Roatan

tootsiescurly

Which dive op does Carnival use in Roatan? We are looking to dive in Roatan but not with the ship. Any recommendations? We are looking for a shop which will pick us up from and return us to the ship. We would also like to do a private dive if at all possible.

I don't know what dive shop Carnival uses but we are going on 8/31 and we've booked independently through Bananarama. I got the information on CC and usually those recommendations work out well. They are picking us up at the dock as well.

Which dive op does Carnival use in Roatan? We are looking to dive in Roatan but not with the ship. Any recommendations? We are looking for a shop which will pick us up from and return us to the ship. We would also like to do a private dive if at all possible.

Do it the other way. Don't decide who NOT to dive with. Find out who you want to dive with. Most the time the operator handling the shore excursion for the ship cannot take someone from the ship directly. That is, they won't let you book with them directly. You'll have to book through the ship.

So if a dive operator knows you are on a Carnival ship and you try to book, they'll turn you away.

Do it the other way. Don't decide who NOT to dive with. Find out who you want to dive with. Most the time the operator handling the shore excursion for the ship cannot take someone from the ship directly. That is, they won't let you book with them directly. You'll have to book through the ship.

So if a dive operator knows you are on a Carnival ship and you try to book, they'll turn you away.

I think you misunderstood the question. We do not under any circumstance care to dive with the ship. You are correct the company the ship contracts will not allow us to book a private dive. We simply wanted recommendations of dive shops, preferably PADI.

Hi there, I've been reading this thread because I'm on a Panama Canal cruise in December that has a port in Roatan. I'm sailing on the Seabourn Legend, a very small ship (about 200 passengers) and they don't do any scuba excursions as an option for shore excursions. When I called, for instance, Anthony's Key Resort for the dolphin dive, they said they don't book individuals (which you've already discussed), but it confused me as my ship doesn't offer any diving at all. Does that mean I have to book them through the ship anyway? Like, when I first come aboard or something, have the ship contact AKR directly? I'm wondering why.

Thanks!

Jane

I recently went to Roatan on the Carnival Legend and we booked a private trip through Bananarama and had a good experience.

The seas were rough that day and Carnival cancelled all of their snorkel and SCUBA trips.

Since we had a private tour, we were able to dive. Bananarama had to take us to a place they didn't normally dive at because of the rough seas. We dove two sites - "The Cave and Wall" and "The Church". They water was calm in both of those areas.

It looked like a forest with all of the coral and sponges. It was really beautiful.

Mark

I think we are going to go with Subway Watersports. They are a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center and a PADI National Geographic dive center. Their reviews are reallly good. Has anyone had experience with them? Their private dive is $110 per person.

roatan has a nice sandy beach entry with no rocky steps,, you walk right in and there is amazing snorkeling immediately in front of you... go to to the west end of of the beach.. i believe this is where the ship's excursions take you also.. but you can get a cab and right next to where the ship's excursion there is a beach bar where you can get a chaise, drinks, etc.. for around 5 to 10 dollars.. the snorkeling there is amazing and I have snorkled, st. thomas, cozumel, aruba, nassau, dominican republic, belize but Roatan was definitely a hi light and easy entry into the water..

roatan has a nice sandy beach entry with no rocky steps,, you walk right in and there is amazing snorkeling immediately in front of you... go to to the west end of of the beach.. i believe this is where the ship's excursions take you also.. but you can get a cab and right next to where the ship's excursion there is a beach bar where you can get a chaise, drinks, etc.. for around 5 to 10 dollars.. the snorkeling there is amazing and I have snorkled, st. thomas, cozumel, aruba, nassau, dominican republic, belize but Roatan was definitely a hi light and easy entry into the water..

Do you have any info on dive ops that absolutely have nothing to do with the ship and won't be near the op the ships use?

Do you have any info on dive ops that absolutely have nothing to do with the ship and won't be near the op the ships use?

you would have to check with the ship.. when we were in roatan on rci the day we went to snorkle there was no ships excursion so we had the entire area to ourselves.. we were the only ship in port that day.. the port can not handle too many ships so no place should be over crowded.. we did the zipline first then went to the beach to snorkel..sorry but I can't really answer your question as I don't know which excursions your particular ship will be doing and where...

• 1 month later...

DH and son always use Subway in Roatan. (www.subwaywatersports.com) Owner Patrick Zingg will pick you up at pier. You are usually only ones on boat. Patrick is very flexible for times and sites. Best of all, Subway is located at a lovely resort (Turquoise Bay- & it is turquoise!) Non-divers/snorkelers are welcome to hitch a ride, bask on the beach, swim in the pool, and enjoy their yummy inexpensive restaurant. The guys like it so much that they want to go to Roatan for a dive trip- without the cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
DH and son always use Subway in Roatan. (www.subwaywatersports.com) Owner Patrick Zingg will pick you up at pier. You are usually only ones on boat. Patrick is very flexible for times and sites. Best of all, Subway is located at a lovely resort (Turquoise Bay- & it is turquoise!) Non-divers/snorkelers are welcome to hitch a ride, bask on the beach, swim in the pool, and enjoy their yummy inexpensive restaurant. The guys like it so much that they want to go to Roatan for a dive trip- without the cruise!

I did subway I enjoyed it

June, 2008 - Carnival Glory used Anthony's Key Resort. The dives were good, group was split amongst two dive boats - 12 -14 divers per boat, one dive master per 6 - 7 people.

Jeff came aboard Carnival Glory once the shipped docked. C cards were checked and paper work was completed prior to leaving the Amber Palace lounge. Once at AKR had to do a bouyance check dive.

Simple snacks and drinks were available for purchase at AKR docks. Dive boat returned to the dock between dives.

• 8 months later...

My son and I used Subway last month for a Discover Scuba dive. They will pretty well customize to whatever you want.

We had a great time. We ended up with a Dive Master and a Dive Master in training for just the two of us.

Their price includes pickup and dropoff at the port.

• 4 weeks later...

Carnival uses Anthony's Key and it is a good dive. They are not cattle boats and they are good dives. We stayed at Anthony's Key and the cruise divers went out with us one day, so the cruise ship divers are getting the same service as the people at the resort. We usually don't do the ship dives either, but due to the times in Roatan we had no choice and it worked out well.

We just spent a week at Anthony's Key diving. The 42' boats are some of the best we have dove on. The staff experienced and thoughtful. If you can do the dive with the dolphins it's well worth it.

The over all diving on Roatan is typical Caribbean. It does have some nice swim throughs and the corals are generally good although recent development along the coast has led to run off which is killing the coral in some places. You can come across large patches of dead brown coral especially along the west end.

• 1 month later...

Archived