Love Formal Nights?--Read this...

Rusty

NOW... here is my question... please define "sports shirt". I live in So. California and 90% of my "sport shirts" are Hawaiian. Many are nice, Tommy Bahamas, etc. I have very few solid color sport shirts. So... is that going to make the grade?

American Heritage Dictionary defines a Hawaiian shirt as a sport shirt. The general dictionary definitions for sport shirt call for a shirt with sleeves, collar and front buttons (either full length or polo style).

There are 2 types of Hawaiin shirts.

Type A- Is a Tommy Bahama shirt that is cut properly the patterns match and it just hangs/wears perfectly.

Type B- Is a Hawaiin shirt that your local gas station gives you everytime you buy a full tank of gas.

There's a big difference,although some people just don't see it.

One screams cheap,can you guess which one?

NOW... here is my question... please define "sports shirt". I live in So. California and 90% of my "sport shirts" are Hawaiian. Many are nice, Tommy Bahamas, etc. I have very few solid color sport shirts. So... is that going to make the grade?

Thanks for bringing up that question. We also live in So.California and my DH's shirt wardrobe is made of of several beautifully made Tommy Bahama silk shirts. On our next cruise to Mexico I'm sure he plans on wearing them to dinner as part of his "Smart Casual" look.

5341scd.jpg

I'm sorry, on Hawaiian shirts, unfortunately I only wear them for Luaus. But that's just me.

Blue Blazers are definitely more versatile than Black (Blue can be worn wtih Grey, Khaki and even taupe trousers).

As for Formal nights, I'm sitting on the fence. This last cruise, we didn't bring the formal clothes and opted to eat at the Lido on those nights. Although, the way my wife dresses, her "smart casual" would make it to any formal night based on what the majority of people were wearing. Although, on this cruise it seemed more people were more decked out than the last cruise...at least on the first formal night. What happened to the Lido dress code in the evening. I thought it was smart casual also?? I had a long sleeved dress shirt, dockers and dress shoes which I believe is "smart casual". I almost could have walked in to the Lido for dinner after sunbathing by the pool. There was no dress code enforced there at all. So on the next formal night we ate at the Lido and didn't change for dinner, and fit it in with everyone else.

I know it's been said many times, but if HAL isn't going to enforce any dress code rules at least in the Formal Dining Room at least on "smart casual" nights, then they may as well make it "atdc" (anytime dress code) dining. I lost count after a while on how many shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes people wore into the dining room on "smart casual" nights. And that is both MEN and WOMEN.

Really I don't mind it if there was no dress code, but there is supposed to be one and I abide by it (sorry, except for one time on Formal Night, we took our chance and probably got rude stares from those who were appalled that I didn't have a tie) but it's almost like not paying the fine on an overdue library book, nothing happens. Maybe they should have a sign at the door with "no tshirts, no shorts, no service".

Like I said, it is just my opinion. I think times are a changing, and it is becoming a highly competitive business so HAL has to consider if it wants to increase their business or cater to their loyal customers.

Just getting back from our cruise 3 days ago this is fresh in my mind. My husband and I love to dress up for the formal nights, and I pack 2 full length dresses with many different scarves, jackets and jewellery to change as my mood suits for each night. Husband brings his tux.

We found that most people dressed for the formal nights, but "formal" to some is smart casual to others. It doesn't bother me a bit. Even after the dinner hours most were still in their formal wear ( I would change shoes) wandering around the ship.

We never saw anyone in the dining room or the pg in shorts in the evening.

What I didn't like were the number of T-shirts in the PG. I thought that they were very strict about the dress code there, but it now seems like they are happy to have the seats full regardless of attire. Once again, how people dress does not have any effect on how much I enjoy my meal, but when does a blue or black t-shirt become become smart casual?

Wendy:)

Hi Rebecca 33, we were on the same cruise on the Zuiderdam from Venice. I was on the thread on the other forum but wasn't able to meet anyone since they changed the departure time which screwed up the muster drill time.

I hate to say it but I couldn't believe the number of people (and this was every evening that we ate in the main dining room) in shorts and t-shirts. I thought Jeans also were a "no no" but I saw those too. We had anytime dining, I don't know if that makes a difference if you might have had early or late fixed seating.

HOpe you had a great cruise.

Hi Rebecca 33, we were on the same cruise on the Zuiderdam from Venice. I was on the thread on the other forum but wasn't able to meet anyone since they changed the departure time which screwed up the muster drill time.

I hate to say it but I couldn't believe the number of people (and this was every evening that we ate in the main dining room) in shorts and t-shirts. I thought Jeans also were a "no no" but I saw those too. We had anytime dining, I don't know if that makes a difference if you might have had early or late fixed seating.

HOpe you had a great cruise.

Well then I stand corrected. ;) I didn't see it, but there you have it.

We ate around 8:30pm. We only did the open seating twice and twice we were given someone elses table for 2 in fixed at 8:15 or so...Too bad we didn't meet. I met with about 5 other CCr's during the trip. All great people. I did have a fab cruise...Thanks for asking!

Wendy:)

I always thought formal, semi-formal and casual were easy to understand - I think "smart casual" is harder to understand . . .

Regards, Richard

I agree that semi-formal was easy to understand but unfortunately the terminology was changed to "informal" which was really confusing.

Actually HAL has already eliminated informal nights and substituted smart casual for them.

Just as a point of information, the few very long HAL cruises still have the formal, informal, casual dress designations. These cruises also have only traditional dining. It will be interesting to see how long these last.

d_cherry.jpg.62125fceef99fc4b70492f0f66a6897e.jpg

My husband needs a new suit for January on the Eurodam ... whaddya think about something like this? That would turn a few heads on formal night!

(For those of you who are not Canadians, the gentleman pictured is Don Cherry, a Canadian hockey icon. For those of you who are Canadian, no introduction is necessary :D)

Archived