Johnny Rockets Surcharge goes FLEET WIDE

RDeagazio

Johnny Rockets is a restaurant that is supposed to look like a 50's diner and the food is primarily burgers, fries, onion rings, shakes, etc. Many people like it as an alternative to the regular food on board. You will find Johnny Rockets only on Voyager class ships. The problem was that it was frequently very crowded at lunch time and you could wait 30 minutes or more to get in. Part of the blame has been attributed to the proximity of Johnny Rockets and the location of the rooms that house the children's program. Many people feel that the kids would use Johnny Rockets as a hang out so no one else could get served. The cover charge was designed to thin out the crowd since most of the food is free. You can find Johnny Rockets at many malls and locations all over the country.

Here is the situation in a nutshell. If you want more detailed info, do a search on the forums.

Johnny Rockets is a land based 50s-style burger joint that Royal Caribbean decided to add on to their Voyager Class ships (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator and Mariner). When they originally put it on the ships, there was no charge to eat there, but only for their milk shakes. Situated next door to JR is the Adventure Arcade, a common teen hangout on the ships. Kids were going from there and hanging out in Johnny Rockets for hours on end, monopolizing the tables and the increasing the wait for legit customers. RCCL recently imposed a $3.45 per person surcharge to being seated to cut down on this, which has apparently worked. The restaurant is easy to get into now.

This is a hot point of contention now because there are many people who think that this is just another way that Royal Caribbean is trying to cut corners and increase revenue. Others believe that RCCLs intentions are benign and that they only did it to fix a problem. Personally, I really didn't mind the charge when I went there in October. What I think will happen is, because there were VERY few people there when I was on board, the surcharge will be dropped to under $3. Just my opinion though.

Please don't flame me, I tried to be as objective as possible.

Johnny Rockets is a restaurant that is supposed to look like a 50's diner and the food is primarily burgers, fries, onion rings, shakes, etc. Many people like it as an alternative to the regular food on board. You will find Johnny Rockets only on Voyager class ships. The problem was that it was frequently very crowded at lunch time and you could wait 30 minutes or more to get in. Part of the blame has been attributed to the proximity of Johnny Rockets and the location of the rooms that house the children's program. Many people feel that the kids would use Johnny Rockets as a hang out so no one else could get served. The cover charge was designed to thin out the crowd since most of the food is free. You can find Johnny Rockets at many malls and locations all over the country.

At the insistence of visiting friends we went to the JR in Myrtle Beach a few years ago and have never been back. Yes, it was somewhat like a 50's diner with singing waiters but the food was expensive and not very good. We didn't bother trying JR on our last Mariner cruise. Is it worth going to in your opinion?

Every time I see this topic I have one thought...........BIG DEAL....it's 4 BUCKS!!

Hasn't this been beat to death?????

JEEEEZzzzzzzzzzz LOL...

I guess I just don't understand the logic that if it's on the ship, it should be free, or included in the cruise price. Either go or not. There should be things on the ship that are extra as far as I am concerned. If I remember right, somewhere I read that the reason they did it was to keep the lines down, but that's irrelevant. They are not ripping people off, it's called BUSINESS.

There already is a love affair going on with McDonalds. There is a McDonald's kiosk in Frontierland and Dinoland at Walt Disney World... Disney purists ponder why would people go all the way to Walt Disney World just to eat McDonald's french fries.

Brand recognition is very powerful. People are often willing to pay for an image, an idea, or the ambiance of an image. How much they're willing to pay, how many who are willing to pay, and under what circumstances they're willing to pay -- these are all variables and fluxuate over time.

OK John,

but hang onto your hat and watch for your answers. The JR mess started a big broo haha in the past.

No problem. Didnt mean to start a broo haha. Next question.....just exactly what is a broo haha?

I've been on three prior cruises but all have been on Carnival. I didnt notice any place where you had to pay extra to eat. Speaking of which, why would someone pay to get into a place to eat when they could just go to any of the other places on board for free?

Oh well, I'm on the Splendour the end of January and I guess there is no Johnny Rockets there to worry about.....

Thanks,

John

If the overcrowding problem was the real reason for the surcharge couldn't they have figured out a solution that didn't involve taking more money out of our pockets. Yes , it is a business, but nickel and diming passengers to death with constantly adding more and more charges for "extras" makes the cruising experience a lot less enjoyable!

If the overcrowding problem was the real reason for the surcharge couldn't they have figured out a solution that didn't involve taking more money out of our pockets. Yes , it is a business, but nickel and diming passengers to death with constantly adding more and more charges for "extras" makes the cruising experience a lot less enjoyable!

This is no different than eating at Portofino or Chops. You still have the areas that have always been included in your cruise fare to dine. I do not see anyway that RCI could have corrected the problem without adding the surcharge. If you want to look somewhere to lay the blame then look at the irresponsible parents who let their kids hang out at JR's without proper supervision.

No problem. Didnt mean to start a broo haha. Next question.....just exactly what is a broo haha?

I've been on three prior cruises but all have been on Carnival. I didnt notice any place where you had to pay extra to eat. Speaking of which, why would someone pay to get into a place to eat when they could just go to any of the other places on board for free?

Oh well, I'm on the Splendour the end of January and I guess there is no Johnny Rockets there to worry about.....

Thanks,

John

LOL, actually, a brouhaha is an uproar, hubbub, or a ruckus. In general, making a stink about something. LOL.

