy

Thanks everyone for their help. Just went to book the Trilogy trip and can't due to the fact it is on Sunday and they don't do the trip to Lanai on Sunday. Will be checking the Whale Foundation one also or maybe just do the one from the ship. Sammy where did you snorkel in Kona? Did you do an excursion or just from shore. Haven't decided what to do there yet. Thanks again!

VOLEYMOM

Kealakekua Bay and Kahulu'u Bay. Please do keep in mind that a whole lot of factors may have gone in to my saying that I didn't think the snorkeling at Lanai was that great. I've snorkeled at both Molokini and Lanai off of Maui twice each. Never saw dolphins. I'm not that great in the water and all 4 times, the water was very choppy. That could be coincidence. Kealakekua was a similar experience but less choppy. All trips were fun and I'd do them again. I'm still using Cozumel as a measuring stick and it can't be bested for coral formations and the variety. I've not found the coral that beautiful in Hawaii.

Since I'm such a sissy in the water, I was more than pleased with Kahulu'u Bay. Easy access, walk in, usually calm, "shallow", great facilities right there at the park on shore, lifeguard, free. I don't know that it had any more variety of fish but the ever-present turtles were fun. Sweet Emi lives in Kona and I think she mentioned at least one place on the Kona side that was also good.

So just remember that anytime anyone gives you an opinion there may be underlying qualifiers. It's fun to snorkel anywhere but Kahulu'u was just so easy in all respects.

I do like the PWF - a non-profit group that uses the excursions to pay for it's continuing research on sea life. They are most knowledgeable and just are a nice group with a long-presence on Maui.

Sammy

Thanks again Sammy. It is alot nicer when the sea is calm. Last time I was in Cozumel it was really hard to snorkel. Very choppy and wild. So as you say it just depends. Kahulu'u Bay sounds very nice. We have a newbie snorkeler with us and she is not that comfortable in the water so that just might be perfect. Sure hope we see some Dolphins. You never know. Thanks again for the help.

Rebecca

Archived