Life vests for infants?

gkrnjlr

On our last cruise or boys (ages 2 and 3) did NOT do well with the life vest/safety drill. This time they have opted to stay home with grandma and grandpa, BUT, we're taking our 9 mo. old. Is there going to be a life vest for her during this drill and are they going to make us put it on her?

It was HORRIBLE last time and even the Carnival employees were dismissing us from the drill! I just don't want a repeat of that!

We just went on a Carnival ship recently and actually skipped the drill with our 5mo old and 23mo old. It was a long day and it was nap time when we got on the ship. They actually both slept through the alarm. Our cabin steward gave us detailed information and also made sure we had infants vests in our cabin. I was stressing about the drill and was happy to find out they could meet with us privately.

The drill only lasts at the most 20 mins... and that includes the time that you are walking to your muster station....also they are inside....so you dont have to go out by the lifeboats like the drills were before.

We did fine with our little one when he was 9 months and 11 months old....We always make sure to sit on the outside of the room...so we arent in the middle and we are able to walk around with him...yes he did get a little fussy but the drill didnt last long..and the camp carnival ladies had to come around and get the muster band for his leg...so we needed to go..even though we have been before...we will always go to the drills

They have never made us put the life jacket on our DD. As long as we have it with us and demonstrate we know how to put our own on. A few times my DD has slept right through the drill in her stroller and they dont have us wake her. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Once they let my husband go to the drill and me and DD stayed on the promenade deck since they locked the elevators and DD was in her stroller.

At least they'll work with us on the drill! We've never had issues until our last cruise where on the Victory we were outside and there were a LOT of people shoved into a small space and this "huge" life vest was on the kids. They just didn't do well with it! 20 minutes isn't bad until your little one is screaming bloody murder from the first minute into it. Even taking off the life vest didn't help them calm down!

SO.....it's comforting to hear from others here that they'll work with us and as long as we show that we know how to put the life vest on her we're "good to go."

Thanks!

Just returned from FOS with an 8 month old. I don't know about Carnival's policies. Our 8 month old LOVED the muster drill! She got the biggest kick out of seeing everyone walking around in these silly, oversized bright orange things (life vests)! They did not have her lifejacket available in time for the drill (we recieved it that evening) but there were other young children/infants who did not have to wear their vests. Also, once we got to our muster station (one of the dining rooms) the staff told me I could take my vest off in order to hold her. It was tricky carrying her through the ship wearing the jacket myself, but we managed - I'm sure if it is impossible for you, they won't require you wear yours if you have your infant - but in the case of a real emergency, you'll all have to be wearing one so you might want to use the drill as a chance to figure out just how you're going to do that ;)

Exactly! God forbid something happens at least we'll be prepared.

I am probably overthinking it but I do want to know a little in advance that if for some reason she's miserable during the drill that she can take off the vest and let her relax!

She's really an easygoing baby so I am hoping she'll look around at everyone walking around in the silly oversized orange things! ha ha!

We put the life vest on our 5.5 month old and he screamed the whole way to the muster station. We were told, once we arrived, that for the drill (only) it was not necessary to actually have the infant in the vest, as long as we had the vest with us.

In the event of a real emergency we would need to have the vest on the baby.

For every cruise after that we have only ever hand carried the vest and have been fine.

If you feel "okay" with this idea, perhaps you could try it and see if the Carnival people allow you to only hand carry the vest.

Ah, another little one that didn't enjoy it! I can totally relate!

I do think we'll try that approach first to just carry hers. Did you wear yours while carrying him? Was he in the stroller? Or did you carry him?

Thanks!

At least they'll work with us on the drill! We've never had issues until our last cruise where on the Victory we were outside and there were a LOT of people shoved into a small space and this "huge" life vest was on the kids. They just didn't do well with it! 20 minutes isn't bad until your little one is screaming bloody murder from the first minute into it. Even taking off the life vest didn't help them calm down!

SO.....it's comforting to hear from others here that they'll work with us and as long as we show that we know how to put the life vest on her we're "good to go."

Thanks!

Yay luckily they arent outside anymore...the last two times we were in the lounge so there are seats and everything. The last time we had some really drunk people that were right next to us..so they were the ones who made more noise haha....

I'd MUCH rather deal with a child that's unhappy than listen to the drunks throughout the drill.....

The Victory was the first time we sailed that we were ever packed like sardines for the muster drill. Every other time we've either been in the lounge or the theater.

Archived