It is NOT mandatory that you go there, so they are NOT nickle and diming you. It's an OPTION, albeit not an included option. Why is that so hard to understand? Again, why can't people just accept that it is NOT included in the price of the cruise? Should the gifts in the gift shop be included too?(I bet some think so...)

Let me say this again. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO THERE. If you want to, then you PAY. It's as simple as that.

Gawd people, get past this.

[quote name='1corona4u']LOL, actually, a brouhaha is an uproar, hubbub, or a ruckus. In general, making a stink about something. LOL.[/QUOTE]
Ohhhh, I see. Yes, I am familiar with a hubub and a ruckus. I believe I drank one of each last time in Barbados. And if I remember correctly, a big stink was made but no one would admit to it....
John

[quote name='1corona4u']Should the gifts in the gift shop be included too?(I bet some think so...)[/QUOTE]
The difference is that they were never included and J.R.s was so your analogy does not apply. However, I won't get back into the debate on this any more. If you find this subject so irritating why do you read and post to the thread? To use your words..."Get past it."

[quote name='Ocean Boy']The difference is that they were never included and J.R.s was so your analogy does not apply. However, I won't get back into the debate on this any more. If you find this subject so irritating why do you read and post to the thread? To use your words..."Get past it."[/QUOTE] FYI, I am past it. I posted to this thread to voice my opinion, which is what the board was designed for. That and the fact that this is one of those topics that inspired me to start the poll "people who complain about cruise prices".

Maybe people need to stop living in the past. As far as them having included it before, so what. They don't include it anymore. I can remember when BellSouth didn't charge for some features that they now charge for too. Some I pay for, others I will not pay for.

People act as if they are getting ripped off, when they [b]do not have to go there[/b]. I'm sure people can have just as good of a time whether or not they go to JR's.

I have no issue with paying for the charge, if I decide I want a burger and fries, which I probably won't do, since I can have that at home. I have no need to eat at a place because it's supposedly famous. I really never heard of JR's before I came to this board. The atmosphere is not usually why I choose a place to eat either.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I would rather pay to go to Chops or Portofino for a great meal as opposed to a hamburger joint. Food really isn't the focus of my cruise though.

I will tell you why this doesn't just die and go away. Because people feel that RCI has provided a lame reason for the charge. They never should have said that it was to increase customer satisfaction. Obviously, it didn't increase the satisfaction of many customers.

They should have simple said that they were going to start treating J.R.s like any other specialty restaurant and there would now be a charge. Maybe there would have been a few gripes at the beginning but there is no way to argue with that reasoning as there is with the reason that was supplied by RCI. A little honesty and this all would have died down real quicking and RCI would have been sailing on with their charge in place and everyone going about their business and deciding whether or not to partake of the grease laden food.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']I will tell you why this doesn't just die and go away. Because people feel that RCI has provided a lame reason for the charge. They never should have said that it was to increase customer satisfaction. Obviously, it didn't increase the satisfaction of many customers.

They should have simple said that they were going to start treating J.R.s like any other specialty restaurant and there would now be a charge. Maybe there would have been a few gripes at the beginning but there is no way to argue with that reasoning as there is with the reason that was supplied by RCI. A little honesty and this all would have died down real quicking and RCI would have been sailing on with their charge in place and everyone going about their business and deciding whether or not to partake of the grease laden food.[/QUOTE]You're exactly right, that's what they should have said. But new people that cruise, that weren't/aren't aware that it was free before learn about it here.

[quote name='cruisingator2'][quote name='gfcacc']!

I do not see anyway that RCI could have corrected the problem without adding the surcharge. If you want to look somewhere to lay the blame then look at the irresponsible parents who let their kids hang out at JR's without proper supervision.[/QUOTE]

Some simple solutions without a charge would be:
- No children admitted at certain hours without an adult
-Have adult only times
-Everyone gets certificates for a limited number of visits for the entire cruise (perhaps beyond that they would have to pay)
-Allow only a limited amount of food per visit such as one or two burgers and one or two sides
-Enforce a no loitering policy
-Have a reservation system/sign up sheet or give out tickets for certain times.

Here's a question for you, why [b]shouldn't[/b] they charge for it? Other than that which has already been stated.

I am also sure that RCI has had to purchase franchising rights to JR's, so why shouldn't they try to recoup that?? Have any of you looked at their minimum franchise criteria? I do realize that this is a small nut for a company like RCI, but nonetheless, there were, and maybe still are, franchising cost for the cruise line involved.

None of us knows what kind of deal RCI has with J.R.'s so why do you speculate? For all we know J.R.'s could have done it for the exposure and there is no cost other than the food that is bought. My senario is just a plausible as yours.

I never even heard of J.R.'s before I started getting ready to sail on Explorer. And when I ran across my first land based one I never would have given the place a second look if I hadn't been exposed to it from RCI.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']None of us knows what kind of deal RCI has with J.R.'s so why do you speculate? For all we know J.R.'s could have done it for the exposure and there is no cost other than the food that is bought. My senario is just a plausible as yours.

I never even heard of J.R.'s before I started getting ready to sail on Explorer. And when I ran across my first land based one I never would have given the place a second look if I hadn't been exposed to it from RCI.[/QUOTE]I think I will write to JR's and ask them. I'm more likely to get an answer from them than I will from RCI. Just so I have all the facts.

Archived