Johnny Rockets Surcharge goes FLEET WIDE

RDeagazio

[quote name='OceanCruise']Some simple solutions without a charge would be:
- No children admitted at certain hours without an adult
-Have adult only times
-Everyone gets certificates for a limited number of visits for the entire cruise (perhaps beyond that they would have to pay)
-Allow only a limited amount of food per visit such as one or two burgers and one or two sides
-Enforce a no loitering policy
-Have a reservation system/sign up sheet or give out tickets for certain times.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point. I just find it interesting that the only solution RCI found to this "problem" was the one that put more money in their pockets. My gripe is with their explanation for the charge. I just think that if they wanted to make JR's an alternative dining experience----Just be truthful.

Well for me I could care less about the surcharge and my four visits on the Navigator two weeks ago helped show RCI that some of us out there are willing to pay for it. If you do not like the surcharge then make your concerns known to RCI. If they do not change things to your satisfaction then take your business down the road. Pretty simple answer.

I just got off my 4th rccl cruise seems like they changed a couple of things surcharge at jr and no fried eggs at the windjammer and a few others. I will do what you say and try princess or carnivale been on both will see if they are getting cheap too. john

[quote name='luv2fish']I just got off my 4th rccl cruise seems like they changed a couple of things surcharge at jr and no fried eggs at the windjammer and a few others. I will do what you say and try princess or carnivale been on both will see if they are getting cheap too. john[/QUOTE]
Fried eggs are bad for you anyway.:)

It's a fast food burger chain in a diner. You can find them in some US cities. They have speculated above as to why they are charging now. Who knows? I won't mind paying next week, as I like the burgers and onion rings!

• 1 month later...
As a crown & Anchor's member I did not mind visiting Johnny Rockets once on my Voyager of the Seas sailing over christmas without paying. There was a line, however, due to torrential downpours which closed all outdoor seating. I think that the surcharge is a good idea as the place was not exceptionally crowded and service was relatively good. The problem I have is with the drinks being extra, ie. coffee. THe reason I have a problem with the coffee is that apparently if you want a cup a cup of coffee the waiter has to go all the way down to windjammers to get it. So he is getting you a cup of coffee that is free to all passengers and then charging you for it. We even offered to get the coffee ourselves and they said that this is prohibited. Therefore, if they are going to have a surcharge to enter the place then they shouldn't charge for items which are complimentary in other areas of the ship if they are the exact same product. Now, if this was seattle's best coffee, then I could understand charging 1.50 for the cup since it is a specialty coffe like that served in the coffee bar but this was not.

Sincerely,

JC

[quote name='Joe1690']As a crown & Anchor's member I did not mind visiting Johnny Rockets once on my Voyager of the Seas sailing over christmas without paying. There was a line, however, due to torrential downpours which closed all outdoor seating. I think that the surcharge is a good idea as the place was not exceptionally crowded and service was relatively good. The problem I have is with the drinks being extra, ie. coffee. THe reason I have a problem with the coffee is that apparently if you want a cup a cup of coffee the waiter has to go all the way down to windjammers to get it. So he is getting you a cup of coffee that is free to all passengers and then charging you for it. We even offered to get the coffee ourselves and they said that this is prohibited. Therefore, if they are going to have a surcharge to enter the place then they shouldn't charge for items which are complimentary in other areas of the ship if they are the exact same product. Now, if this was seattle's best coffee, then I could understand charging 1.50 for the cup since it is a specialty coffe like that served in the coffee bar but this was not.

Sincerely,

JC[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more.

On our cruise, I don't think I will mind paying for JR at least once because we don't get to have it often and we all like their food (the onion rings are yum-o). I don't drink coffee, so that issue won't affect me directly, but I agree - that is a little pathetic...

The last cruise I was on, they told me the scoop. Johny Rockets, pays for the square footage of the ship. The ship then reimburses them for the number of passengers that eat there. That is th way I understand it to be.

When I was there last time there was no surcharge. Might be different this time.

[quote name='kewlguy']If people were smart enough to boycott Johnny Rocketts the surcharge would disappear. Unfortunately, I doubt enough people will.[/QUOTE]
Not as long as they allow kids on board. I am amazed that people would eat there for dinner.

[quote name='setcarp']Not as long as they allow kids on board. I am amazed that people would eat there for dinner.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, it is a place that we like and don't get very often, so that is why we may chose to eat there once. In my opinion, it is better than fast food. Probably won't eat dinner there either - just a quick lunch (well, hopefully quick). I don't have too much issue with them charging for it because the price is more reasonable than if you went to a JR in a mall or whatever... I don't think it needs to be boycotted and I don't think it has to do with kids. We would want to eat there whether our kids were with us or not. Actually, we enjoy it more than our kids do. If you don't like it, don't eat there...as I am sure you (and I mean a general you, not YOU specifically setcarp) don't.

On our cruise in 2002 (our first) we were VERY late getting on the ship. We were wearing jeans (we had to rush from the airport) and our suitcases were not delivered to our cabin until very late the first night. Because of that, combined with the fact that by the time we got on ship we were starving, and had no idea where Windjammers was located, we ate at Rockets for dinner. It was pretty good, but we were very hungry too. With the other alternatives available I wouldn't make a point of eating there for dinner again, but I wasn't going into the dining room (or Windjammers even) in jeans.

Curious, why wouldn't you go to Windjammer in jeans??? THAT'S WHAT WINDJAMMER IS FOR! It's where people who don't care to dress up go for dinner, and most of the people who eat there ARE in jeans and shorts, etc.

[quote name='TrentS']Curious, why wouldn't you go to Windjammer in jeans??? THAT'S WHAT WINDJAMMER IS FOR! It's where people who don't care to dress up go for dinner, and most of the people who eat there ARE in jeans and shorts, etc.[/QUOTE]
Yes. I know that now. But as I said, it was our first cruise and we had no idea what to expect. And we hadn't even seen Windjammers at that point, so we didn't know where it was.
We were just wandering around, still in shock (well, not really) from horrendous delays on flights, and rushing to get to the ship, when we stumbled on Rockets. We were all hungry. It looked good to me.:)

Early on in this post someone said something about takeout from JR. I thought I had read elsewhere that the charge was basically for taking up a seat, not the food and so takeout was not subject to the charge. Which is correct?

Also, I understand the kids clubs do a couple of dinners at JR. Are these subject to the fee?

All that I know is that I can't wait to eat @ Johnny Rockets when I go on the AOS in Dec. There is nothing like a great bacon cheesburger with onion rings and a chocolate shake!

As for the $3.95 fee, I don't mind paying it. It's 4 bucks for cripes sake! How many times do you drop 4 bucks on something simple in day to day activites. But maybe thats just me since I wouldn't hesitate paying the add'l fee for a specialty restaurant on the ship (and in the process, get much much better food and service!)

Archived